Looking for a new gigabit managed switch for (quite extensive) home use

luckylinux

Limp Gawd
As mentioned in the title I'm looking for two 24 port gigabit managed switches for my home LAN.

Feature-wise I need at the very least:
  • Link aggregation
  • VLANs
  • CLI (preferably full support)
  • Low power consumption (not something >100W)
  • PoE not absolutely necessary. May be useful if the price premium is not too much (you never know what may happen in the future, maybe you need it)

For use in LAN at home with
  • Virtualization server with multiple parallel gigabit links
  • NAS
  • Media server
  • Multiple clients streaming/backupping/downloading/uploading various data

Let's be frank: I won't get anywhere near 48gbps of simultaneous routing bandwidth. However reliability and features are essential to me.

I currently own one HP 1810-8G (v1) and one HP 1810-24G (v1) and they work well.
For just a few $ more more than the HP 1810-24G I could get the HP 1910-24G which should provide some (limited) CLI and working SNMP.

I though I could get the HP 2510-24G but that's more than twice the 1810-24G's price.

I currently could buy the above mentioned models for:
  • HP 1810-24G -> 230$/pc
  • HP 1910-24G -> 245$/pc
  • HP 2510-24G -> 460$/pc

I can't really understand how come the 1910 is the same price leage as the 1810 (except maybe because of being 3com's designed crappy[?] hardware?). The 1910 provides some more advanced control features (limited CLI, SNMP, QoS, ..., all HP 1910's can be managed from one web interface) and the "only" cons may be the fan to cool it down. I'm quite tempted to just put it in a noise-dampening DIY case and cool it with more decent 120mm fans which are very quiet.

I'm not biased towards HP's switches. However I heard bad stories about Cisco's low-end switches, Netgear switches falling apart, etc. If you know switches from other brands that are of good quality, feel free to suggest. From what I can see, HP's lifetime warranty should be a good buy.

I don't know if you can help me choosing the right switch or if you can ask me about other features I may desire (and I don't know about yet) which may be useful in the future.

Thanks in advance to those willing to help me ;)

Additional info: budget is 350$/piece ABSOLUTE MAX and 250$/piece ideally.

Last edited:
What is your exact budget?

I run a Cisco SG300-28, it fits all of your specs. For a bit more you can have a SG300-28P with 24 PoE ports.

I run a Cisco SG300-28, it fits all of your specs. For a bit more you can have a SG300-28P with 24 PoE ports.
Well ... as for the budget I'd say 350$/piece ABSOLUTE MAX and 250$/piece ideally.

Don't those Cisco have the not-so-good Linksys firmware/software embedded in them?
How's warranty and support?

The SG300-28P would be 600$ here. The SG300-28 isn't available in my area.
That's definitively out my budget.

Unless you absolutely have to buy new, look on Ebay.

If you have a little bit of time to shop around on Ebay, you can get a very good deal.

Unless you absolutely have to buy new, look on Ebay.

If you have a little bit of time to shop around on Ebay, you can get a very good deal.

Which switch do you mean to look for on ebay?
The SG300-28 is more expensive on ebay than in my local retailers (>800$ + import duties + taxes).

Edit: Reason to buy new: basically to have a good warranty / support

Well ... as for the budget I'd say 350$/piece ABSOLUTE MAX and 250$/piece ideally.

Don't those Cisco have the not-so-good Linksys firmware/software embedded in them?
How's warranty and support?

The SG300-28P would be 600$ here. The SG300-28 isn't available in my area.
That's definitively out my budget.

They Cisco's run a modified Cisco IOS. They have a full CLI and also have web based if you want that.

Lifetime warranty, Cisco support is great.

I got my SG300-28 on eBay for $250.

They Cisco's run a modified Cisco IOS. They have a full CLI and also have web based if you want that.

Lifetime warranty, Cisco support is great.

I got my SG300-28 on eBay for $250.

Good to know that feature-wise it's a good switch.

You got it used or new on ebay? If used I think Cisco (like any other company in a business) would refuse to fulfill their warranty, because normally that only applies to the first user/buyer/client (not applicable if reselled).
Furthermore there are no good offers shipping to my area at the moment.

Good to know that feature-wise it's a good switch.

You got it used or new on ebay? If used I think Cisco (like any other company in a business) would refuse to fulfill their warranty, because normally that only applies to the first user/buyer/client (not applicable if reselled).
Furthermore there are no good offers shipping to my area at the moment.

Used.

HP nor Cisco will honor a resold device.

I am looking to buy one of this within the next few weeks (SG300-28P with 24 PoE ports), I wonder if this switch has the regular Cisco IOS that allows you to manage it through CLI.

Cisco 3750E used off ebay or better on a multitude of 1000% more a 4948.

I paid 1100 for my 4948-10gig.

I have a Dell Power Connect I got on ebay for about 200 bucks. It's been good so far. I have like 10 or so vlans already. I trunk it to pfsense and do the routing/firewalling there, works nicely. May be worthwhile to check ebay and see what you find.

MikroTik Cloud Router Switch Available in desktop, rackmount, or desktop with 1w 2.4ghz wifi. Starts at ~$189 brand new.

It'll do everything you have mentioned and then some. True L3 switch.

The only unknown is the inter-vlan routing, I haven't gotten my hands on one yet (i use many mikrotik products though) so I'm not sure if the inter-vlan routing will be handled by the switch chip or the processor. That's the one thing mikrotik hasn't been clear on.

MikroTik Cloud Router Switch Available in desktop, rackmount, or desktop with 1w 2.4ghz wifi. Starts at ~$189 brand new.

The only unknown is the inter-vlan routing, I haven't gotten my hands on one yet (i use many mikrotik products though) so I'm not sure if the inter-vlan routing will be handled by the switch chip or the processor. That's the one thing mikrotik hasn't been clear on.

What I want to know too. Love their routers. Let me know if you get one hoe the L3 switch features work out.

That looks awesome.

Cisco Small Business never asked the ownership history for a lifetime warranty replacement (used off ebay). They only check the serial number validity.
They even priority cross-ship without asking for a credit card. The slightly higher prices justify the customer service level.

Used.

Used.

I've had HP warranty a unit I bought used, not even a switch either.
A printer that still had a warranty on it.

The assumption that the unit was registered in the first place is the telling factor.
A lot of people never register their devices, so the mfg knows no different about
who owned what or bought it from where, till someone tells them otherwise.

I work in the out of warranty part of the company too, its all very convoluted how it
works, trust me on that. If you get denied on a unit, call back in, don't bother getting
transferred, I can assure you, it won't be for your benefit in about 90% of cases, its
intent is to shuffle you till you hang up and don't call back in.

Back