Looking for a new build/critique

I am going to go ahead and answer the questions first and then give the build that I have come up with so far.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Gaming (WoW, LoL, Path of Exile, and really any other game), Web browsing, and a little video editing (not much)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

I would like to keep it around 900-1000 USD

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Memphis, TN

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, motherboard, GFX card, PSU, RAM.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

I will be using one of the many hard drives I have. i'm not gonna take the time to list them all.

6) Will you be overclocking?

Not really
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

I have two 23" monitors that run 1920x1080

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

ASAP. Whenever i can get a build finalized.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

USB 3.0, SATA

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Windows 7 Home 64 bit.

I was browsing the forums for the past few days and found parts of a build that i liked:

$184 - Intel Core i5-3470 CPU
$78 - Asus P8B75-M/CSM Intel B75 mATX Motherboard
$42 - Corsair 8GB CMV8GX3M1A1333C9 DDR3 1600 RAM
$370 - MSI N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB PCI-E Video Card

I'm slightly concerned about the motherboard. Everywhere i look, I find limited supplies of this board. I have also never used a mATX board. The size of them makes me think that heat will get centralized on the board and begin to get too hot.

I currently have an Antec 900 case which I plan on using if I can. I have noticed that my current 5850 almost doesn't fit so I think I may have to get a new case depending on the GFX card I get.

My big thing that I have got burned on in the past is Power supplies. I have received many DOA and I have yet to find a good company to go with. I have also thought about an i7 instead of the i5 but i don't really know if I will see that much of a performance boost in the games that I want to play.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
These seem to be the best bang for the buck PSUs I could find:
Seasonic S12II 620 $75
Corsair TX650 V2 $91 -$10MIR

These are well respected PSUs and the Corsair has a combo with the pretty sweet Corsair 400R/500R case. Although you're budget allows for a bit of splurging on a nicer modular PSU if you want.

i7 pretty much only reccommended for serious video editing and other professional work. Mobo looks ok, but theres handfuls of other good budget mobos.

Also, depending on what hard drive you are reusing, you may want a faster/newer one. I always like to try to fit a SSD in a build if I can.

$184 - Intel Core i5-3470 CPU
$78 - Asus P8B75-M/CSM Intel B75 mATX Motherboard
$42 - Corsair 8GB CMV8GX3M1A1333C9 DDR3 1600 RAM
$370 - MSI N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB PCI-E Video Card

I'm slightly concerned about the motherboard. Everywhere i look, I find limited supplies of this board. I have also never used a mATX board. The size of them makes me think that heat will get centralized on the board and begin to get too hot.
Heat won't be that much of an issue considering that you'll be placing the mobo inside an ATX case.
I currently have an Antec 900 case which I plan on using if I can. I have noticed that my current 5850 almost doesn't fit so I think I may have to get a new case depending on the GFX card I get.
Yeah definitely get a new case. I recommend the Corsair 200R or 300R as budget replacements.
My big thing that I have got burned on in the past is Power supplies. I have received many DOA and I have yet to find a good company to go with.
I recommend this PSU:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LB5AZY/?tag=extension-kb-20
I have also thought about an i7 instead of the i5 but i don't really know if I will see that much of a performance boost in the games that I want to play.
As noted earlier, you won't need an i7.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the suggestions for power supplies. I do have one question though. After doing a little more research on the video card, I can't find anywhere (MSI website included) on what the required power for this video card is. Can anyone help?

Thanks for that Danny. I am looking to finalize this build on Friday or Saturday. looks like I will be getting a new case since the funds aren't going to be too tight. I have seen suggestions of a Corsair 200R or 300R. Any other suggestions.

The 200R, 300R, 400R or Antec 1100 are my recommendations.

Also, please post a final build list before you buy so that we can make sure you've got everything right.

Back