Look at my heat sink and fan!!

I use a vacuum for my PC every once in a while. There's no need to rub the damn bristles against anything. Just keep it a distance. Though I only use my plastic hose adapter on mine.

vacuum to suck out the dust from the front of my stacker and the big round circle vent inbetween a good air compressor cleaning once a month.

stays pretty clean by doing that.

[H]Opterown said:
I will laugh at you when you kill your computer with static electricty.

"Users can use a vacuum to suck up dirt, dust, or hair around their computer on the outside case and on their keyboards. However, do not use a vacuum for the inside of your computer as it generates a lot of static electricity that can damage the internal components of your computer. If you need to use a vacuum to clean the inside of your computer, use a portable battery powered vacuum designed to do this job."

Taken from: http://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm

Once a month I take my computer outside, open the side and blow all the dust out using a shop vac blower. Does this mean I could damage it by static electricity?

Thanks.

singingstallion said:
Once a month I take my computer outside, open the side and blow all the dust out using a shop vac blower. Does this mean I could damage it by static electricity?

Thanks.
no, your fine. DONT PANIC

[H]Opterown said:
Vacuum's = static electricity = BAD
FUD.

Simple as that. How do I know? I've vacuumed loads of PC's. Guess what? No problems. I've even vacuumed the inside of mine while it was on. So yeah, stop spreading this myth because it is just that; a myth.

Nothing beats hands on experience, nothing.

I think people seem to think vacuum cleaners are really bad because of the intensely loud noise they make and so they then use static electricity as a way to justify their fear. If vacuum cleaners were totally silent, we wouldn't be having this debate.

spine said:
FUD.

Simple as that. How do I know? I've vacuumed loads of PC's. Guess what? No problems. I've even vacuumed the inside of mine while it was on. So yeah, stop spreading this myth because it is just that; a myth.

But you still haven't proved the fact that they do produce a lot of charge. All that air rushing past the nozzle does build up a lot of static electricity. You're just getting lucky, that's all.

spine said:
I think people seem to think vacuum cleaners are really bad because of the intensely loud noise they make and so they then use static electricity as a way to justify their fear. If vacuum cleaners were totally silent, we wouldn't be having this debate.

LOL!

spine said:
FUD.

i agree. loud things have been known to scare noobs. i vacuum my pc also.

Heh, if you knew the air technicians I know, I would take a sample of that and see what the hell is growing in it.
My god man, thats not that bad, but its bad. I have seen totally worse that that but well it was from a smoker/very dusty house/anti clensed person who had plenty of animals too.

I would suggest you may want to wear a face mask of some type when you clean that out. You also may want to turn on CPU thermal protection in your bios to help prevent a major destruction of your pc's main board.

T

I've been there holmes, you gotta smoke it out..:cool:

games007.jpg

games.jpg

malicious said:
another vote for nasty
noobtech said:
A lot of tech books still advise not to use vacuums when cleaning parts either... that computerhome site probably didn't do their homework. I rather not take the risk myself and prefer canned air... besides, I do it outside and its fun to see that giant cloud of dead skin & other particles recycle back into mother.... mother earth. w00t!
lol & lol

the nasty part of that lighter pic is that ~%40 of that is your skin..

gg' i bet it smelled like shit. :)

AmIdYfReAk said:
the nasty part of that lighter pic is that ~%40 of that is your skin..

gg' i bet it smelled like shit. :)

I bet he got hungry after smelling the cooked flesh. :D

OP is full of crap. That picture was posted here over two years ago. Nice try.

Met-AL said:
OP is full of crap. That picture was posted here over two years ago. Nice try.

are you talking to me.
I can take a picture of the exact same computer with out the dust with the same set up
I just took the picture Friday

andrew911tt said:
are you talking to me.
I can take a picture of the exact same computer with out the dust with the same set up
I just took the picture Friday

:rolleyes: Chicagowned!! (Sorry Met-AL, I couldn't resist :))

Back