• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

looking for a gpu for high power sff rig

ekuest

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 23, 2009
Messages
6,094
i have a 5850, and as awesome as it is, its pretty long. i may just design my case to fit any length gpu, but im not sure. i see that the 460 is almost as powerful, and 1.25in shorter. i have also been taking into account that the 5850 and 460 have power ports on the ends, whereas the 5870 and 470 have ports on top. so whats a good card for heavy gaming at 2560x1600 thats also as short as possible? thanks. :)
 
The 5850 fits fine into a number of cases I think, I would go ahead and stick with that card personally and if you need to, get another case that'd fit. It'd be cheaper.
 
GTX470, since it's the same length as a HD5850, which is the same length as a HD4870.

But as you mentioned, power ports on top :D

EDIT: all with *just* fit into a SG05, with no modifications. The GTX470 has an easier time of it.
 
thanks guys. im probably making my own case for this one, which i want to keep as small and simple as possible. i think right now i want a 470, since its more powerful (especially at 2560x1600) and shorter than a 5850. i am open to gtx 200-series or radeon 4800-series cards if theyre good power to length ratio but i doubt any of them would be better than a 460/5850/etc. i dont really know anything about the 465 and 5830, are they any good in terms of performance to length? i can overclock whatever card a bit too.
 
The GTX260 and 280 (and the 295 even I think) are the same length as the HD5850 and the GTX470 I think, and are outclassed by both.
 
if I remember right, the one of the palit gtx 460 is a pretty sweet lil' card. keeps cool and can be overclocked to easily butt heads or even edge out the gtx 470. I can't remember the full details, but I think they redesigned the board layout as it's smaller than the reference 460 and is supposed to have awesome power usage when overclocked.

edit; after a bit of research, it seems palit isn't a very worthy manufacturer. for all the decent reviews of the card my friend had me linked too, most manufacturer interactions that customers have expressed seem to be much less than satisfactory, lol.
 
Last edited:
God, I never realized how large video cards had gotten. I just replaced a radeon x700 pro with a gtx260 and the thing is enormous in comparison. Must be about 5x the volume and weight
 
if I remember right, the one of the palit gtx 460 is a pretty sweet lil' card. keeps cool and can be overclocked to easily butt heads or even edge out the gtx 470. I can't remember the full details, but I think they redesigned the board layout as it's smaller than the reference 460 and is supposed to have awesome power usage when overclocked.

edit; after a bit of research, it seems palit isn't a very worthy manufacturer. for all the decent reviews of the card my friend had me linked too, most manufacturer interactions that customers have expressed seem to be much less than satisfactory, lol.

man that card looks great. thanks for the suggestion. it is shorter, and it even has the plugs on top making it even shorter still. too bad i dont really want to spend $200 on a card from a company i dont trust. :/ ill keep it in mind as a possibility though.
 
God, I never realized how large video cards had gotten. I just replaced a radeon x700 pro with a gtx260 and the thing is enormous in comparison. Must be about 5x the volume and weight

Yeah I had an X800 way back when, and going to my GTX260 was a ridiculous increase in size. Sorta miss the good ol' days when cards were as long as the slot that they went in to. lol
 
Back
Top