Looking for a new shooter with AAA "ambiance"

TroyTalksNoMore

Supreme [H]ardness
I've played Half-Life 1 & 2 (w/ cinemod), all CS's, COD's, Black Ops, Battlefields, Far Cry's, Crysis, Ghost Warriors, Snipers, Rainbow 6's, Max Paynes, Pay Day's, Juarez's, Hitman Absolution, Doom 3, etc.

I'm also trying to play through GTA V, Deus Ex, Mass Effects, Dishonored, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Just Cause 3, Batmans.

However, I just played Ryse: Son of Rome ($5 Steam Sale) and while it 's not a shooter - it had some of the most amazing environments and ambiance that I've ever seen - but SP only took 7 hours & also played 2-3 hours so far in MP because the maps have great ambiance for that world.

I guess that is what I am looking for... that kind of engrossment & wonder at the amazing world & scenery.

*Any suggestions for shooters that are set in amazing environments?

PS: I am playing a modded Skyrim too & the scenery is JAW DROPPING!
PS: also not a shooter, but Witcher 3 is on my wishlist.

Highly recommend witcher 3 since its on your list.

The base game has great graphics, but if you enjoy the main game, then the blood and wine expansion will blow your mind for scenery, and locations

Reactions: atom
like this
The newer Wolfenstien and Doom, maybe?

I really loved Metro series too... pretty grim looking but really sucked me in more than I expected...

I really loved Metro series too... pretty grim looking but really sucked me in more than I expected...
Seconded for the Metro series. The sum of the environments really suck you into that world. Might as well mention STALKER while we're at it.

Its not a shooter. But a pretty/atmospheric is Ori and the Blind Forest. Cheap game but very well made and challenging.

Metro and Fallout would be my only other options. The most recent metro, forget the name, just got a texture pack update for higher quality environment. Fallout is more a world crawler with hints of a shooter involved.

I guess I shouldn't have limited my title to shooters...

...blood and wine expansion will blow your mind for scenery, and locations...

Thanks, that's what I am looking for - MIND BLOWING scenery & locations!

It kind of looks like Assassin's Creed to me but I only played 2 hours of Assassin's Creed 2 & got bored.

I'll try AC2 again some day & will definitely grab Witcher 3+ when it goes on sale.

...newer Wolfenstien, Doom, Metro...

Wolfenstein: The New Order was a great game, I'd recommend that game to anyone!

If you mean Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, I just watched the trailer & noticed it's also on my wishlist.

DOOM: I never liked Doom or Unreal Tournament games very much. The maps, monsters & characters just felt barren & fake - but I did play them back in the day. I played a lot more Quake(s) thanks to all the maps & mods but they also felt barren & fake. When I first I tried Doom 3, I got about 20-30% through the game and got bored until one of my buddies got hooked on it and pushed me to finish the game. We took turns buying beer & hanging out at each others house to watch the other guy play & help each other when we got stuck. That made it more fun, and the environment could suck you in - if you were in the mood for that...

METRO: I have 9 hours into Metro 2033 on my old PC & it was definitely "moody". I just checked & it uses Steam Cloud so my save game is probably ready to go! Thanks for reminding me about that one!

If you guys are looking for something that's just "different" I'll recommend the Call of Juarez series. The "old west" environments aren't exactly mind blowing, but the you get to ride horses and use single shot weapons! ;)

Last edited:
Its not a shooter. But a pretty/atmospheric is Ori and the Blind Forest. Cheap game but very well made and challenging.

Metro and Fallout would be my only other options. The most recent metro, forget the name, just got a texture pack update for higher quality environment. Fallout is more a world crawler with hints of a shooter involved.

That Ori game looks pretty weird - I might like it!

Ori and the Blind Forest · FULL MOVIE [HD] (2015)

Since we went down the rabbit hole, I've thoroughly enjoyed 5 hours of Trine 2 & bought 1 & 3 on sale recently. Trine 2 has some beautiful visuals, but they aren't MIND BLOWING.

RE: Fallout - I played 2 hours of New Vegas & never went back... my buddy is harping on me RE: graphic mods and saying that - if I like Skyrim, I should like F4 - so I watched some youtube & it is just not my bottle of beer (I don't drink cups of tea).

I'm not a huge fan of the overall game, but you should try Tomb Raider 2014. It had some of the absolute best art direction and overall graphics, of that year. It does have some fun environment traversal. And those environments are totally worth looking at. Then move up to Rise of The Tomb Raider.

Not shooters but these games are worth indulging in.

PC

Metro 2033
Metro Last Light
Rise of Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider 2013
Witcher 3
The Division
Mad Max
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
GTA V
Dying Light
Borderlands games if you haven't played them
Crysis 3 if you haven't played
Batman Arkham Knight (also Arkham Asylum and Arkham City)
Quantum Break
Shadow of Mordor
Doom

Non-PC

Uncharted 4
Uncharted games 1-3

I am spent. Will update more when I remember some more.

It's not eye candy, but if you're looking for mood, I recommend Resident Evil Revelations 2. Mood, ambiance, pacing, and story are the whole reason I don't enjoy most games any more, and have really taken a shine to the Revelations games.

Last edited:
Hands Down Witcher 3. Especially the blood and wine expansion. The sunsets are mindblowing

Limbo
Inside

Both are fucking amazing, but Inside is on a whole other level. The games are incredibly rich with atmosphere. Not sure if Inside is out for PC yet or not.

