Looking for a reliable UPS

Retne

Limp Gawd
Well I would like to gather some info and suggestions on good UPS selections from people.

First question is What is the difference between battery UPS setups and ones that don't use batteries(if there are any like that)?

Second question: (yep it's the obvious one) My budget is between $100-150 and I'm wondering what UPS you would pick up for that kinda cash.

I've seen a couple decent looking APC models but all I really need out of a UPS is enough time for my desktop to shutdown and also managment software that will shutdown when power goes out. Also I really only need 3 outlets supported on the battery, one for my comp and two for my monitors(system is in sig).

I had a high voltage problem at my house a few months ago, and have the following UPS:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE500U

It would constantly turn on and off, trying to stablize the voltage to my pc and actually ended up frying the motherboard. I have a geeksquad 1000VA:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat44000050043&id=1091101368556

on two other pc's in the home and it would refuse to turn on with those voltages I was getting (I had 134-140volts coming in from the power company) which is actually what they're designed to do. Just food for thought, the APC ive got is one of the low end models and it could have been a dud, but it definately didnt function the way it should have.

Liebert! You'll need to spend a lot or find one on Ebay for them, though.

There's no such thing as a UPS without a battery (unless it used a HUGE capacitor, which would be dangerous and not hold a charge long) - maybe you're thinking of a line conditioner?

APC, Liebert or Tripplite, anything else is a waste of money. Tripplites are usually lower priced than APC's, and are good units.

Stay far away from the APC power brick units. I have 2 of the 500VA ones (ordered both at once for pretty cheap) and they can't even run my clock correctly...

dandragonrage said:

GXT2 and fresh batteries
(the value of shipping used lead being somewhat questionable without grilling the seller)

tdg said:
APC, Liebert or Tripplite, anything else is a waste of money.

Id add Eaton \ Powerware to that list
ahead of everyone but Liebert

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Belkin UPS units 1000va enterprise units or higher

Been using Belkin Ups units for three years now with no problems

Scorpionjwp said:

I have been using the 1200VA network series for 2 years now. I only had one problem, it overheated and died. I got a new RMA unit from Belkin within 2 weeks. The unit itself works excellent!

Scorpionjwp said:

I have a Belkin 1100VA that i used on my previous desktop and now my notebook and it provides good uptime and i havn't had any problems with it outside of the extremely annoying beep when the power is cut and it switches to battery mode. I wish there was a way to turn that off.

Do all UPS emit that loud beep continously when the power is cut or only certain ones?

Back