• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for high quality $45-50 PSU

SpongeBob

The Contraceptive Under the Sea
Joined
Jan 15, 2011
Messages
939
Having trouble deciding, had an Antec die on me but a Rosewill last 6+ years and counting so I have no loyalty of fancy brands. Except Corsair or their HX line or whats left of it... But any who.. I need a high value unit that I don't need to worry about since it's a work computer.

this is the specs:

Work rig on 10 hours a day every day.
e4300 overclocked a bit
Abit IP35 pro
2x2gb ram
1 hd
2x 6600GT's
few fans


Thx
 
Do those gpus need Pci-e power connectors or do they draw they're power from the socket? If so get the Corsair 430w unit
 
Do those gpus need Pci-e power connectors or do they draw they're power from the socket? If so get the Corsair 430w unit

from the socket but eventually this comp will likely run something around 5770 level so want a connector for it. The 430 I thought about but looking at the reviews on newegg it's sort of a coin flip if you'll get a good or a bad unit :/

Any thoughts on Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W?
 
The 430w is a good unit and will pull the 5770 with ease. Those who had problems with it probably got the ones used by the delivery personal to test their football skills
 
I've got an Antec Earthwatts Green 380 in my server. Its not been running for very long yet, but seems like a quality PSU- just as a reminder though- it DOES NOT come with a power cord, so if you don't have an extra lying around its probably cheaper to look at a different unit.
My only suggestion with a machine thats on as much as that one is to get the highest 80+ cert you can afford.
 
Corsair 430CX for less than $20. That's all you'll need, even to power something on the 5770 level. It can probably power a 6850 with little trouble.

The main complaint against the 430CX is that it's not as high quality compared to some of the other units Corsair released for the mainstream market, specifically the 400CX which preceded it.
 
How does it compare too
XIGMATEK ACXTNRP-PC402 400W
Antec EarthWatts Green
Rosewill Green Series
 
430 is plenty im running a 6 year old antec power trio it works fine other than the fan power thats built in quit working, i put a 3 pin molex and hooked it to my fan controller
 
How does it compare too
XIGMATEK ACXTNRP-PC402 400W
Antec EarthWatts Green
Rosewill Green Series

If you can get the Eartchwatts green 430W at a similar price, do it. Earlier models were a Seasonic based unit, and later models are a Delta Elelctronics based unit. Both very solid for the price (Delta is a reputeable OEM PSU manuf). As noted, the main complaint against the CX430 from Corsair is it's rated at 25C... an abnormally low temp for any running computer (lower than my 120+240 rad setup could cool my Xeon X3440 [i7 860s] down to at idle temps), as the PSU is never that cool, especially under load, and a cheap trick used by some shady PSU vendors to "boost" their wattage ratings (as a cooler air for PSU can make it deliver power more efficiently and cleanly, if jonnyguru, hwsecrets, [H]ard|OCP, SPCR,etc PSU reviews are any indicator).
 
The CX430 is rated at 30C, and it is perfectly capable of functioning under normal operating temperatures.
 
from the socket but eventually this comp will likely run something around 5770 level so want a connector for it. The 430 I thought about but looking at the reviews on newegg it's sort of a coin flip if you'll get a good or a bad unit :/

Any thoughts on Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W?

Grab the 500w model. I'm running rig in my sit on it, second system it has been running actually. Very strong for price.

t's $69 right now but it goes on sale for $40-$50 regularly

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=antec_earthwatts-_-17-371-007-_-Product
 
Last edited:
Good choice , always liked Antec, bout to pick up a new psu myself. Might have to check out their new models.
 
from the socket but eventually this comp will likely run something around 5770 level so want a connector for it. The 430 I thought about but looking at the reviews on newegg it's sort of a coin flip if you'll get a good or a bad unit :/

Any thoughts on Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W?

For those those thinking of the EA-380W make sure you don't need two PCI-E 6 pin connectors for a video card (like my Nvidia 460) There is only one plug available on that PSU.

Since it's going in a HTPC I'm changing to a 5770 card and put the 460 back into a sli system.
 
For those those thinking of the EA-380W make sure you don't need two PCI-E 6 pin connectors for a video card (like my Nvidia 460) There is only one plug available on that PSU.

Since it's going in a HTPC I'm changing to a 5770 card and put the 460 back into a sli system.
I don't think any PSUs in that wattage range have two PCI-E connectors. In any case, if that's an issue, all you need to do is use a molex to PCI-E adapter.
 
I'm a big fan of the Antec Earth Watts PSU line. I have one of the old 380's running for over 2 years and I just built my sister a Sandy Bridge PC with the new 380D Green model. I also have a EW650 that's been in a couple different systems over the last few years. The Earthwatts line has been pretty reliable and it's very affordable. I did put a Corsair in my wifes computer since it wasn't a budget build, but most of my builds are so I stick with the Earthwatts series for those.
 
The new EarthWatts 380D Green units from Antec are excellent. They are on the high side of 80+ Bronze, are relatively quiet, and you can find them cheap if you look around. The Corsair CX series might be found for cheaper at times, but just aren't as good. I built a friends computer with a Phenom II X3, a GTX 470, and everything else powered by the EarthWatts. It's a dual rail design @ 15 and 18 amps respectively. Furmark and Prime95 together caused a max draw of 325 watts at the wall, so that would end up being a load of well under 300w. I recommend it, especially for more modest systems. It's the cheapest PSU I would consider using for my own system.
 
How does it compare too
XIGMATEK ACXTNRP-PC402 400W
Antec EarthWatts Green
Rosewill Green Series


I have that XIGMATEK PC402 400W psu in my sever at home last 4 mos or so. it is pretty good quiet and came in a little cloth bag like my corsair vx500w and tx650w. I got it on a pretty aggressive sale $30~ @ newegg i think it is nearly $60 now so i'm not sure I'd pay that much for it.


but now complaints providing stable power with no problems so far
 
Back
Top