Looking for new headphone suggestions

Term-X

2[H]4U
My Grado SR-225s (not the I) are hitting the shitter. The original cables "cracked" over time, so I rewired them myself. I was getting the Grado "grattle", which I have temporarily remedied several times and now the headband adjustment point is falling apart. Bottom line is, I don't really "baby" my headphones but nor do I tug or throw them around. They accidentally dropped maybe 2 or 3 times with no significant stress to speak of.

While I -love- the sound that Grados produce, "bright" if you will, I cannot stand their lack of build quality. It's my third set (of Grados, not 225s) and a lot of these problems are recurring. I'm tired of it.

So I am on a quest to find a suitable, quality replacement. Though, outside of Sennheisers (which, IMO, sound like shit. It's like listening to a tuna can. I'm not sure if it's changed since a couple years back but it was horrid), I do not have perhaps experience with the variety of headphones out there.

Budget $300 max

Preferences, in order:

- Build quality (aka good cabling, perhaps with sleeving)
- Sound quality (pluses being brightness, adequate bass, good highs and non-muddy midrange)
- Comfort

I have no particular preference to either closed or open cans.

Last edited:
What's your source? As in what will you use to power the headphones?

The Denon D2000 sounds nothing like Grados... Beyond that they are somewhat delicate in nature and are not something I would be comfortable tossing around. They're well built, but I don't think they stand up well to abuse either.

Grados sound like Grados, period the end. If you want Grado sound and don't mind a little work I'd recommend a pair of the SR60i and then taking the time to modify them, remove the cloth grill in front of the drivers/poke holes behind the driver to increase airflow and bass response/remove the button at a minimum and preferably replace the plastic screen as well. Finally a new cable and pads or even new wooden or aluminum cups finishes them off. You can upgrade the sound big-time before ever spending any extra money on them.

If you have any other preferences or info about what else you'd prefer it'll help because if you say you want something that sounds like grados, you want another pair of them.

@BRAB

Creative Titanium HD (games)

Aside from that, an old RCA 2500HT receiver.

@guitarslingerchris

I understand I probably will not get something with my preferences to absolutely match the Grado sound signature. But at the same time, I don't want to go out of my way and spend more money buying a set of Grados, to then have to spend more to modify them. I don't trust my ability outside of recabling and I'd like something with peace of mind and warranty. Grado "warranty" in Canada has proven costly at best.

But at any rate, I'll take your advice and edit my preferences, since using the words "similiar to Grados" is causing too much confusion.

I'm going to throw my vote into the ring for the D2000 as well. I am a huge Grado fan, having owned several pairs. I prefer their sound in a huge way to any other headphone. I always found them incredibly uncomfortable, however. A few years back I had a mass exodus of most of my headphone equipment. The only thing I kept was my D2000. It is one of the only non-Grado headphones that I truly enjoyed, and it did things that Grado's could not. Much more comfortable, and suitable for gaming/movies. I won't say they sound like Grado's, per say. As has been said, nothing does. But to someone who likes the Grado sound above all else, I think they are the next best thing. I think they have a sound that will be pleasing to you. They can be had at J&R for around $250 if you call their sales dept. I believe.

As far as build quality, this is the one area you may have concern. The headphones themselves seem pretty sturdy (I myself am pretty rough on headphones, and have never had a problem over several years). The cable, however, is pure and total shit. It's a stupid tangley mess, drives me nuts. If you have the know how, they are fairly easy to recable. If you go with these headphones, it's something to consider. As far as comfort goes, I think they are great. I can use them for hours without issue.

Another consideration could be AD900's. They are open, so a little more airy, which is always nice. I felt they were a little less lifelike than the D2000. Less exciting. Still, a pair of headphones I really hated to let go of. They are suuuuuuper comfortable too. Soft pads, very light, very little clamping force. The downside is that they don't sit very firm on your head. If you are a headbanger, you're going to send them flying :D

Stay away from things like their closed off brother (A900) or cans like Beyers. Based on your desire for something bright, I don't see these suiting you.

What you want is Grado sound (with a bit better bass) for under $300 , with detachable/upgradable cables that have an excellent balance. Honestly for $300 its not really going to be possible.

You have to either lower your requirements or consider sticking with Grado's. Grado's have a very unique sound signature and finding that signature for restrictions you have listed just isn't going to happen.

The only can's I can even think of that come close are the AKG K 702's ($289 on Amazon). They are extremely well balanced , offer a detachable cable that's upgradable and is built quite well. They are not low profile like Grado's and some find there sound quite analytical which you may or may not like. They are not easy to drive (unlike Grado's) and will require an amp to reach full potential (although a simple Fiio E11 should do the trick for ampage and is cheap).

