Looking for good & simple 2.1 for $200 or less

G'morning all,

I've seen the other threads. I've seen mentioned:

Swan M10
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
Logitech Z-2300

Right now I have a Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 setup that I got in '01/'02. It's good for gaming but annoying for music and anything else; the background hiss seems to be getting worse.

I use a X-Fi XtremeMusic.

I'm probably going to keep my ADA995 setup for FPS gaming/maybe movies, and use 2.1 for everything else (music/non-FPS gaming/etc).

The following critera are not going to change:
-I don't want headphones. :)
-I don't want to mess around with amps, subs, etc. right now. So it will have to be something made for a computer setup.

So, I've listed three, should I go with one of those or is there something better that meets my criteria?

Thanks! :)

Thanks, that certainly looks viable. :) I realize it's not what I said, but I see how it all connects and it looks simple enough. :D

the setup of the "seperate parts route" should be as easy as the setup of pc speakers.

the only thing i would change is to look for a used amp instead of the t-amp.
only go for the t amp if size is a concern, if not a used amp or reciver has more power and more inputs for future upgrades.

I'd go for the trusty Altec Lansing MX5021.

Or if you don't mind spending $50 above your current limit the FX6021 will shake your room and annoy your neighbors. Excellent quality.

+1 on the insignias, I use 6 of them in a 6.1 setup and another 2 for my "monitors" when I'm not using headphones. They are wonderful speakers and can be easily modded, google will back me up on that :cool:.

Thanks for the info, gents... hopefully the prices are still pretty close to that when I get paid next week. ;)

the setup of the "seperate parts route" should be as easy as the setup of pc speakers.

the only thing i would change is to look for a used amp instead of the t-amp.
only go for the t amp if size is a concern, if not a used amp or reciver has more power and more inputs for future upgrades.

I'd agree. T-Amps are nice but an actual receiver will be better. If you can push your budget only a little then dandragonrage's suggestions are great. If you can't push it at all the Pro Media 2.1 is the best of the bunch, just don't get the GMX.

for someone that just wants good quality music rather then bring the house down loudness will the promedia be fine?

There's a reason why bookshelf speakers and computer speakers are different. Do you have the desktop real estate for them? I opted for my pro medias, well knowing i was losing out in sound quality.

1) With dual monitors, my desktop on my desktop, and my xbox 360, I simply didn't have the 2 feet of (just) width necessary to accommodate the insignias.

2) For $110 (with a coupon), I walk into bestbuy with 2 good satellites, a good subwoofer, a headphone port with a really convenient volume knob, and a line in port for my xbox 360.

3) The insignias are about $70 now and a bare minimum, decent amp costs $40. I don't care how much a decent subwoofer would cost, but it's more than I'm willing to pay. I would have to go online for a good deal on amps/receivers and subwoofers, and pay to wait for shipping.

4) Whichever you get, for $110, you should be comfortable knowing that you got more than what you paid for, I just preferred having the sub for what I payed.

Back