• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for cheap, cheap, cheap sli solution

PRogers86

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 30, 2012
Messages
157
I'm going to SLI some GTX 460's. I'm running an i3 2120, 2 HDD's, and an optical drive. I just want to spend the least amount of money to get SLI working. I don't care too much about cable management, lights, sleeving. Brand name isn't of huge importance to me. Is it possible to buy a PSU for around $60 that will do the job?
 
Ive been using Rosewill PSU's since they came out, never had a problem, I have about 5 of them.

I think my brother has the 500watt version of the Rosewill PSU you posted, the fan bearings went bad after about 4 years of use (because it he is a fat nasty slob who has food and crap inside his computer), so he stuck a pen between the fan blades so the fan would not spin anymore. He has been running like that in a rig with 2 overclocked 4870's for like a year now.

They are solid products.
 
Is it possible to buy a PSU for around $60 that will do the job?
Easily:
$64 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU
I just saw this thing on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182032

Would that work for two GTX 460's you think?
No. It lacks APFC (which denotes that it's an older model) and the 500W version of that PSU was found to be of very low quality.
Never buy an Apevia PSU: It's 100% guranteed to be a piece of shit:
Apevia ATX-AS500W-BL
Apevia Warlock Power 900W
XQPack's Included 420W PSU
Aspire Beast 680W Power Supply

The fact that this costs $50 should be the first warning sign. Also, older design, no review showing that it's actually capable of its rated power, and the low efficiency all points to a "No" on this PSU.

I should note that Rosewill and Kingwin have made/branded really good PSUs (Rosewill's Capstone series and Kingwin's Lazer Gold series). But like most PSU companies, not all of their PSUs are good and are sometimes just downright pieces of shit.
 
Back
Top