• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for a quality 2.0 or 2.1 computer setup

aggr1103

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
1,188
Hey guys,

Been wearing my hd-555's at my computer for about a year now. I love them, but i'm growing tired of having to pull them off and on so much (we have a 7mo. old and I draw diaper duty quite a bit), so I'm looking for a good quality 2.0 or 2.1 system. Bass isn't really important, although it would be nice to blare some music when the family is out of the house. Biggest thing is just overall quality of sound. Getting these hd-555's brought me into a new world of sound and I know with my budget my speakers will not rival it but it would be nice to have some speakers that don't sound muffled.

Probably the biggest thing holding me back is that my budget is going to be pretty tight. I'm looking to spend around $50 for this speaker set. Audiophiles are gonna flame me for that, but I already have a good quality set of cans and the speakers themselves will only be used on occasion during the day when its just me and the baby hanging out in my office. And with me saving for my second set of cans as well as a new system this year, I need to save pennies when I can.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm open to any and all brand names.
 
If you can find a used Altec MX5021's. I love these for music. Very clear, and best of all, the bass level is perfect. It does not over power the speakers, but compliments very well. No boomy or sloppy base. I had mine 3-4 years and they are still kicking strong.
 
Hey guys, I want a computer that's faster than my roommates Skulltrail. But I don't want to spend more than $50. Can you help?
Don't be a dick. The guy has a new kid, so his $50 budget is totally understandable.

For $50, though, I won't say you can really get 'good' sound. What you'll get is essentially just sound. Still, I listen to music on cheapy Dell-branded Altec Lansings at the office, and with the right equalization, it's more than tolerable. Grab Creative's el cheapo Inspire T10s or JBL's Duets and enjoy the more-than-bearable sound. You'll have to deal with the noisy pots, no doubt, but it's not that big a deal.

Try to shy away from 2.1 systems at this price point. You stand to do better with a 2.0 setup.
 
Don't be a dick. The guy has a new kid, so his $50 budget is totally understandable.

For $50, though, I won't say you can really get 'good' sound. What you'll get is essentially just sound. Still, I listen to music on cheapy Dell-branded Altec Lansings at the office, and with the right equalization, it's more than tolerable. Grab Creative's el cheapo Inspire T10s or JBL's Duets and enjoy the more-than-bearable sound. You'll have t o deal with the noisy pots, no doubt, but it's not that big a deal.

Try to shy away from 2.1 systems at this price point. You stand to do better with a 2.0 setup.

X2

Check ebay and what not. There's plenty of stuff out there. Doesn't sound like your in dire need yet.

What's your next set of cans?
 
Don't be a dick. The guy has a new kid, so his $50 budget is totally understandable.

Thanks for noticing my main money focus is my child. Its not like these are going to be my primary means of listening to music/playing games on my system anyway. I just know there are some folks out there that don't put as much money into speaker setups and those are the folks I'm looking for advice from.

What's your next set of cans?

I really want some beyer dt770's. I'm prolly gonna pickup a pair of grado sr-60's to play around with too.
 
I guess the 770's are now going solely to Amazon, wonder what pricing will do. I am looking to pick up a pair shortly for mobile use, currently using HD650's at home. If you can spring for it the Bose Companion 2 Series II go down to $80 or so. I am about the last person to recommend Bose anything but for a 2.0 pc setup for just hearing I think they are better than anything in the range, I would stay away from anything 2.1.
 
I just bout some Creative T20's from Circuit City after mail in rebate of $50 bucks they are $50. I would get the extra warranty on them though. My first pair had a slight crackle in them. This new pair have warmed up nicely and sound freakin amazing.

Look up the reviews on those.
 
I just bout some Creative T20's from Circuit City after mail in rebate of $50 bucks they are $50. I would get the extra warranty on them though. My first pair had a slight crackle in them. This new pair have warmed up nicely and sound freakin amazing.

Look up the reviews on those.

I was actually looking at these originally and started reading reviews of folks who had the crackle you speak of, so I'm kinda timid about them.

Anyone have any experience with the logitech x-230's? I know folks are telling me to stay away from 2.1 setups but for some reason I keep looking back at them with interest.
 
honestly the ones i have right now had the same crackle but after the warm up they dont any more. and with the warranty which is only 8 bucks who cares they crap out in 2 years i will go in and they cut me a check for 100 bucks i get somethin else.

But they have the best sound of any 2.0 system that i have heard in my low budget range. i also have a pair of beyer dt 770 pro 80 ohm and they sound ALMOST as good as those do. like i said ALMOST.
 
honestly the ones i have right now had the same crackle but after the warm up they dont any more.
You're not referring to the volume pot, are you? Noisy potentiometers are pretty common on cheap speakers, and working them out a bit now and then generally suffices.

Klipsch proMedia 2.1
What part of "around $50" did you have trouble understanding, exactly?
 
Yeah i was referring to the volume. I didn't know that was the reason. Now that I know I wont say that. I don't think they are cheap speakers. The build quality is very nice.
 
I bought my mom some x-230 speakers and she really likes them...and they felt like they had a pretty solid build when I set them up. I would also recommend the JBL creatures II. I've had them for awhile and I think their sound is quite adequate. Good luck! :)
 
I just set up an analog out to my old stereo receiver (14 yr. old Sony A/V, a cheap Sony sub, my Athena LS-50 way bookshelf speakers ($55/pair) ), and I gotta say - it blows away any 2.1 "computer speaker" setup I've ever heard. I, then decided to run S-video out the PC to the LCD and Sony Receiver - and now I can watch movies from the PC on my LCD, and watch Dish Network TV and DVD movies in 2.1. I ran all this through a dedicated A/V selector. Hooked up everything in a small $18 tv stand I bought at Wal-Mart to keep it tidy. This is just in my bedroom - and at first the wifey was saying "we don't really need all that", but now after it's all installed and cleaned up - she wouldn't go back to the way it was.

Thanks to everyone's input.
 
Back
Top