• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for a read on computer in-depth info

vsboxerboy

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 17, 2005
Messages
3,661
Hey guys,

A friend of mine was asking me about computers and I didn't have all the answers and was looking for a good read to fill me in. Some of the questions that came up were along the lines of how it is that a computer sends a signal from one part of the computer to another. How does a CPU perform arithmetic and how is that used to control what's done with the computer. What is it exactly that happens when data is read from one source and moved into another. I have a basic knowledge of how RAM works but I'd like to read more on that as well. Does this give you an understanding of what I'm looking at? Lots of questions here and kinda covering a wide base, but I'd love to learn!

Thanks :)
 
Yeah, I've been looking there and finding some really good information. It's just hard sometimes because I haven't been finding exactly what I'm looking for but it's been going well so far...
 
I'd listen to the podcast Security Now episodes on computer fundamentals. Start with Episode 233:

http://twit.tv/sn233 Lets Build a Computer

Then, the rest of the series (in sequence, I hope)

http://twit.tv/sn235 Machine Language
http://twit.tv/sn237 The Power of Pointers
http://twit.tv/sn239 Stacks, Registers and Recursion
http://twit.tv/sn241 Hardware Interrupts
http://twit.tv/sn247 The Multiverse
http://twit.tv/sn250 Operating Systems
http://twit.tv/sn252 Riscy Business
http://twit.tv/sn254 What We'll Do For Speed

There is also a bunch of Q&A episodes scattered inbetween the above that help elaborate on concepts introduced in these episodes. If you have time, I'd suggest listening to them.
 
Back
Top