Looking for ideas how to sort my mp3 collection please

Cov

Gawd
I have collected so many mp3 files that I would like to sort out the big mess on my HDD now.
I wonder what you think would be a nice way to sort them possibly.
For example ...

1. A to Z ...
Alanis Morissette
Alphaville
Amy Whinehouse
Spargo
Steve Wonder
Tanya Stephens
ect

2. By genre ...
Pop
Raggae
Meditation
Hip Hop
Jazz
Blues
Soundtracks
R & B
Instrumental
World

3. By country / language ...
English
Africa
Japan
France
Spain
Italy
German
Indonesia
Philippins
Miscellaneous

Besides this, when I look for a modern program that helps with indexing / tagging ... google comes up with something called "file / mp3 sorter" on many different websites .... that's a little strange.
Has anyone any experience with this one ?

Thanks in advance.

its a bit time consuming, but its a great learning project

use ampache :)

i LOVE it

I use Media Monkeyand Songbird. As for how I actually sort them on disk. I have mine set up by the following (a lil over 75,000 songs).

HDD:\B\Beastie Boys\Track.mp3

I've tried sorting them other methods but it got to be a pain once my collection hit a few thousand. I have several friends with over 100k tracks and they sort them the same way and have no complaints.

All my stuff is on DVD, but the format on DVD is:

Artist\Artist - Album Name\Artist - Track Number - Title.<ext>

All of the stuff I've got is in FLAC format, actually, as I don't collect mp3 files, haven't for years now. Sure I'll grab an mp3 if someone tosses it my way to demo a file or check out a new artist, but I don't keep 'em because if I like it I'll buy it. One example is Ronald Jenkees, an absolute pure genius and fountain of talent that put up some of his material on YouTube just about 1.5 years ago and now he's quite popular.

I grabbed one or two of his mp3 files he had available - as well as watching many of his YouTube clips hundreds of times over, the guy is amazing, truly. When his first CD came out, I grabbed that and then converted everything to FLAC as usual and dumped the mp3 files. He just put out a single track from his much awaited second album and I grabbed that a few days ago, and when the second album is officially put out, I'll get that CD and do the FLAC save once more. I keep the original CDs I have in storage so they don't get damaged, btw.

Right now I've got 91 DVDs full of FLAC files, all hand ripped and hand tagged using Tag&Rename, the "best" tagging utility you're likely to find out there. Each file I have is fully tagged out including artwork embedded in the file itself too - so silly folder.jpg crap for me.

The best way to do this is put time and effort into it and do it right the first time. How you sort is entirely up to you, of course. At least you'll have some stuff to listen to when you're working, right? :)

I only have about 13,000 songs so iTunes is still working for me. I don't really care how they are organized on my disk since I can just right click the song and hit "reveal in finder" if I need to see where the file physically is. I do have my tracks broken down a little bit

Z:/music/random singles/genre
Z:/music/complete albums/artist - album [year]

Dude, I have 135Gb of music, thats roughly 2260 albums/CD's (whatever you kids call 'em nowdays:)) I have them partitioned off my main drive and also backed up to a separate drive (just in case). And hard copy backups on DVD(again, just in case:rolleyes:).

Anyways,not bragging, but all I've ever done was keep them in alphabetical order.
Recording Artist->Album
That's it, worked for me for years.
(Oh yea, I also include cover art, choose "Thumbnails" and allow it to be the artwork for the folder I see. That way, when I'm browsing, I can recognize it by sight.
Buy the way when I say albums, I''m talking about those big black CD's :D.

Oh, on a side note, my 13 year old daughter read this while I was posting and said, "Oh, I've heard you and mom talk about albums." :)rolleyes:)
But then again, shes never known life with out air conditioning:rolleyes:.
God bless the man who invented central air:D.

Thanks for all your replies !!
I think I'll go with Artist -> (Year) Album -> Song Title.
And besides this I'm gonna create an own folder "Samplers" just for mixed songs.
And then one folder for Techno / Electro, one for Asian songs and one for Meditation .... I need to chill out sometimes, you know ? ;)

Have started going through the albums to correct the taggings (oh boy, what a mess) and noticed some of the songs within the albums are missing too.
Lots to do to get them sorted ... :)

Back