Looking for Comments on Dell XPS 8700

pappo46

n00b
I know this site is primarily dedicated to building your own computer, but I wondered if anyone had experience with Dell's XPS 8700 and would comment on the pro's / cons.

I have a grandson who doesn't like homebrew computers and was asking me what I know about the Dell XPS 8700.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Whether or not the XPS 8700 is a "good buy" depends on your grandson's needs and how much you spend for one. For example, I would have fewer concerns buying the $670 NewEgg model over the $800 TigerDirect model, but neither one is suitable for any serious gaming and both are overkill for simple web browsing and web-based video (like YouTube).

What is this system for?
What resolution is the monitor?
Does your grandson plan on performing any upgrades during the life of this system?
How much does he have to spend on this?

Whether or not the XPS 8700 is a "good buy" depends on your grandson's needs and how much you spend for one. For example, I would have fewer concerns buying the $670 NewEgg model over the $800 TigerDirect model, but neither one is suitable for any serious gaming and both are overkill for simple web browsing and web-based video (like YouTube).

What is this system for?
What resolution is the monitor?
Does your grandson plan on performing any upgrades during the life of this system?
How much does he have to spend on this?

What is this system for? Some gaming. Mostly Dungeons & Dragons Online is his favorite. He is not a "High End Crysis" player.

What resolution is the monitor? 1920x1080

Does your grandson plan on performing any upgrades during the life of this system? He may want to upgrade video card and RAM.

How much does he have to spend on this? About $1000.00 max.

What is this system for? Some gaming. Mostly Dungeons & Dragons Online is his favorite. He is not a "High End Crysis" player.

What resolution is the monitor? 1920x1080

Does your grandson plan on performing any upgrades during the life of this system? He may want to upgrade video card and RAM.

How much does he have to spend on this? About $1000.00 max.

Buy the first linked system then. The video card in the $800 model would cost you barely $80 (with MIR right now), so paying $130 extra is a ripoff (You do get a better processor, but he would never notice the difference). You can get a much better video card with the $130 difference, especially if you aim more towards the $150-$200 region.

The HD 7570 is a rebadged HD 6570, and is barely 2-3x faster than integrated graphics, but it should be enough for low gaming at 1080p. He might actually be satisfied with that, but if not he can use the money he "saved" to buy a much better video card.

Your video upgrade options are almost unlimited, since this has a 460w PSU, and you're not overclocking anything.

THAT SAID, it is not hard for us to build you a more capable system for less. See here where we build a more capable system for less than $640:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040123540&postcount=4

If you built a system with similar video capability through Dell, it would cost you OVER $1000! And if you buy the Newegg model and upgraded the video card yourself, it will still come out costing you over $800.

Once you go beyond entry-level, you can easily beat the price of OEM (especially if you already have a copy of Windows). You even get to pick your case, just in case you think the Dell looks boring. But you do have to handle your own tech support.

Last edited:
I have decided to build a system and not go the Dell route. I liked many of your comments on giving myself upgrade options in RAM and Video card.
So I have a tower case now, and just bought a 850W power supply.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7621664&CatId=2534

So now I need Motherboard, RAM, VIdeo card. Here are some thoughts I had.

1. I would like to go with a mobo for the future so I was wondering if going the Z87 type was the way to go. I could start with an i5 and when i7 prices drop I could upgrade. What do you think of this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157384

2. I was also thinking of going GTX 660 2GB. Will the power supply I bought handle all of this ?

3. I have a 500GB disk now but should I consider going the SSD + Data drive route.

Any build ideas would be greatly appreciated.

One more question. When my current system was hit by lightning, I had saved a system image before the lightning. When I put together my new mobo/ram/video system, can I just put the image onto a new SSD, or do I have to do a "fresh" install of Windows 7 Ultimate on the SSD ?

Last edited:
I have decided to build a system and not go the Dell route. I liked many of your comments on giving myself upgrade options in RAM and Video card.
So I have a tower case now, and just bought a 850W power supply.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7621664&CatId=2534?
Cancel the order immediately: That PSU is not good at all. IN fact, any Dell PSU would be better than that HEC PSU.

