Looking for a certain type of gameplay

montana

Weaksauce
I'm looking for these things in an online FPS game. If you have any recommendations please add them.:

1. jungle or outdoor terrain. Vegetation is a huge plus for realism.
2. Open world or real feeling maps. I can no longer tolerate the "rat in a box" style of online FPS like TF2 or CS:S. I want to explore and fight the enemy at my own pace, or at least make my own choises about where to play on a map.
3. Sniping, waiting out the enemy. Using smarts to outflank the enemy.
4. I do not need to shoot something every five seconds. I have no problem waiting long periods in betwen kills.
5. Vehicle are a plus, but not required.

This may sound like "camping" to some but I would consider it a realistic type of manhunt type of style where patience, brains and a quick draw put you on top mixed in with an outdoor environment that feels at least sort of realistic.

So far, Far Cry 2 multiplayer comes the closest to this, but no one plays it and the controls feel a bit wonky. The other closest I have tried is BF Vietnam, but that's a bit dated now.

Sould I be looking at something like Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty World at War? Thanks for any tips.

CoD4 and CoDWaW are not quite Quake fast but are still very very fast-paced games. BF2142 was decent because of the size scale of maps.. ArmA 2 might be to your liking, though I haven't tried it since the horribly buggy demo.

America's Army 2.x would definitely be your choice of game, but the community is pretty much dead and AA 3.0 is fairly poor.

Arma 2, maaaaaybe Battlefield 2.

Call of duty is definitely not what you want. EDIT: To clarify, this is because CoD maps are relatively tight and densely populated. The gameplay doesn't sprawl over a large open area, it's concentrated. This is part of why it's so fun and popular, but it doesn't fit the bill as described by the OP. Even the larger maps with some vegetation are easily reduced to hot-spots and what amounts to heavily-trodden "corridors" through the map.

Last edited:
Sounds like the OP would enjoy the Delta Force games by Novalogic.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I would say that COD 4 would fit the bill. Just be sure to download the 1.6 and 1.7 patches. You'll enjoy the maps Overgrown and Creek from the sound of your post. They're not HUGE maps but alot bigger than the other vanilla maps.

The beginning parts of Crysis are exactly like what you described but I haven't advanced past this part yet and I know the game starts to get into more winter climate later on.

Arma 2 has everything that you want in a game but it is a pile of crap. Way too buggy for me to play for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Insurgency Mod sounds like exactly what you want. It is also a source mod, so it is free.

The beginning parts of Crysis are exactly like what you described but I haven't advanced past this part yet and I know the game starts to get into more winter climate later on.

Beat me to it. The first 1/3 of Crysis is just like this, especially on the harder difficulties.

CoD4? Nothing like this.

RED ORCESTRA!! I think would fit your game type completly.

I also recommend this, but a warning - the North America community is *almost* dead. I've only rarely found full, online servers in NA since the Darkest Hour mod was released. Though there are usually a few EU servers with people playing.

I also recommend this, but a warning - the North America community is *almost* dead. I've only rarely found full, online servers in NA since the Darkest Hour mod was released. Though there are usually a few EU servers with people playing.

Yet, since Darkest Hour was released there are enough NA servers going whenever I've felt like playing. Since it's a free mod to RO, I don't see the big deal here. :confused:

As far as multiplayer, you won't really find a game anything like what you are describing. Single player, however, you pretty much described Crysis.

And CERTAINLY not the CoD games, unless you find guys running around with a Winchester 1887 shotgun in each hand "tactical gunplay".

The only game I can think of that fits all that criteria is Far Cry 2, but I wouldn't condone paying money for that abortion.

The comments on CoD are dead on, the maps are pretty small and the career is essentially "hallway" style. Battlefield: Bad Company maybe? RPS's like Fallout 3 or Borderlands might work for you....

And CERTAINLY not the CoD games, unless you find guys running around with a Winchester 1887 shotgun in each hand "tactical gunplay".

Gospel.

(And I actually enjoy the game as a mindless shooter. Akimbo 1887 is pretty much broken. I wouldn't mind if they turned the aim assist down a bit either.)

