insane111

Limp Gawd
This is what I've got so far in my annoying quest for a budget HTPC

2x TSi300 fronts
2x TSi100 sides
1x CS10 center
Subwoofer undecided
BenQ W1070 projector

I've got absolutely zero experience with receivers or audio in general, so I'm looking for suggestions here.
All I require from the receiver is the best sound for the price and maybe 2 or 3 hdmi ports.
I do not need extra features like internet, 3d, or extra ports - I'm hoping that will help cut down the price.
It will be used pretty much exclusively with my HTPC to view TV&movies.

Also someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. I'm assuming I can run HDMI from my video card to the receiver to transfer audio and that will work perfectly fine.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Onkyo's current receivers are crap based on the reviews I've read.

The Denon AVR-1513 should have everything you are looking for. Stepping up to the 1613 adds a bit, but if you don't need the extras like room calibration and one more HDMI input why spend the money. Amazon has them at a good price: http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1513-Channel-Through-Receiver/dp/B007R8U5VM

Go the Yamaha route, they have SUPERB reliability.

I have a RX-V667 and with 6 HDMI inputs, multichannel input (usefull for PC analog multi channel out soundards), ability to control TV via HDMI return (simplink ect) I could not be happier.

You are NOT going to get anything better for $330 (refurbished 1 year manufacturer warranty) This thing packs some serious punch and has room for expansion as your needs change (more speakers, zone control, more HDMI, etc)

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V66...e=UTF8&qid=1362886071&sr=1-1&keywords=rx-v667

IF you want 5.1 only you can go

RV-X47X or RVx-37X

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004QR56R0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...ndition=new&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=&startIndex=0

Things I have plugged into my HDMI inputs PS3, Xbox 360, Laptop, Wii U, Video camera (front)

Yes you can run HDMI to receiver from PC with some caviat's. The Receiver, PC (video drivers) and TV have to support the ability to chain HDMI signal from one device to the next and you WILL get display lag on PC applications

Last edited:
Onkyo's current receivers are crap based on the reviews I've read. ...
I take reviews with a grain of salt. It's always the person pissed off about their purchase to post a negative review, but few who have no problems at all will go back and post a positive review. I for one love my Onkyos and looking to upgrade one of them to the TX-NR616 this spring. Just waiting for it to drop below $300 again on Amazon.

I take reviews with a grain of salt. It's always the person pissed off about their purchase to post a negative review, but few who have no problems at all will go back and post a positive review. I for one love my Onkyos and looking to upgrade one of them to the TX-NR616 this spring. Just waiting for it to drop below $300 again on Amazon.

I know 2 people that both had issues with their receivers that they needed to be sent in for repair / replacement within 60 days of getting their onkyo's. Both had the same issue and both needed a board replaced.

Yamaha receivers are built like audio equipment first and last forever.

Onkyo used to make pretty nice AVR's but ever since their models started to add HDMI switching I've heard nothing but issues with them failing, at least the cheap models. the integra models still get high marks as far as I see.

Last edited:
^ AVS forum will give you the lowdown on Onkio and Denon HDMI issues for sure...

Back