• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Looking for best GPU for setup

x3nzox

Weaksauce
Joined
May 12, 2014
Messages
79
I have an i5 4670k cpu
asus maximus hero z87 mobo
750 hx corsair psu
500gb 840 evo samsung ssd
Using a zalmon 10x optima cpu cooler
antec 3 hundred case

I am looking for the best gpu to compliment this
maybe around 200-300 range possibly spending more

Using computer for gaming
 
Last edited:
I'd look at a used 290. Probably the best bang for the buck right now.
 
Radeon 280 or 280x it's pretty similiar in performance though. A 290, you going to be lucky to get it even $400 used since the bitcoin miners love them. The 270 or 270x are good for $200 or under $200 and really a great card to play games on.
 
Radeon 280 or 280x it's pretty similiar in performance though. A 290, you going to be lucky to get it even $400 used since the bitcoin miners love them. The 270 or 270x are good for $200 or under $200 and really a great card to play games on.

Graphics card mining is down so you're info is outdated. You can get a 280x for right around $200 used and a 290 for $300 or so (I've seen $280 for a reference). A 290x is around $350. 7950's (rebranded as 280's) go for $150 shipped now.
 
I have almost the exact same setup and budget. I'm being torn between the 770 and 280x\290 cards. I wake up everyday looking for maxwell news so I can wait :)
 
Radeon 280 or 280x it's pretty similiar in performance though. A 290, you going to be lucky to get it even $400 used since the bitcoin miners love them. The 270 or 270x are good for $200 or under $200 and really a great card to play games on.

There are several people selling 290s right around $300 used on the forums here.
 
Yes, I would have to agree that 290 would probably be the best bang for your buck. I have two of them and they are awesome. Have a few issue with the drivers but those are likely specific to me as I am using the computer dual use mining/gaming. Here is a thread on getting 290s for $300-$330 from Amazon Warehouse, what I would recommend is get one that is serial # based and you will still get a fully warranty from the manufacture

Link to Thread
 
Ok thanks guys, finding a 290 it is!

It should last me at least 3-4 years right? until new tech comes out
 
hmm.... according to others, the 290 might not fit my antec 3 hundred case...
 
hmm.... according to others, the 290 might not fit my antec 3 hundred case...

What is the current gpu you are using? It isn't any longer than recent flagship offerings. I would be surprised if it didn't fit midsize cases.
 
i am in the middle of upgrading from old amd setup to new intel setup.

The gpu is a sapphire radeon hd 6850
 
Well according to Antec 300 specs I saw it should fit a max length gpu of 11 inches. I can measure my 290 when I get home but specs say it is just shorter than 11 inches (like 10.89 inches)
 
antec 3 hundred is kind of weird... my gpu barely fits in my case because it almost hits the hdd drives.. I like the design and all, just wish it was a lil bigger
 
Back
Top