Looking for good flash for <$300

vmerc

Limp Gawd
What are your suggestions on this?

I have a Canon G5 with a couple of lenses and filters. I made my own green screen for fun shots, and I hope to get good enough to take some decent protrait shots of family and such. I know I have a long way to go, but I am working my way toward it slowly, learning different photographic concepts one at a time. I think getting a (hotshoe) flash is the next step I need toward getting some experience with better lighting. I would eventually like to drop the cash on some light stands and make a good studio area for taking pictures, but for now I need to make sure my interest lasts. :)

I was looking at the Canon 430EX for $299 at Circuit City, and it seems to do everything I need. It's Canon, and my camera is Canon. I'm thinking that helps with interoperation. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I'm looking at the feature on the 430EX that lets you use it as a slave, and maybe later on I can get the higher series flash that is the flash-master for more complex lighting configs.

I know some of you will laugh at my camera, but any true expert knows that you don't need top of the line stuff to learn good skills.

Ok, so go for it, and let me know what you think!

I've heard the UI of the 430 is nice. If you want something a little cheaper, the 420 is supposed to be a good deal.

If you're only using it on a G5, then I'd look at the 420EX pretty hard. If you planning on getting a dSLR in the future, then a 430EX would give you some additional functions once you get that far.

The 430 is 50 bucks cheaper at buydig, and you can get the 420 for 199 there as well.

So would you say that the 430 is overkill for my G5? Sounds like you're saying certain features will not work on my G5.

I bought the 430EX for $230 at Dell 3 weeks ago. I love it. It has a lot of great features. If you are going to keep using it on the G5, then I would stay with the 420EX, but if you plan to upgrade to a DSLR I would say welcome to the club, and get the 430EX...

vmerc said:
So would you say that the 430 is overkill for my G5? Sounds like you're saying certain features will not work on my G5.

I think the main benefits of the 430 are faster cycle time, nicer UI, and manual controls/FEC. Not sure if you'll need the faster cycle time with the G5. How much does a 420 run these days? 175ish?

There is a nice .2 second recharge rate on the 430EX. i just bought it and I can say it totally owns. Nice LCD on the back and some other very cool features.

Look for a used 420EX. I use my all the time and haven't been disappointed. I think you can get them as cheap as $150 now, or even less!

Back