• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

S_I_N_ecof

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 8, 2004
Messages
1,795
Ok got 24gb memory and a 980x that should work. Guess I need moar power now. Looking fir a psu 650-750 should do it post or pm what ya have.


Looking to get a tad more umph out of my rig. Had to sell my 9900k 2080ti rig last month to pay bills. Manage to scrounge a asus p6x58d premium pretty cheap with a 930 and 12gb dominators. Then got a deal on a rx590 fat boy.
so looking for something cheapish to upgrade the 930.


Could also use some ddr3 1600 4gb sticks.
 
Last edited:
Thanks will look harder at fleabay lol I looked last night and all I saw was from China. To many bad deals from China so gunshy on that.
 
Pretty sure I've got an i7 950 lying around. Built a new Ryzen PC back around August. Was using it up until then. Haven't gotten around to disassembling and parting out. (see sig for Rig details)
 
Cool let me know what ya got and how much appreciate all the links and help.

couple questions though. besides the x5680 can be used single or dual and the w3680 is just single cpu use. What are the real differences. Seems to of seen somewhere the x5680 is unlocked where my 930 isn’t. But what referred to by unlocked in this instance?? Because I can change the multi and bclck on my 930 currently running 200 bclck @ 20 multi. Nice stable 4.0GHz.

From all research about only difference I see is the w3680 can overclock better. 4.85 vs 4.51 which isn’t really that big of a difference I’m sure both do well it’s a ymmv thing. I’m on water so keeping it cool isn’t an issue either. But another difference I saw was the x5680 had a higher max temp.
 
Yes. Dual QPI xeons can run individually. The X5675 is popular in the X58 overclocking t[H]read. Have run X5687 and X5690 in therm myself.

Sounds like you don't need the unlocked multi of W3680. Main advantage for people like me running Dell workstations such as t3500 which have no FSB, voltage, or multiplier adjustment outside using the Intel x-treme utility to change multi. Easy bump to 4.0ghz.
 
2 sets of Samsung DDR3L-1600 2x4GB kits.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20201224_154919017.jpg
    IMG_20201224_154919017.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20201224_154948723.jpg
    IMG_20201224_154948723.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 0
probably will currently winning an auction on a X5680 for 30$ shipped auction ends once out bid at 30$ or saturday lol. Texas is great lol I'm i Texas.
 
I still have my Evga board and x5660 , at about 4.4Ghz it should be on par with a Ryxen 5 1600 AB as I use to pull about 15,000 phsyx in FS
 
The X5675 is a bit of a special Westmere-EP. It's the only X56xx Xeon to have a 75w TDP and it has the highest boost percentage out of all Westmere-EP's.

I still run dual X5675's to this day, at stock clocks with 48GB of ram, and there's very little it can't do in comparison to more modern machines. I'm even running an m.2 SSD via pcie 4x (which is bootable) and SATA3 via an LSI raid hard flashed to IT mode.
 
You want a W3680. They will OC and run stable to boot. I had a few of these, they all did 4ghz out of the box with the best one hitting 4.6ghz.
I also have some triple channel ddr3 in 2gb sticks, might have some 4gb sticks but get the darn W3680.
 
Was thinking same. All the W and X series Westmeres are 95w and 130w from what I remember. The E and L series is where we drop to possible 80w and 40w TDP. Majority of those are capped at 1066mhz controller anyway.
 
Thanks all seems like I’ve worked a deal with yang357 for 4*4gb memory and deeFrag for his setup 980x mobo and 3*4gb memory. So going to 6/12 3.3 and 24gb mem from 4/8 2.8 and 12gb mem. Should definitely help FPS some lol. Plus I’m sure the 980 should oc a tad higher. Might need to find a tad better psu lol. Currently cougar 550w.
 
Good too hear you got the 980x. I was rooting for that option the chips can just be abit expensive sometimes. Definently get a better psu and see how far you can take the chip
 
The psu itself is a fine unit Johnnyguru (OklahomaWolfe) tested and certified. Just worried the wattage might be a tad on the just needed side.


maxxspeed I’m also running an m.2 via pci-e add in card but unfortunately it won’t boot from it so it’s my game drive at 1700 read speed. Booting from a Kingston 240Gb drive off the Marvell controller fir sata 3 versus intels sata 2 controller.
 
The psu itself is a fine unit Johnnyguru (OklahomaWolfe) tested and certified. Just worried the wattage might be a tad on the just needed side.


maxxspeed I’m also running an m.2 via pci-e add in card but unfortunately it won’t boot from it so it’s my game drive at 1700 read speed. Booting from a Kingston 240Gb drive off the Marvell controller fir sata 3 versus intels sata 2 controller.
It depends on the SSD. When I thought about doing it the Samsung 840 would boot on the PCIe card but the 850 pro had a firmware change that prevented it for some reason from what I read on this forum.

I just looked at the X5698 on ebay: WHOA! Pair up there for $999!
 
It depends on the SSD. When I thought about doing it the Samsung 840 would boot on the PCIe card but the 850 pro had a firmware change that prevented it for some reason from what I read on this forum.

I just looked at the X5698 on ebay: WHOA! Pair up there for $999!
And a evga sr-2 to run them is even harder to find
 
Last edited:
The psu itself is a fine unit Johnnyguru (OklahomaWolfe) tested and certified. Just worried the wattage might be a tad on the just needed side.


maxxspeed I’m also running an m.2 via pci-e add in card but unfortunately it won’t boot from it so it’s my game drive at 1700 read speed. Booting from a Kingston 240Gb drive off the Marvell controller fir sata 3 versus intels sata 2 controller.

You either have to mod your BIOS, or get an SSD with legacy mode. Such SSD's are becoming rare now, but their performance is still impressive and vastly faster than SATA3.
 
It’s an xpg m.2 nvme drive 1tb. I’m fine with the 240 as boot and this as storage. I had 2 of them left from old build. Put them both in but it smoked and burned the second slot lol, as well as my second m.2. My bad for not realizing one slot was for nvme or sata m.2 ant the other slot even though keyed fir nvme only supports sata m.2. luckily it still works with a single nvme.

my board is the asus p6x58d premium. read somewhere asus did not support m.2 boot this generation. Not sure what board deeFrag has still waiting on reply to pay and more info. But his deal is to good to resist. mobo 980x 3*4gb mem and a koolance 360 cpu block for 75$.
 
It’s an xpg m.2 nvme drive 1tb. I’m fine with the 240 as boot and this as storage. I had 2 of them left from old build. Put them both in but it smoked and burned the second slot lol, as well as my second m.2. My bad for not realizing one slot was for nvme or sata m.2 ant the other slot even though keyed fir nvme only supports sata m.2. luckily it still works with a single nvme.

my board is the asus p6x58d premium. read somewhere asus did not support m.2 boot this generation. Not sure what board deeFrag has still waiting on reply to pay and more info. But his deal is to good to resist. mobo 980x 3*4gb mem and a koolance 360 cpu block for 75$.

Shit!

You'd think there would at least be some warning silk screened on the PCB warning you of an issue fitting nvme in the second slot...
 
Well it did say one nvme and one sata but both were keyed the same. I tried it and failed lol really my fault for not listening to reviews. As one stated they had same issue. I’m glad it didn’t smoke both of them and still works with one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top