Also, what case did you buy? In addition please answer the following questions so that we can help you better:
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

To somewhat answer your questions:
1) Can't answer until you answer my question 2
2) Nope. That HEC is crap. In addition, the GTX 660 2GB may not be a good buy depending on your answer to my question 3 and 7.
3) Possible.

Your last question: Depends on whether or not you're planning on giving your grandson your OS key and you're planning on buying another key. It sounds like you're trying to give your grandson the same Windows 7 key as your own.

Last edited:
Cancel the order immediately: That PSU is not good at all. IN fact, any Dell PSU would be better than that HEC PSU.
What is wrong with the HEC? How do I return it to TigerDirect if it is not damaged or malfunctioning ?
Also, what case did you buy? In addition please answer the following questions so that we can help you better: I did not buy a case. I am reusing an old ATX case I used with a Abit AW9D-MAX motherboard
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? I have an additional $800 available now. That will have to include shipping.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible. Lynchburg, Virginia USA. Why is this important?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need. Motherboard, RAM - 8GB for now, and Video card.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.Reusing my case - Tower - 7 drive bays - don't know the model or manufacturer, ANTEC BP 550 Plus power supply, 500GB sata drive
6) Will you be overclocking? No overclocking
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?I have a 21 inch monitor I plan to use
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? I am starting now
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc. Nothing specific, but No RAID or Firewire needed, Crossfire / SLI would be Ok, USB 3.0 and SATA OK, UEFI not needed
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit? I have my original Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit CD with legit key/license

To somewhat answer your questions:
1) Can't answer until you answer my question 2
2) Nope. That HEC is crap. In addition, the GTX 660 2GB may not be a good buy depending on your answer to my question 3 and 7. Why is a 660 not a good buy ?
3) Possible.

Your last question: Depends on whether or not you're planning on giving your grandson your OS key and you're planning on buying another key. It sounds like you're trying to give your grandson the same Windows 7 key as your own. NO. I decided to build and use this computer myself, and give my grandson a laptop I had.

Last edited:
What is wrong with the HEC? How do I return it to TigerDirect if it is not damaged or malfunctioning ?
First of all, it's a HEC. HEC's good PSUs fall under their Cougar brand. The rest of their non-Cougar branded HEC PSUs are generally crap.

Second, it's a 850W PSU for $70. That's a red flag considering that most good quality 550W PSUs cost around $70 to $80. Most good quality 850W PSUs costs around $130+.

Third, there's not one proper PSU review of that HEC PSU or even a PSU based on the same platform as that HEC. As such, there's nothing showing that it can actually provide its rated power without harming the PC.

Fourth, not a single mention of what temperature it was rated at. The higher the temperature, the less power a PSU can output. Since many PSU manufacturers have a habit of rating PSUs at 25C when the average internal temps inside a PC is like 40C to 50C, knowing what temperature the PSU is rated at determines whether or not it can actually provide its rated power at normal operating temperatures.

As for returning it, as long as it has not been 30 days since you got that HEC, you can still return it as per TD's return policies:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/help/return.asp

I did not buy a case. I am reusing an old ATX case

Reusing my case - Tower - 7 drive bays - don't know the model or manufacturer,
If it still uses nothing but 80mm fans, time to replace it as even a $43 case would probably outperform it in cooling while providing significantly easier cable management. In fact, just get a new case altogether since I'm willing to be this $43 case will be better:
$43 - NZXT Source 210 Elite White with Black Front Trim ATX Case

Though if you want to make absolute sure that you can't reuse your old case with a new PC, please find or take and upload pictures of your case from the side, front, and the insides of the case itself.

Lynchburg, Virginia USA. Why is this important?
Two reasons:
1) We have a lot of non-Americans who come in asking for help on their PC builds. So it helps to know where they're from since different countries have vastly different pricing and availablity of computer parts than the U.S does

2) If you are located in the U.S, that question also allows us to figure out if there's a Microcenter location nearby and what sales tax we may need to factor in. Knowing whether or not a Microcenter is close by is important because that store does have great CPU + motherboard deals that end up saving the user quite a bit of money. With that said, if a Microcenter is more than 30 to 40minute drive away, may not be worth the costs in gas, time and sales to buy from there. In this case, unfortunately you're a 7 hour round trip from the nearest Microcenter so not worth the drive.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need. Motherboard, RAM - 8GB for now, and Video card.
So you're planning on building this PC over time? How long will it take you to save up money for the CPU, SSD, PSU, and case?

