Looking for some games that will play on my cheap laptop.

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
Just got a new laptop, it was only $300 and I would like to find some games that will play on it. I got Pinball FX2 and Plants vs Zombies but I am still looking for more.

Here is my Laptop specs:
Toshiba Satellite C55-A5180
Intel® Celeron® Processor N2820
Intel® HD Graphics
4GB DDR3L 1333MHz memory
15.6" 1366x768

I know it isn't much but it was cheap.

Last edited:
I'd suggest copy/pasting the specs from that Toshiba link into your OP, you'll get more answers that way.

Last edited:
Definately Telltale Games' Walking Dead Season 1 and Season 2 as well as The Wolf among us.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out.

[edit]Damn, Steam is screwed up, keeps telling me the .exe is missing, tried everything on the steam support site and no help.

Last edited:
Well, I beat Half Life 2 today. Played well on my Laptop, 20-40fps according to fraps. Not good but playable.
With the 80% discount I bought Witcher 1 and 2 hoping I could play at least the first one, but I get the error that I don't meet the minimum requirements. Maybe I can stream it from my main PC.

I can't imagine Witcher playing on that. I had Intel 3000 graphics on a laptop and the damn thing would choke on 1080P movies sometimes, nevermind anything newer than 8 year old games.

Trackmania nation
Limbo
There is a cool Risk game on steam, a bit childish although but good.

And all the old shit btw... Dune for example. Dosbox get that.

If you never played it, or even if you have, System Shock 2 is cheap on Steam. It enriches one's life to play this game.

No, seriously, it does... And it seriously flies even on Intel gfx hardware.

Planescape Torment
Unreal Tournament
Titan Quest
Giants Citizen Kabuto
Fallout 1 & 2
Defcon
Brutal Doom / Hexxen
Pretty much the entire library of GOG.com :D They are running some really good deals right now,
http://www.gog.com/

Also, you could play some MAME / Emulator games on it.

Agreed! Load it up with emulators. DOSBox and GOG as mentioned will get you hundreds of good games, if you don't mind the classics. Steam's got quite a few older games that are good too, but not quite as many.

SCUMMVM would be a good idea too, so you can play all the old Lucas/Sierra games.

Quake Live or Q3A would probably run pretty well on there. I played it at low detail on an Atom based netbook a few years back, so it should do quite well on your laptop.

Things like Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet or PixelJunk Shooter are fun too and don't require a ton of hardware. ITSP is better than PJS if you ask me. FEZ, Monaco, and other Indie games will run well too generally speaking. I highly recommend FEZ.

you got steam and a gaming desktop? use the steam in game stream feature and you can play any game on a crappy laptop.

I can't imagine Witcher playing on that. I had Intel 3000 graphics on a laptop and the damn thing would choke on 1080P movies sometimes, nevermind anything newer than 8 year old games.

And he does not have HD 3000, it's HD 2000 (half the shaders). Basically anything 2006-onward is going to be unplayable.

One game that I can suggest is Freelancer. It should play okay, provided the game's crappy support for modern video cards does not stop you (last time I checked, there were mods to fix this). I played it at 1024x768 on my Radeon 8500, and then 1280x960 on my 6600 GT (HD 2000 is somewhere between those two cards), so you should have no issue - and it uses the mouse to fly around, so you don't have to cart around a joystick :D

IT won't run at your native resolution (just 4:3), but you can just stretch it.

And if you like RTS games, there's always: Total Annihilation, Age of Empires, Tropico (the original).

And for RPGs, you can probably get Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights working.

And if you found HL2 playable, you MIGHT be able to play Portal. I recall the engine being a bit more demanding than HL2, but not quite as heavy as TF2. You definitely can't play Portal 2 though. Oblivion might also be playable, and if not you can run the Oldblivion mod for sure.

You have plenty of processing power for emulation too, so that opens up another door.

Last edited:
Back