Looking for cool and quiet case

frankiee

n00b
Hello!

So I am quite new in this forum, and also quite new to building, so I wondered if I might ask you some questions?

As indicated in the title, I am in search of a certain type of case. Well I know that "cool" and "silent" are somewhat contradictory attributes, but I think it is really about finding the best balance. So therefore, for example I don't think I would trade a 5% improvement in performance for 20% more noise.

So this is roughly what will go inside the machine:

- Rampage IV Extreme _or_ P9X79-E WS
- 4930K, mildly OCed
- 64GB of DDR3 1866 Memory, so RAM will be maxed out (but not OCed much, if at all)
- one NVIDIA TITAN GPU (should also be cooling / energy headroom left for adding a 2nd one in the future)
- maybe PCI Firewire card (depends on the mobo selection)
- 1000-1200W PSU (maybe Corsair AX1200i)
- one blu-ray burner
- one additional front panel with card reader and additional connections
- 2-3 SSDs
- 2-3 HDDs, maybe running two of them in RAID1

And I also like to have some headroom for future expansion (like adding another titan, but I think I won't need more than two of them)

As for the cooling, I could go with either air, or some AIO water cooling like the H80i. But I think I won't dare to build a custom loop simply due to lack of experience. And I would also change stock fans if that gives me an advantage, so please do not count the stock solution if a better aftermarket solution would improve the situation noticeably.

So yeah, what would be a good case, one that holds all this stuff, is cool and silent at the same time? All with respect to the optimal cooling solution you can get with each of these cases. Price it is not _that_ important, but has to be still somewhat sane especially in regard what you get for it.

Did a lot of research already, and these would be my candidates right now:

1) Silverstone FT02
2) Fractal Design Define XL R2
3) Nanoxia Deep Silence 2
4) or ????

Another thing to mention is that I would prefer a case that is not too huge, but I am also wary of resulting heat problems if the case is too small. So for example I also really like the Fractal Design R4, but I fear that with all these components this could lead to space/heat problems. Plus, I really like a clean, minimalistic design, so also a door would be a minor plus (and if only just for the sake of a more clean look).

What would you think? Any insights appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Frank

Thanks for the additional hints!

So I looked at both Corsair cases, and while the Air looks really nice, it has a somewhat unusual footprint, which wouldn't fit too well neither under nor above my desk. And the 750D reviews are not too favorable in terms of cooling vs noise, so that the other three options seem to be more appropriate to me.

As for the ST02: yeah many people here seem to own and also to like this case, so this is actually my favorite choice (but by a rather small margin) right now. Just wondered if there are also people who have experience with the other two. I think that all three cases would be OK, but I want to have the "perfect" choice ;)

The only drawbacks I see with the ST02 are that it has only 5 3,5" bays, seems a bit awkward to open the chassis for maintenance (have to take away the top grille first) and that it has no door - but well, the latter is only a minor cosmetic issue, since this machine will be built for work, not so much for showing off. But well, as a designer I won't mind if the front won't look that "busy". So yes, this also means no window ;)

One additional question about the ST02: I am under the impression that a good tower cooler would be better than an AIO water cooling solution (like the h80i) since this tower really seems to be built for air cooling?

Based on your hardware, it looks like you're making a single all-in-one box to be used for gaming and Hyper-V or Virtualbox.

I don't know if the boards you listed will fit in the Define R4.

On the FT02 in the review above, you can see where the motherboard they're using (M4A78T-E) leaves another row of stand offs beneath it, where your board would take those up I imagine. The FT02 is very deep and high priced compared to the others. The biggest problem with it is your lack of room to grow. You're talking 2-3 HDDs, 2-3 SSDs. You'd be maxing it out on day 1 with six drives, and that's including the extra SSD mounting spot.

I would scratch the DS2 for the DS1, especially if you're considering cases in the price range of the FT02.