Why is a 660 not a good buy ?
The 660 would not be a good buy if you have a monitor with a really high resolution. Not to mention, it definitely won't be a good buy if you insist on using it with either the HEC 850W or the Antec BP550 PSU since the GTX 660 is a bit too powerful for those PSUs.

Just to be clear, you are planning on playing games on this PC right? If so, what games? And if you are gaming, please clarify this:
I have a 21 inch monitor I plan to use
What's the max resolution on your monitor?

If you're not gaming or if you plan on doing other things with this PC besides gaming, what are you using this PC for?
Your last question: Depends on whether or not you're planning on giving your grandson your OS key and you're planning on buying another key. It sounds like you're trying to give your grandson the same Windows 7 key as your own. NO. I decided to build and use this computer myself, and give my grandson a laptop I had.
Ahh gotcha. Well to answer your question: AFAIK, Windows 7 is smart enough to recognize that it's being re-imaged onto a SSD. With that said, sometimes it glitches and doesn't recognize that it's on a SSD. Up to you want to take that chance.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

IM IN AGREEMENT WITH pappo46 HERE: Danny, JUSTIFY YOURSELF!

While HEC is not the PINNACLE of PSU brands, they are hardly the cheapest out there. They have also improved in recent years. See here (for example), where their Cougar brand unit passes almost with flying colors:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=178

And more recently an HEC Cougar unit passed the HardOCP tests:
http://hardocp.com/article/2011/09/21/cougar_gx_series_900w_power_supply_review/9#.Ug8Ank3FamU

And see here where Jonnyguru forum members have gradually begun to admit that HEC doesn't sell complete crap anymore:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10614

AND HERE IS A THREAD ON THIS VERY PSU WHERE NOBODY CAN PROVIDE SOLID EVIDENCE THAT IT'S JUNK:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10771

IM IN AGREEMENT WITH pappo46 HERE: Danny, JUSTIFY YOURSELF!

While HEC is not the PINNACLE of PSU brands, they are hardly the cheapest out there. They have also improved in recent years. See here (for example), where their Cougar brand unit passes almost with flying colors:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=178

And more recently an HEC Cougar unit passed the HardOCP tests:
http://hardocp.com/article/2011/09/21/cougar_gx_series_900w_power_supply_review/9#.Ug8Ank3FamU
Read what I just posted 7 minutes before your post: HEC's good PSUs fall under their Cougar brand. The rest of their non-Cougar branded HEC PSUs are generally crap.

I did not say their Cougar PSUs, which is all that you have linked, were bad. The PSU that TD is selling is not labeled as a Cougar PSU nor was it mentioned that it was based on a Cougar PSU. Therefore I choose to err on the side of caution considering HEC's past.

And see here where Jonnyguru forum members have gradually begun to admit that HEC doesn't sell complete crap anymore:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10614
As for the JG posts, the first link is unfortunately not every helpful since no one actually linked or showed that particular HEC PSU being properly tested. 80Plus testing is basically worthless as HardOCP has shown.
AND HERE IS A THREAD ON THIS VERY PSU WHERE NOBODY CAN PROVIDE SOLID EVIDENCE THAT IT'S JUNK:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10771
No one actually showed solid evidence that it wasn't junk either.

2) If you are located in the U.S, that question also allows us to figure out if there's a Microcenter location nearby and what sales tax we may need to factor in.
My closest Microcenter is in Fairfax,VA which is a 3 hour drive from me.

So you're planning on building this PC over time? How long will it take you to save up money for the CPU, SSD, PSU, and case?I should have all my funds by end of September

The 660 would not be a good buy if you have a monitor with a really high resolution. Not to mention, it definitely won't be a good buy if you insist on using it with either the HEC 850W or the Antec BP550 PSU since the GTX 660 is a bit too powerful for those PSUs.

