Looking for some build advice/suggestions

trasixes

Gawd
Been away from gaming/rig building since 2014ish, and have been too busy to keep up with the latest/greatest.

My son needs an upgrade/rebuild for his gaming rig. I'm looking for suggestions for a motherboard/cpu, RAM, and a solid GPU. I'm looking for the best price to performance ratio, but I don't really have a budget in mind. I'm not looking to break the bank, but I'd still like for it to be a solid upgrade from his current (i5 haswell quad core/RX580 gpu). Any/all recommendations are welcome, thank you!

Edit: This will be primarily used for 1440p gaming, and VR (Oculus Rift S)

Last edited:
Intel side, i5 10600K will work as the core. If you want to spend some more on that, then an i7 10700k will also work.

AMD side is likely where you'll the best price to performance ratio. The 3700x will be a nice CPU for you in my opinion.

The most important part of your build is likely the GPU and where most of the money is going to be spent. With the 3000 series and the upcoming $500 3070 card coming out, I think that's a good price/performance benchmark. Availability is going to suck if you're not lucky enough to get a card on release day. AMD is also releasing their latest cards soon (1-2 months) but with their 5700xt at the $350 range and the way their most recent keynote is pushing for gaming/performance, I wouldn't be surprise if all of their new cards starts at $500+

Intel side, i5 10600K will work as the core. If you want to spend some more on that, then an i7 10700k will also work.

AMD side is likely where you'll the best price to performance ratio. The 3700x will be a nice CPU for you in my opinion.

The most important part of your build is likely the GPU and where most of the money is going to be spent. With the 3000 series and the upcoming $500 3070 card coming out, I think that's a good price/performance benchmark. Availability is going to suck if you're not lucky enough to get a card on release day. AMD is also releasing their latest cards soon (1-2 months) but with their 5700xt at the $350 range and the way their most recent keynote is pushing for gaming/performance, I wouldn't be surprise if all of their new cards starts at $500+

Thank you for the reply, and suggestions.

I will flesh this out a bit, and say that - provided that luck is on my side - I will be going with an RTX 3070 for the GPU. I will be gaming on a 32" curved 1440p 144hz monitor - will the RTX 3070 work well for this?

Honestly I'm looking for the cheapest CPU that won't bottleneck things with the RTX 3070. I'm guessing that would be some flavor of Ryzen CPU, and a X570 motherboard for future proofing.

Back story - I used to be a hardcore enthusiast, but a wife, and son happened so that has all (mostly) taken a back seat for the better part of the last decade.

Ah, nice. For budget, maybe go with a B550 board. That should cover you with current Ryzen and Zen 3 for later down the road.

Good luck with the 3070 hunt.

Just wanted to update and say thanks!

For those interested... this is where I ended up...

Ryzen 9 3900X
Asus B550 Plus
2x16gb Corsair RGB DDR4
MSI RTX 3070 X TRIO
1TB NVME
3TB spinning drive
Corsair 750w fully modular PSU
Corsair H150i Pro RGB AIO (free from a friend)
Rosewill Cullinan case - (cheap deal!)

Some of these things I had already (PSU, 3TB drive), others I got a great deal on either used, or open box. In total, have roughly $1,200 invested.

Back