Anandtech liked the Nanoxia DS1 when they reviewed it, and praise the materials and build quality, noting a higher build quality than BitFenix or Fractal. It does have that nice dual-channel fan controller out of the box also.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6479/nanoxia-deep-silence-1-case-review-you-asked-for-it-you-got-it

but the Fractal XL R2 doesn't do bad either, trading blows with the DS1.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6764/fractal-design-define-xl-r2-case-review-maybe-we-can-have-it-all

I find it interesting that they panned the FT02, considering SPCR's review.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4620/silverstone-fortress-ft02-true-classics-never-go-out-of-style

and SPCR panned the DS1, even noting the paint is easily messed up.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1327-page1.html

It's hard to gauge the quality of the materials in these cases without seeing them first hand. For example, the old Antec P182 is built like a rock, but doesn't cool quite as well as some of these newer designs.

You could look at Corsair 540 Air or 750D :)

The 540 is the antithesis of a quiet case. The 750D is a better balance, but Corsair's quiet case is the 550D.

Based on your hardware, it looks like you're making a single all-in-one box to be used for gaming and Hyper-V or Virtualbox.

Actually, this will be an "all purpose workstation". I am a freelance designer and software developer, also doing some video animation / editing / conversion and also some 3D stuff (blender) on occasion. Also need a _lot_ of VMs (and stuff like iOS simulator etc) especially during my development test cycles. So therefore (and for AE) I need quite some RAM (and also some cores). So I will rely on this machine for earning my money - gaming is not soo much important, I actually _do_ some gaming after work, but the main purpose is really a workstation. And I think this machine would also be quite capable of gaming, right? But I don't really need things like SLI etc.

Ah, and one more point: since this machine will replace my current Mac Pro, this will also be a "Hackintosh" (with windows dual boot)

I don't know if the boards you listed will fit in the Define R4.

Actually, I made some "simulation" via some PS comps to see what it will look like, and while the boards should fit, things will get really tight in that particular case. Of course if you are interested, I can post these pictures, so you can see for yourself. All other cases from above have quite a bit more room.

The biggest problem with it is your lack of room to grow. You're talking 2-3 HDDs, 2-3 SSDs. You'd be maxing it out on day 1 with six drives, and that's including the extra SSD mounting spot.

Exactly, that is one of the disadvantages. But I might get away with it, maybe by "misusing" one of the 5 1/4 bays in addition if I really need it. Also, I do not plan to add many additional drives. I think the most likely future extension would be just adding a second Titan, in case I really need more GPGPU power.

I would scratch the DS2 for the DS1, especially if you're considering cases in the price range of the FT02.

I know that the DS-1 is a bit better, but ... well I don't like that "chimney" look, just a matter of taste I think ;) Also the DS2 still seems quite good.

Yeah, I know this review - that's one of the reasons I included the XL R2 in my favorite list.

Actually, this will be an "all purpose workstation". I am a freelance designer and software developer, also doing some video animation / editing / conversion and also some 3D stuff (blender) on occasion. Also need a _lot_ of VMs (and stuff like iOS simulator etc) especially during my development test cycles. So therefore (and for AE) I need quite some RAM (and also some cores). So I will rely on this machine for earning my money - gaming is not soo much important, I actually _do_ some gaming after work, but the main purpose is really a workstation. And I think this machine would also be quite capable of gaming, right? But I don't really need things like SLI etc.

Ah, and one more point: since this machine will replace my current Mac Pro, this will also be a "Hackintosh" (with windows dual boot)

Yep, this machine would be a beast for gaming or GPGPU as it doesn't get much better than Titans.

Actually, I made some "simulation" via some PS comps to see what it will look like, and while the boards should fit, things will get really tight in that particular case. Of course if you are interested, I can post these pictures, so you can see for yourself. All other cases from above have quite a bit more room.

No worries I believe you. After all I was just eyeballing it.