What wattage PSU would I need to run a mobo/8GB Ram and a GTX 660 ? Not SLI now but enough PSU in case I want to do SLI later

Just to be clear, you are planning on playing games on this PC right? If so, what games? And if you are gaming, please clarify this: I play Dungeons & Dragons Online only

What's the max resolution on your monitor? My monitor is a Dell FP2001 Max. Resolution: 1600 x 1200 at 60 Hz

If you're not gaming or if you plan on doing other things with this PC besides gaming, what are you using this PC for? General home PC and DDO gaming only

Last edited:
So you're planning on building this PC over time? How long will it take you to save up money for the CPU, SSD, PSU, and case?I should have all my funds by end of September
We generally don't recommend building a PC by buying parts over time as a part may arrive DOA and you may not be able to test or return that part within the allotted return period since you're waiting for an actual PC to test those parts in. In some cases, it also leads to people buying parts that aren't good at all since they saw that the part was on sale but it turns out that part was crap or unproven. Not to mention, the parts are just sitting there doing nothing and taking up space. So why buy those parts well ahead of the PC's actual build time.

As such, I recommend just saving up your money and then buying everything in one go. That way you can test all of the parts at the same time, your build will be up-to-date, and you may end up saving money as some parts generally go down in price over time (especially GPUs).

The only time we recommend buying parts over time is if A) you know what makes a part a good part with 90%+ certainty and B) you're only buying those parts when there are great deals on those parts. As evident by your purchase of a HEC PSU, this buying parts over time course may not be the best route for you.

What PSU would I need to run a mobo/8GB Ram and a GTX 660 ?
This if it's still a good deal in September:
$80 - Seasonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W Modular PSU

I play Dungeons & Dragons Online only

My monitor is a Dell FP2001 Max. Resolution: 1600 x 1200 at 60 Hz
D&D Online doesn't look like a real GPU heavy game. So you'll be fine with the GTX 660. Although you could drop down to the $160 HD 7850 2GB and still be fine.

Danny - Thanks to you and all the people who have provided feedback to my questions on this PC build.

I will return the HEC supply and wait until I have all the funds and order a complete system at one time.

I saw your link to the $640 PC build http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040123540&postcount=4 and that looks like a solid build for my DDO gaming and general home PC activities.

How does the Radeon HD 7850 2GB compare to the GTX 660 in performance ? On Amazon they said "System Requirements: Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply." but on the $640 build you are recommending a "Corsair 430CX V2 430W PSU" is that a mistake ?

I will wait until I have all my funds and then add to this thread to see if prices and parts, for the $640 build, have changed.

I saw your link to the $640 PC build http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040123540&postcount=4 and that looks like a solid build for my DDO gaming and general home PC activities.
Considering that you have a bigger budget than that guy does, I'd still recommend getting the Seasonic PSU I mentioned earlier in order to increase the chances of the PC lasting longer.
How does the Radeon HD 7850 2GB compare to the GTX 660 in performance ?
See for yourself:
http://anandtech.com/bench/product/783?vs=778
On Amazon they said "System Requirements: Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply." but on the $640 build you are recommending a "Corsair 430CX V2 430W PSU" is that a mistake ?
Not a mistake: Video card manufacturers assume that the user will be buying a crappy PSU. They fully understand that people won't take the time to actually research what makes a good PSU. As such, they greatly inflate the PSU requirements in order to increase the chances of that crappy PSU being capable of powering the system without harming the PC.

Since the CX430 is a good PSU and considering that the 500W figure is really really inflated, it's fair to recommend the CX430 in this case.

Considering that you have a bigger budget than that guy does, I'd still recommend getting the Seasonic PSU I mentioned earlier in order to increase the chances of the PC lasting longer.

See for yourself:
http://anandtech.com/bench/product/783?vs=778

What do you think about this power supply. I can get a refund from Tiger on the HEC I am returning and apply it to this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4278583&CatId=1483

Last edited:
I have no reluctance to using Tigerdirect. It's just that NewEgg currently has it on sale.

What do you think about this power supply. I can get a refund from Tiger on the HEC I am returning and apply it to this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4278583&CatId=1483

As Tiraides said, Newegg has that same PSU for a better price once you enter the promo code and factor in the fact that the Corsair CX600 comes with free shipping from Newegg. However, again, as Tiraides said, if you can't get the CX600 for $60 shipped, get the Seasonic I mentioned earlier. The Seasonic is of higher quality than the Corsair.

With that said, I actually do have a reluctance to recommend anything from TD since they have a stupid fuckin' habit of listing everything by their after rebate price rather than the price you're paying up front.

