Looking for Headphones

evoluti0n

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
85
Well, its spring break and I've been really wanting some really nice headphones. I live in a freshman dorm, apartment style though, and love my music. But out of respect to my roommate I use my headphones when he's working, sleeping, on the phone etc...

I have some cheap headphones from Walmart and I cant stand them after a while since they dont cover my ears. I need something new! So I've been looking at the following headphones. I'm kinda stuck because I dont know much about headphones and wasting money on a bad set of cans would be awful. If you think of anything better, please let me know! (My spending limit is $200)

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80

Sony MDR-V700

I really want something comfortable, yet sounds very good. I'm willing to spend the money because I want something that I wont regret getting.

Thanks!
 
easy. they cost about $200 but the Audio Technica A900 is closed so it won't bother your roomate and have the best sound unamped under $200.
 
I agree with spaceman. I've heard good things about them. I would put those and the DT770s on your short list.
 
well..grado sr60 for rock music (less than $80)

or senn hd 595 (50 ohm version)..

both dont need amp but an amp will add some more juice to them
 
Some roommates (like mine :)) will complain about open cans, like the grado sr60's, because they leak a lot of sound. I just sold my grado sr80's and bought the a900's because of this.
 
The a900's look very very nice, though they are a bit more than what I want to pay ($50 more, but on a college budget...thats a lot of pizza nights :p )

I'll have to think about it long and hard, and I agree with you rip about the open cans...I realized that would be a problem with my roommate, not that he would care too much, but I'd rather have it closed.

So far the 770's is what I'm sticking too. I'll make an amp this summer, hopefully I learned enough in my computer engineering major to craft one.
 
i got my a900's last week and i love em.
got em from audiocubes for 191 shipped so that should fit in your budget.
im running em unamped and it seems to work out fine.
 
Yeah, i was pretty much in the same position - tossing up between the DT-770 80 and A900. In the end i went with the A900's - very pleased with them.
 
You could always look at used headphones if you want to save money. I got my a900's on headfi's for sale/trade forum for around $150 shipped and they are in excellent almost new condition.
 
The a900's look very very nice, though they are a bit more than what I want to pay ($50 more, but on a college budget...thats a lot of pizza nights :p )

I'll have to think about it long and hard, and I agree with you rip about the open cans...I realized that would be a problem with my roommate, not that he would care too much, but I'd rather have it closed.

So far the 770's is what I'm sticking too. I'll make an amp this summer, hopefully I learned enough in my computer engineering major to craft one.

Then go for the A500 or A700. Both should be in your budget, and still be a better choice unamped than the 770. No doubt, the 770 is a good can, but they benefit from an amp much more than the Audio-Technicas. I also find the A700 to be more comfortable than the 770, due mainly to the fact that its very light, and sits loose on your head.
 
Whats your source? If its your computer, and your not a big gamer, buy a TBAAM (its from turtle beach, cant remember the whole name) and Alessandro MS-1s. You will love it.
 
Looks like im getting the A900's then, 179 from audiocubes is a very good price! Btw, for those wondering, I will use these on my laptop/desktop/ipod.


Thanks all!
 
Looks like im getting the A900's then, 179 from audiocubes is a very good price! Btw, for those wondering, I will use these on my laptop/desktop/ipod.


Thanks all!

Personally I would have got the DT770pro 80ohm. More comfortable in my opinion, especially for extended listening. That, plus they are cheaper at 140$ new.

Either way though, if this is your introduction to high end audio, they'll put a smile on your face. :D

~Enjoy
 
they are kinda opposites.

770 = bass and lots of it but mids and highs kinda suck.

900 = less bass, way less and better mids and highs.
 
Another vote for A900's. I got them about a month ago. Awesome. I also have some Super.fi Pro's and they make great companions. I use my A900's on the computer and my Super.fi's on the go. Works out great.

A900's are very well rounded headphones. They don't do anything particularly great, but as a whole it's a very good choice.

DT 770's have much better bass (bloated to some though), but the midrange and high's suffer. Unless you get a very good amp or better yet, Darth Beyers. *drools*

Senn 595's have better highs and probably midrange, but are sorely lacking in the bass department.

Those are the 3 most popular choices for $200.

Personally I would have got the DT770pro 80ohm. More comfortable in my opinion, especially for extended listening. That, plus they are cheaper at 140$ new.

Where can you find DT 770's for $140 new? :eek:


PS: Oh, and don't go to head-fi. Your wallet will thank you :p Or go and learn more than you'd ever thought you wanted to know and end up spending way over budget or risk regretting what could've been. :D Once you go to head-fi, your first purchase won't be your last....
 
PS: Oh, and don't go to head-fi. Your wallet will thank you :p Or go and learn more than you'd ever thought you wanted to know and end up spending way over budget or risk regretting what could've been. :D Once you go to head-fi, your first purchase won't be your last....

Exactly..the more u read u can probably want more cans, more variety of amps, dacs, cables, grills...the possibility is endless...

keep your credit card away while browsing these forum:D :D
 
Ditto here.. Ive been on there for 2 weeks, have the 250ohm DT770's, and a Mini-Amp, with the mini-dac enroute.. sigh

that was one of the fastest 800 dollars that I have spent in a while
 
Some roommates (like mine :)) will complain about open cans, like the grado sr60's, because they leak a lot of sound. I just sold my grado sr80's and bought the a900's because of this.

You should have lost the roommates and picked up some SR125s/250s.. ;)
 
Where can you find DT 770's for $140 new? :eek:

It's an E-bay seller who sells new ones for 199$, with the option of "or best offer". Most people have offered him 140$ and he accepts.

And don't worry about what the doom sayers say about Head-Fi. ^_^, your wallet will thank you for freeing it of all that extra cash it had to carry around. If you really get into it, you may even learn what the Ramen soup diet is.

^_^
 
Back
Top