Exactly, that is one of the disadvantages. But I might get away with it, maybe by "misusing" one of the 5 1/4 bays in addition if I really need it. Also, I do not plan to add many additional drives. I think the most likely future extension would be just adding a second Titan, in case I really need more GPGPU power.

Ahhhh okay. I was going to suggest one of these or these and conceding on your memory card reader, but if you're not worried about drive expansion then no worries.

I would trust the FT02 with multiple titans for sure.

I know that the DS-1 is a bit better, but ... well I don't like that "chimney" look, just a matter of taste I think ;) Also the DS2 still seems quite good.

Gotcha. I agree, the chimney doesn't look as good as just a plain mesh panel like the other cases you're comparing here. Overall, I like the plain fridge look of Antec P18x or Fractal the most.

Anyway, since you've already seen some/all of those reviews, I believe you've chosen the top 3 and it comes down more to aesthetics/price.

Yep, this machine would be a beast for gaming or GPGPU as it doesn't get much better than Titans.

Exactly the reason I choose a Titan: essentially a workstation card, with much better FP capabilities than a 780, much more VRAM, but still cheaper than a Tesla card. And yes: more than suitable for my gaming needs. So a second one would _only_ be needed for additional GPGPU.

In blender - depending on the scene - the Titan is up to twice as fast as a 780. Also since I use AE and PR, I have a rather CUDA centric setup. Therefore the Titan seems to be really perfect for me.

No worries I believe you. After all I was just eyeballing it.

Yeah, looking to attach the pix anyway, just to make sure I am right with my assertions. Any way of attaching an image without hosting it somewhere? Didn't see that in the edit form.

Anyway, since you've already seen some/all of those reviews, I believe you've chosen the top 3 and it comes down more to aesthetics/price.

Yeah, I think I read most of the reviews. My little "problem" is now to choose the best solution out of these, also with enough headroom for a 2nd GPU ;)

Actually the P280 was also on my list, but I did sratch it bc of slightly inferior performance compared to the other three - at least guessing from various tests / reviews.

Yeah, looking to attach the pix anyway, just to make sure I am right with my assertions. Any way of attaching an image without hosting it somewhere? Didn't see that in the edit form.

Nope, I usually just default to imgur or something.

Yeah, I think I read most of the reviews. My little "problem" is now to choose the best solution out of these, also with enough headroom for a 2nd GPU ;)

Actually the P280 was also on my list, but I did sratch it bc of slightly inferior performance compared to the other three - at least guessing from various tests / reviews.

I think any of them have enough headroom for a second GPU. You're picking boards with room to space them out easily, and two GPUs is a lot easier to deal with than three. With three, the issue becomes the middle GPU being part of a hot-as-sun sandwich.

The P280 is surely a high quality case material and build wise. The non-removable drive bays, the lack of side/bottom fans, and the stock fan layout hurt it though. For example, Anand's review notes CPU cooling is inferior to other cases. This doesn't surprise me, because the best config for a larger CPU cooler is going to be to block off the rear top fan mount and have the front one as an intake. A case with both blocked off could certainly do better than having them both set to exhaust.

In comparison to the Fractal XL R2 though, the top fans come with a cover on them, and you have the options of bottom and side fans which you can configure appropriately depending on the type of coolers on your GPUs.

Nope, I usually just default to imgur or something.

Good idea!

So, this is what it roughly would look like with the R4:

BtZxLsD.jpg

Now, add all the other stuff, and I think it might get a bit tight in there?

Now, the XL R2:

u5gUMno.jpg

That is way more roomy, maybe even more than I need. A massive case, indeed ...

Here is the Nanoxia: (without PSU)

KZGzLpw.jpg

Should be OK, in terms of size?

And of course, the FT02:

KBYEivA.jpg

Also looks good to me.

Since price and looks wouldn't be a great issue it will all come down to the cooling / silence ratio. Maybe the FT02 gets a minus for not having a door, but on the other hand I really like the layout ;)

I would guess that in terms of cooling: FT02 > XLR2 > Nanoxia
while in terms of noise: Nanoxia > XLR2 > FT02

Am I right with that? If yes - hmm, tough choice.