I don't think the D2000 is the right can for you. I just bought them about a week ago and they really are wonderful , amazingly comfortable , sound incredible but they sound NOTHING like Grado's.

Perhaps you should just buy a pair of the SR 60's or 80i's for portable use and consider the PS500 for instance for use at home. That way you'll get the Grado sound you love on the go and at home you'll have a great pair for gentle use there as well that you can "baby" to last.

I decided to go with the AT AD900s. I'm pretty satisfied for the most part; not quite Grado but good enough. My only complaint at the moment is that some higher pitch voices actually "hurt" my ears. Not like literal pain but I'm not sure how to describe it. Almost like a hiss but not really.

At any rate, I'll see how they are after they've burned in.

I decided to go with the AT AD900s. I'm pretty satisfied for the most part; not quite Grado but good enough. My only complaint at the moment is that some higher pitch voices actually "hurt" my ears. Not like literal pain but I'm not sure how to describe it. Almost like a hiss but not really.

That's sibilance, and you can try getting a warmer amp (tubes), or EQ down the highs.

My only complaint at the moment is that some higher pitch voices actually "hurt" my ears. Not like literal pain but I'm not sure how to describe it. Almost like a hiss but not really.

Try this.

No offence to anyone here but fuck all these suggestions!

Best headphone for ~$300?

Sony PFR-V1.

Goofy looking as fuck but it has BY FAR the BEST highs and mid-range I've ever heard. The bass although not BOOMING is certainly accurate to a "T". Sound range is super wide, almost sounds like a pair of audiophile studio monitors sitting on your desk.

Perfect audio experience. People over at Head-Fi have compared them to Stax costing 10x as much and found the PFR-V1 comparible. Thats a high bar to reach.

Heres the link to eBay for them. DO NOT MISS OUT ON THESE! I have already ordered a second pair in case something ever happens to my current pair. These are life-time headphones hands down. Have no desire to even try anything else. And that is a fact. Period.

Good luck with anything else you might purchase, but I strongly would not recommend anything else. This is my one and only recommendation...and I've owned a LOT of headphones in my day...so many...

Oh and they are super lightweight, super sturdy, and the most comfortable, stress free, zero pressure, zero ear stuffiness headphones available I'd say. I honestly sit at my desk for nearly hours at a time with them on with nothing even playing...just because I either forget they are on my head or I just don't bother too cause they're that comfortable.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
They do look rather odd, though I think the support style should work well. Reviews are also fairly good on the net, but I think JoeUser is a bit too enthusiastic about them :p

Hyperbole such as comparing "to Stax costing 10x as much" is what I usually look out for when trying to decide if a particular headphone is the FOTM (flavor of the month).

They do look rather odd, though I think the support style should work well. Reviews are also fairly good on the net, but I think JoeUser is a bit too enthusiastic about them :p

Hyperbole such as comparing "to Stax costing 10x as much" is what I usually look out for when trying to decide if a particular headphone is the FOTM (flavor of the month).

I can understand you thinking I'm being too enthusiastic, but they really are amazing...if mine broke and they were still selling for the original $600 I would buy them at that price with no hesitation.

Are they ugly as sin? Sure are! But are they the most comfortable? Sure are!

Either way you can not go wrong with these...like I said...I'll wait for your "Thank You"!

As far as the Stax comments the Stax are OBVIOUSLY better...but reviews on Head-Fi comparing them the guy said that he was truly impressed and that they DID sound better than the Stax Mini's...and ARE comparable in detail and sound stage when side by side to other Stax. Flavor of the Month no sir! Just the real fuckin deal! ;-)

Denons as Grado replacements ... hahaha, good one!

Try an older Sennheiser HD250 Linear II if you can find it on ebay, then thank me for it. :)

Either way you can not go wrong with these...like I said...I'll wait for your "Thank You"!

I'm perfectly happy with my current headphones, thank you very much :) My backlog of DIY amps on the other hand, there's a lot of variation going on :D

As far as the Stax comments the Stax are OBVIOUSLY better...but reviews on Head-Fi comparing them the guy said that he was truly impressed and that they DID sound better than the Stax Mini's...and ARE comparable in detail and sound stage when side by side to other Stax. Flavor of the Month no sir! Just the real fuckin deal! ;-)
Do you have a link for this? I'd like to see a bit more context of the claim and wasn't able to find it on head-fi.

Back