With that said, I actually do have a reluctance to recommend anything from TD since they have a stupid fuckin' habit of listing everything by their after rebate price rather than the price you're paying up front.

I went to UPS today and returned the HEC PSU.
I am going to wait until I have all my money $700, and come back to you guys for a recommended system build at whatever are the best prices in about 1 month.

I will stay away from Tiger.

Thanks for all the help and links to some very good information.

Do you all recommend AMD over Intel for gaming PC's, even the low budget system builds like I plan to create ? I see many recommendations for the i5 for gaming.

Do you all recommend AMD over Intel for gaming PC's, even the low budget system builds like I plan to create ? I see many recommendations for the i5 for gaming.

Only if there's like a really fantastic deal on the AMD CPUs. Otherwise, we try to fit in an Intel CPU if the primary purpose of the PC is gaming. We'll even recommend Core i3s and some Pentiums.

Only if there's like a really fantastic deal on the AMD CPUs. Otherwise, we try to fit in an Intel CPU if the primary purpose of the PC is gaming. We'll even recommend Core i3s and some Pentiums.

ok good to know. I want to go with an i5 system.

I have two 500GB drives to use as data drives in my new build. what do you recommend for a SSD for my OS ( win 7 ultimate) ?

ok good to know. I want to go with an i5 system.

I have two 500GB drives to use as data drives in my new build. what do you recommend for a SSD for my OS ( win 7 ultimate) ?

Samsung 840 250GB if you can afford it. Otherwise,the Samsung 840 120GB will be fine.

Hello Danny

Previously you had asked about what case I had left that I could possible use towards my new build to replace the lightning damaged PC.
Here is a summary of remaining parts of the damaged PC. Do you see anything I can bring forward to my planned i5 build ?

MOTHERBOARD: ABIT AW9D-MAX (NOT WORKING)

CPU: CORE 2 DUO, 6700 SL9S7 MALAY, 2.66GHZ/4M/1 066/06, L627B078 (UNKNOWN STATUS)

CPU COOLER: Zalman ZF9225ATH (WORKING)

500GB HARD DRIVE: WD5000AADS (WORKING)

DVD/CD RW DRIVE: DRW-24B1ST (WORKING)

RAM: 4 X 1GB : OCZ OCZ2P800R22GK - PC2 6400 1GB DUAL CH. PLATINUM REV. 2 4-4-4-15 (UNKOWN STATUS)

GPU: GF9800GT 512MB DDR3 256B VGA/DVI/HDMI OUTPUTS (WORKING)

PSU: ANTEC BP550 PLUS (WORKING)

CASE: UNKNOWN BRAND: INTERNAL MARKS SHOW STANDOFFS FOR FULL AT, ATX, AND MICRO ATX MOTHERBOARDS, TOOL LESS SIDE PANELS, REMOVABLE DISK CAGE (4 DRIVES), 4 FANS, FRONT PANEL (TWO USB 2.0, ONE eSATA, AUDTO OUT, RESET AND POWER BUTTONS.

I have pics of the case but don't know how to upload them to forum posts.

You can safely reuse your hard drive and DVD burner with your new build. That said, I I recommend reusing only your optical drive.

The Antec BP550 Plus PSU is actually pretty bad quality-wise for long-term use.

Your hard drive is too slow for everyday use. It's better served as a backup drive.

As for the CPU cooler, did it come with a Socket 1156/1155 bracket? If so, you could reuse it.

Since you don't know what case you have, do you know what type(s) of fans it supports?

You can safely reuse your hard drive and DVD burner with your new build. That said, I I recommend reusing only your optical drive.

The Antec BP550 Plus PSU is actually pretty bad quality-wise for long-term use. Ok. I will buy the Seasonic PSU that you and Danny recommended earlier in this thread.

Your hard drive is too slow for everyday use. It's better served as a backup drive. Ok. I planned to get a Samsung 840 256GB SSD so I will use the 500GB drive for data.

As for the CPU cooler, did it come with a Socket 1156/1155 bracket? If so, you could reuse it. I don't know what that Socket bracket looks like. I looked on the Zalman website but they don't seem to sell the brackets separately. I couldn't find my cooler (Zalman ZF9225ATH ) on their site ?