Edit: ah and I also like to have a temperature controlled cooling solution in the case, and if possible, each fan should be controlled independently. But I don't know if these cases would make a difference with that issue, so that might be another question.

Last edited:
I really like my switch 810. enough room to do most anything and plenty of space for a lot of fans, thus, a lot of low rpms would probably be super quiet. It's a little big for my tastes, but I recommend it. It's not the best tower, but it's a good value.

Think some designs of NZXT are a bit ... let's say "overstyled" but this one looks quite nice. On the other hand, also quite big (like the XL R2) but maybe not as quiet, even with good fans. Also, has a window ...

Once someone mentions FT02, I say buy it....

Yeah surely a nice case. It has this kind of subdued, clean & classy look, but is still unusual and original at the same time. Also I really like the layout, think this should cool very well. Still a bit wary of it's noise, dunno how silent it really is. And, at least with my plan to control all fans at the BIOS level, these huge (non PWM) 180mm fans could give me some problems I fear.

But for that kind of hardware, Caselabs is your only option. The SM8 would be perfect for you.

Well, I don't know (and didn't find) much about this case. Seems also rather huge and does even not seem to have any dust filters, which seems a bit strange given the rather high price. But of course seems sturdy and well built. But, what would be the definite advantage this case would give me, compared to the other three?

Caselabs cases aren't built for noise reduction and their cases are primarily designed for high-end custom watercooling. They are amazingly built and have craftsmanship second to none though.

The fans are a valid concern for you, because you have to give up your PWM controlled plan. Noise wouldn't worry me with these fans because they're on the bottom of the case. An equivalent side or front fan will likely be noisier. A P280 is noisier than the FT02 according to SPCR.

Participating in your thread has increased my interest in the FT02 significantly, and I am an Antec/Fractal lover.

The fans are a valid concern for you, because you have to give up your PWM controlled plan.

Ahhh too bad. And it also seems that the R4E can only control PWM fans. So I might need just another device *sigh*

So, are there any (temp controlled) fan controllers you guys could recommend?

Participating in your thread has increased my interest in the FT02 significantly, and I am an Antec/Fractal lover.

You're welcome ;)

I love my FT-02, although it seems to get bigger over time. The footprint is quite large, like really big.

Overall it has been great and I am happy with the amount of noise I hear from the case. Is it 100% silent? No. Is it quieter than anything I have owned or seen in person (air cooled only for this comparison)? Yes. For reference, I have one of the first versions with first gen fans (AP-180 I believe, also USB 2.0). I usually just leave the case fans on high as the noise difference is minimal IMHO.

Cable management is okay, not great, but okay. If there was an extra 1/4" on the backside of the mobo tray it would be perfect. As it is, it can be a bit of a squeeze, but you can make it work.

Would I buy again? Maybe. I think there is plenty of room for future expansion, but sometimes I think it would be nice to have something with a smaller footprint. Given my investment, I figure I will rock this for a few more years at least and see what is out there. Despite its size, it is a great looking case, understated, but great looking.

Dig around the mega FT-02 thread on here, lots of opinions and insight, but pretty favorable all in all.

The Fractal Define series have great noise dampening features as well as cooling and come with air filters to keep out dust.

Yeah, nice case without question, but I fear that this is simply too small. Just look at the first picture I posted above. Quite tight!

So if I would go the Fractal route, I'd take it's bigger brother, the XL R2. Actually, a size in between the two would be perfect I think.

Yeah, the accessoiries selection with the FT02 is also quite good, so this is actually the case I have now settled on ... if it weren't for the last remaining issue, and that is the question if the Noctua NH-U14S will fit.

Wasn't aware of the FP58 though, a slot loading drive would be at least deliver improved aesthetics ;)

Back