Second all of these!

It's not eye candy, but if you're looking for mood, I recommend Resident Evil Revelations 2. Mood, ambiance, pacing, and story are the whole reason I don't enjoy most games any more, and have really taken a shine to the Revelations games.

I absolutely loved Revelations 2. 1 was great but 2 was so much better. The atmosphere in the creepy mansion later... ugh. I wish the whole game was like that.

SOMA. Very well done and good atmosphere.

Everything else has been said so far that I thought of.

The Shadow Warrior reboot is still the best shooter/sword-wielding game I have played in the last couple of years.

I pulled out my Wang & played with it again today thanks to you...

I only had 2 hours into the game before & loved the bamboo forest, demons, gates, towns, etc.

GREAT ATMOSPHERE!

PS: the player name is Lo Wang & the game is loaded w/ crude humor.

Last edited:
Thx, when I first saw that one, it looked like just another zombie game, but based on your comment, I watched some vids and added it to my wishlist. It does have a unique ambiance, but it isn't the kind of word that I want to spend a lot of time in... unless I'm in a "mood" - like METRO.

Anyway, I just noticed this game & will put this on my radar too: KINGDOM COME: Deliverance
Armor & RPG

Finally, here's another similar thread: I need a good open world replacement for Fallout 4

Last edited:
I've got 2 hours into - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl on my old PC - but it was pretty grim looking.

I guess the atmosphere fit the game but IDK if I will go back to it. No STEAM CLOUD save game either.

It's definitely grim but quite fun to explore & get better gear. Unfortunately, not all games will have cloud backups (unless you set it up yourself with something like Game Save Manager with cloud saving).

Got Witcher 3 for $25 this week - OMG - it really lives up to the hype so far (6 hours into it)!

I bought W1 & W2 on sale long ago, so I put the expansions to my wishlist until I catch up (next year?).

The atmosphere is great - especially sunrise & sunsets out in the wild. Getting 45~65 FPS w/ 55 pretty steady.

Running @ Ultra w/ shadows ticked down to high & vsync OFF + all Postprocessing @ high.

I'm typically plowing thru the main mission & only occasionally getting sucked into side quests.

I almost always choose #1 (good guy mode to me) on my first run & will play #2 choices & more quests "someday".

:D

Got Witcher 3 for $25 this week - OMG - it really lives up to the hype so far (6 hours into it)!

I bought W1 & W2 on sale long ago, so I put the expansions to my wishlist until I catch up (next year?).

The atmosphere is great - especially sunrise & sunsets out in the wild. Getting 45~65 FPS w/ 55 pretty steady.

Running @ Ultra w/ shadows ticked down to high & vsync OFF + all Postprocessing @ high.

I'm typically plowing thru the main mission & only occasionally getting sucked into side quests.

I almost always choose #1 (good guy mode to me) on my first run & will play #2 choices & more quests "someday".

:D

How do you like the combat? It doesn't sound all that appealing to me based on reviews.

Planetside 2 is fun chaos. Best if played with a squad though I still get down by myself.

How do you like the combat? It doesn't sound all that appealing to me based on reviews.

Combat is OK & feels a lot like the Batman games.
~ the scenery, atmosphere, environments, buildings, villages are spectacular.

There are 1, 2, 3, 4 difficulty settings (you can change them in game too).

I started @ 2 & jumped to 4 after an hour or so. Currently playing on 3.

At one point, I dialed back to 2 just to finish the chapter, save & go to bed.

PS: I am NOT prone to mess with crafting & upgrading stuff, so I'm typically using basic starter gear like a caveman. If things get really hard, I'll apply some upgrades but never dick with it if it isn't really obvious in the Inventory screens.

===========================================
I found this description on another forum:

Easy - hack n slash your way through. Barely any need to use potions, bombs or oils, unless you want to have some diversity. Bestiary can be avoided completely. Heal when meditating.

Normal - Same as above, except enemies hit a little stronger and uou take more damage. Group enemies may surprisingly get the best of you and you can run across an enemy or two that will give you trouble. You may need to use oils, potions, and bombs, but most likely only on bosses / contracts. Heal when meditate.

Hard - Enemies hit even harder and you sustain more damage. Most importantly, you DONT regenerate health when you meditate. Oils, bombs and potions are a must for higher level enemies, groups, and especially boss / contracts You'll rely on Quen quite. Every fight takes a little more thought and you'll die quickly if you make a dumb mistake.

Very Hard - Same as above, except enemies hit the hardest and you'll sustain the most amount of same.

All in all, even Very Hard is manageable once you're 10 - 15 hours in. The more items, abilities, etc that you unlock makes the game easier as it progresses. At that point, the game evens out.

===========================================
Intro / tutorial - combat stuff starts here:

Damn it I can already tell I'm gonna be stuck in this game for hours. Thanks, asshole. :D:p

If you want immersion you want Skyrim. Also, if you are going to get into Skyrim, you might as well cancel your plans for the next 12 months.

If you want immersion you want Skyrim. Also, if you are going to get into Skyrim, you might as well cancel your plans for the next 12 months.

Idk about that. I'm playing with the entire STEP guide mods installed, and tbh I feel like I'm starting to have trouble finding stuff to do after ~1.5 weeks. I've beat the main quests for the main game and dawnguard and am working on dragonborn. Idk what it is but it feels like a chore trying to find quests after a while.

Back