Since you don't know what case you have, do you know what type(s) of fans it supports?
The 3 internal fans are Rosewill D12SM-12(GP) 1650 +/- 10% RPM fans. I am guessing that the case is a Rosewill too.

Comments in RED above.

How do I upload pictures to the forum ? I have a bracket that is adjustable and it might be the right one.

Last edited:
Your hard drive is too slow for everyday use. It's better served as a backup drive.
Ok. I planned to get a Samsung 840 256GB SSD so I will use the 500GB drive for data.

The 5900RPM(?) spindle speed of your hard drive makes it a bad choice for a "performance" HDD. I recommend spending money (if you can) on one of the new WD Blue or Seagate HDDs with the 1TB drive platters.

If you can only afford either the SSD or the HDD, I recommend going with the HDD. Then again, I'm personally more of a storage nut than a performance fiend.

As for the CPU cooler, did it come with a Socket 1156/1155 bracket? If so, you could reuse it.
I don't know what that Socket bracket looks like. I looked on the Zalman website but they don't seem to sell the brackets separately. I couldn't find my cooler (Zalman ZF9225ATH ) on their site ?

Don't worry about the CPU cooler. The stock Intel HSF is more than enough for your needs.

The 3 internal fans are Rosewill D12SM-12(GP) 1650 +/- 10% RPM fans. I am guessing that the case is a Rosewill too.

Post the pictures of the case, including its interior. We need to see it before we can confirm whether or not it's suitable for reuse.

How do I upload pictures to the forum ? I have a bracket that is adjustable and it might be the right one.

You first need to upload your pictures onto a third-party image hosting site like Photobucket. You then post the pictures using the "Insert Image" button in the message editor. (Use the permalink you receive from the hosting site for each image you wish to post.)

Ok, here goes. I got a Photobucket account.
Here is the link to my case photo's. I hope it works for you. Let me know if you cannot access them.
http://s747.photobucket.com/user/pappo46/slideshow/

Now I will try to insert image:
slideshow

Another question, since my current case supports Micro-ATX mobo's as well.

What are the advantages / disadvantages of using an ATX versus Micro-ATX motherboards ?

Ok, here goes. I got a Photobucket account.
Here is the link to my case photo's. I hope it works for you. Let me know if you cannot access them.
http://s747.photobucket.com/user/pappo46/slideshow/

So everyone's on the same page:
PC-CASE6_zps7eb07566.jpg
PC-CASE5_zpsa3c6c088.jpg
PC-CASE2_zps2a37f1c5.jpg
PC-CASE1_zpse8e8174f.jpg

The cases appears to be based off the Antec Three Hundred design. You can reuse the case, but the video card may be a tight fit depending on what you choose. If you go the SSD route, you'll also need some sort of adapter.

(If you do reuse the case, I recommend a good cleaning of the interior, especially the front and including the fans. You should also consider buying a set of replacement expansion slot covers for the back of the case.)

You can also reuse the optical drive and the hard drive. Keep in mind, though, that I am against you reusing the HDD as your only drive; it needs to be paired with a faster SSD or HDD.

Another question, since my current case supports Micro-ATX mobo's as well.

What are the advantages / disadvantages of using an ATX versus Micro-ATX motherboards ?

The main advantage of a micro ATX motherboard is its price. If you don't need a lot of features, you can often find a cheaper micro ATX board than a "standard" ATX board.

But we don't recommend micro ATX to those who plan on using two video cards (for either SLI or CrossFire) as there may not be enough space for air to flow between the cards. Heavy CPU overclockers should also stick with ATX boards since they're often better designed to handle the heat output from overclocking.

Changing subjects, are we still looking at the end of September as when you'll have enough money to buy everything at once?

Changing subjects, are we still looking at the end of September as when you'll have enough money to buy everything at once?

Thanks for the case advice. I have been blowing "dust bunnies" out of the case all day ;)

Yes, I am still shooting for end of Sept. for the purchase unless some unplanned home expense rises up or lightning revisits ....:(
I have $500 of my budgeted $700 in the bank now. Of course if I can use some of my parts, like the case, I will be able to put more into better parts like moving from the HD 7850 up to the Radeon HD 7870 2GB for example.

