Looking for a 2.5" USB Enclosure

Slamm

n00b
Hey, just got a 20 gig 2.5" 12mm high laptop hard drive. I am wanting to get an external enclosure for this. Could not find any on eBay nor Newegg as well. Would anyone know of a place where they sell these at?

Thanks

You're not looking hard enough.. :p

The SanMAX ones say they'll hold a 12mm drive as do a couple others. You'll have to look to see which one suits your needs. Unfortunately, a lot of them use PS2 power rather than the USB or FireWire bus... which I could never understand. 5 volts is 5 volts and I highly doubt there is much difference in amperage.

I use the Bytec one that's USB 2.0 and it works great, bus powered and all that... but only works with a 9.5mm drive. :(

Aside from that, I believe that Evergreen Technologies are all bus powered (we have some at work), but horribly expensive.

Good Luck!!

Does the SANMax require PS/2 power? And for larger hard drives (such as an 80g), is the PS2 power supply REQUIRED?

i always wanted to make a custom enclosure with a usb2 or firewire + dc powersupply. But i noticed that individually adding up, these cost more then a pre-assembled enclosure. Anyone ever built their own?

I looked for a while to find a USB 2.0 enclosure for a 2.5" drive. I really wanted USB2.0 and Firewire but they were just too expensive for what i needed.

And like animeguru said, a lot only use the PS2 or an external power supply for power. There were a bunch of good ones on Newegg and Compgeeks but I ended up just picking a CompUSA branded enclosure at the store and it works great. PS2 or USB powered. Transfer speeds are excellent and it is very small.

If it was listed on their site I'd link you to it but I can't find it. It was only $19.99.

Back