Looking for new gaming headset, $65 or less!

Punkrulz

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

Looks like my Altec Lansing headset is finally taking a dump. The wire going to the right earphone is finally giving out and cuts in and out. I'm getting ready to go shopping for some headphones, but unfortunately I know Walmart has a limited in-store selection as opposed to their online selection. If I'm going to be resorted to ordering online, I want something that you guys think is going to do well!

Sound is a plus, I definitely want to be able to hear things coming as best as I could. I already know 5.1 is a gimmick so I'm not too worried about that.

Comfort is also key, especially for those long gaming sessions. The altecs weren't bad, however sometimes after long sessions the cartilage on my ears would begin to be sensitive to touch and be sore. If I could get full headphones that completely cover the ear, I might try them... but anything that is known comfortable is good.

Decent mic: Don't like crappy quality, something that I don't have to up the DB to the max just so people can hear me... but then again I know that differs based on ventrilo codecs and windows (Windows Vista x64 atm, Windows 7 soon).

In-line volume control w/ mute for mic would be nice too!

I haven't checked out Best Buy or anything yet, but what do you guys think would be great that would be preferably under $65 / $60 if I can help it!

Thanks!

I've owned a few headsets, my Sennheiser PC-151 would probably fit your budget and it's pretty decent... Actually it looks like they're down to $35 at Newegg, used to cost twice that. However if I were you I'd just get a good quality pair of headphones and a discrete mic, one of those Zalman clip-ons or whatever. You'll get way WAY better bang for your buck that way.

You can tie or clip the wire on those clip-on mics to the headphone wire so it's still just one wire on your desk or whatever, beyond that it's really not any more cumbersome or uncomfortable than a boom mic imo...

Ok, so everyone else: If I go with the zalman clip-on mic alternative, what would again be a good pair of regular stereo headphones that would be close to the budget?

JVC HA-RX700 / 900 are both under your budget IIRC, including the price of the mic (the RX900 maybe just so), they have a somewhat different sound signature, some people actually prefer the cheaper RX700s. For gaming and rock music I live mine, I retired my Senn HD-555 for use only w/certain types of music (tho admittedly they were never a great choice for gaming and lots of bass).

Audio Technica ATH-AD500 maybe? Or Grado SR60? Not sure what other good choices you have within that budget tbh. A lot of people seemed to be raving about the JVCs when I got 'em, saying they were awesome for the price and whatnot (big thread here and on HeadFi.org as well).

You gonna use 'em for gaming mostly? Competitive or semi-competitive online gaming (where soundstage > * ) or just general gaming? (nice bass for explosions also welcomed, good range, etc.) Answers to those will probably help others give you additional suggestions.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Primarily these will be used for a range of gaming. Games right now include things such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare & World at War, as well as World of Warcraft. One of the biggest concerns I still have is the use of this clip-on mic. A lot of people said that the "high sensitivity" rating on it really isn't there. I like it when people are able to hear me, even when I don't have to talk loudly. I'm not sure how much that will happen when the microphone is clipped under me, instead of being presented in front of my mouth like a traditional headset.

The RX700's and the microphone may be a good combination if that was the route I wanted to go, however a lot of users were complaining about getting hot awfully quickly. I also don't know how well the clip-on microphone would connect to the wire of that headset, it doesn't appear anyone on the Amazon reviews commented on that besides the fact that a thicker wire is better.

Ugh... I hate making decisions lol!

Back