As far as OP request, though not a jungle, Battlefield 1943 had a bit of the open world feel with destructible environments and more importantly, still fairly active online.

He's looking for "an online FPS game" you you're recommending crysis single player?

Maybe the older delta force games and ARMA2 are the only thing I can think of that fit your criteria.

Depends on what you want. If you're looking for just single player, Crysis and Far Cry 2 are the most recent ones. If your PC can't handle Crysis, and you aren't into FC2's repetition, go for the original Far Cry. Brilliant, fun game up until the monkies. If you're into old stuff, the Novalogic games, like Delta Force were absolutely awesome.

Multiplayer-wise, it's harder to find populated servers. I used to play Novalogic's Typhoon Rising, which had a good community, but it might be too dated now. Some of the best "manhunt" sniping type fun I ever had was on Far Cry 1 multiplayer, but it's probably dead now. I guess you could try Crysis Warhead if your comp can handle it.

Overall, I highly recommend you just pick up Far Cry 1. Excellent single player for a while and if you can find a populated server, you'll have a blast.

If you're more brave, try Typhoon Rising for some really in-depth stuff (I'm talking loading humvees into helicopters for aerial assaults or sniping while compensating for bullet drop). Good luck ;)

Oh, off topic:

There's more tactics in taking a dump than there is in a cod game.

You obviously never played the first one. It was farking BRILLIANT.

Their are only about 3 maps in wm2 that would suffice what you are looking for in MP and those would be Derail, Wasteland and I cant think of the third off the top of my head. Waiting for those maps to come up will take too long so I wouldnt advice that game if that is what you are looking for.
Delta force was good single player, only played a lil of MP when it was around.
I can think of a bunch of SP but not MP for that stuff, at least none that are still played.

Crysis definitely fits the bill here I think.

yup. try crysis :)

I've never messed with the multiplayer so that may be a crap shoot (if anyone even plays it). COD4 might be ok for ya. It all really depends on how you play it, but I've always found playing a sniper to be a TON of fun. You can play it run and gun, or you can go off to a desolate corner of the map and wait for people to cross in your line of sight :)

Use the perk to hide yourself from enemy radar, evesdropping and forgot the other I used to use (its been a while), but you could jump between 2 or 3 different snipe spots and own people all day long :)

The other I was going to suggest is ARMA 2, but I didn't care for it too much (ymmv)

Oh, there was another game that was supposed to be very tactical like that... think it was called dragon rising or something

Crysis is just like what you are looking for, and also my favorite type of fps game, single player wise. Online crysis is basically dead, but power struggle is an awesome mode if you can somehow find a good / full server, the other modes are more like your standard UT gameplay.

For online, the battlefield series is all I know of that's close to this. 1942, BF2, and the new one, bad company 2, are all pretty much spot on for this type of gameplay. if you have a ps3, you can play bad company 2 beta right now, it's amazingly fun.

Arma 2 - Game of the Year, game of next year.

I cant fathom Arma 2 being anywhere near game of the year. It is a great idea executed as bad as you can execute an idea. It is a terrible gaming experience.

Battlefield 2 is the closest you will come to an open game with lots of vegetation and cover. If you're a good Commander, you can sit back and hardly shoot anyone. If you like sniping, you can go for that too. The pace is whatever you want it to be.

You might find a game with something "closer" to what you want, but you won't find anyone playing. The BF2 community is still going strong.

stalker has online gameplay? no shit

I need to really make a trip to my storage unit and grab my games :(

As far as multiplayer, you won't really find a game anything like what you are describing. Single player, however, you pretty much described Crysis.

amen. If they don't nerf those things i'll be pissed... you akimbo them and they become so inaccurate that they make a perfect spread so people don't even aim... they just shoot in your general direction and the spray kills you... no skill. they also should get rid of the commando perk because its retarded... you get knifed from like 10 feet away.. . . I doubt they have 25+ foot wingspans ;)

As far as what you are looking for... the only experience I've had that fits your criteria is the Socom games for playstation. . . socom 2 for ps2 being the best :)

Back