Thanks again for all of you guys expertise.

Last edited:
Revisit this thread a week or two before you're ready to purchase everything.

By then, we'll know what the good deals and specials are. We'll be able to come up with something good then.

By then, we'll know what the good deals and specials are. We'll be able to come up with something good then.

I will do that. Thanks again.

I am back with a few more questions. I have $600 saved and plan to be able to increase my budget to $800 by the end of September, which is when I plan to order the system you guys are helping me with.

Danny had previously recommended this system to another person:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=...40&postcount=4

My questions are:

1. Since I will be doing gaming, I read somewhere that two budget video cards in SLI or Crossfire can meet the performance of one of the newer video cards. For example, there was an article about two GTX780's matching performance with a single Titan. I don't plan to be anywhere near a two GTX780 system because those video cards alone would wipe out my budget. I just wanted to get your thoughts on that, and are there two cards that I would I be able to fit into an $800 budget system. I understand that two cards would increase the PSU requirements and add cost.

2. Would the NZXT Source 210 Elite case have room for a two card system ?

3. Would it be smart to initially install a single 8GB memory stick so as to be able to later upgrade to 16GB ?

As always, thanks for all the info you guys have provided.

Your link doesn't work

1) We generally only recommend SLI/Crossfire setups for significantly higher budgets and resolutions. At your $800 price point and the fact that you don't have a very high resolution monitor (2560x1440+), no point in going SLI or Crossfire.

2) It does have the space for a SLI/Crossfire setup.

3) Yes.

Your link doesn't work

1) We generally only recommend SLI/Crossfire setups for significantly higher budgets and resolutions. At your $800 price point and the fact that you don't have a very high resolution monitor (2560x1440+), no point in going SLI or Crossfire.

2) It does have the space for a SLI/Crossfire setup.

3) Yes.

Danny - Thanks for the input. Here is the link again: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040123540&postcount=4
But also, here is the contents of the link:

I recommend this setup instead:
$180 - Intel Core i5-3350P CPU
$68 - MSI B75MA-P45 Intel B75 mATX Motherboard
$56 - Crucial CT102464BA1339 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$160 - PowerColor AX7850 2GBD5-DH Radeon HD 7850 2GB PCI-E Video Card
$68 - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$18 - Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$45 - Corsair 430CX V2 430W PSU
$43 - NZXT Source 210 Elite White with Black Front Trim ATX Case
----
$638 shipped plux tax. Should come out to around ~$700 with taxes

1. I will disregard SLI/Crossfire until I win the Lottery ... ;)

I will be back at the end of the month for your $800 budget gaming system recommendation.

Regards

Yes I did recommend that setup but since you have a larger budget, that means you can get far far better parts than what was listed there.

Ok, I am back. Next week's payday (Thursday - 26 Sept) I will have save $1000 for my new computer. I was able to budget an extra $200 from my original budget.
I am ready for you guys recommendations.
I will re-enter the sticky questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming (Dungeons & Dragons Online mostly) and Web browsing
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1000 with tax and shipping
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
USA, SW Virginia near Lynchburg
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, Mobo, RAM, OS Boot drive (SSD hopefully if budget allows), PSU, Graphic card (NVIDIA preferred).
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
500GB HARD DRIVE: WD5000AADS - Only as a data drive
DVD/CD RW DRIVE: DRW-24B1ST

6) Will you be overclocking?
No
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
DELL FP2001 - Native Resolution 1600 x 1200 at 60 Hz, however, after two more paydays I plan to come back and get your recommendations for a bigger/better monitor.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Start ordering Thursday Sept 26th 2013
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb, UEFI
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes - Windows 7 Ultimate

On your original build recommendation, you recommended NZXT Source 210 Elite White with Black Front Trim ATX Case. Would you also recommend any additional fans / cooling, for this case, that you think would be good for the build.you design?

Last edited:
Just how serious are you about the Crossfire/SLI plans? I ask because SLI/Crossfire really only make sense when you're gaming at a resolution of 2560x1440 and above. In addition, you would also have to get both cards within a few months of each other to be cost-effective. Plus it would require a larger PSU, a better case, and a higher-end, all of which means more money.

So are you really serious about Crossfire/SLI and therefore are willing to accept the higher costs?

Back