Look at my heat sink and fan!!

andrew911tt

Limp Gawd
Isn't this awsome, I finally found out why my computer started to run slow down.

0406062335a.jpg

0406062335b.jpg

Compressed air is very useful. I opened up my case earlier and noticed the video cards were growing mustaches so i blasted everything down good with canned air and got all the junk out. One benefit of a case window is you want to keep your computer clean on the inside if you keep your room clean on the outside.

Zinn said:
Compressed air is very useful. I opened up my case earlier and noticed the video cards were growing mustaches so i blasted everything down good with canned air and got all the junk out. One benefit of a case window is you want to keep your computer clean on the inside if you keep your room clean on the outside.

Actually a small shop vac with a mini accessory kit is very useful... compressed air just pushes the dust around.

Home vaccum cleaners can cause static electricity, thats what hes talking about. Oh and holy CRAP howd you let your rig get so freak nasty? *shiver*

I will laugh at you when you kill your computer with static electricty.

"Users can use a vacuum to suck up dirt, dust, or hair around their computer on the outside case and on their keyboards. However, do not use a vacuum for the inside of your computer as it generates a lot of static electricity that can damage the internal components of your computer. If you need to use a vacuum to clean the inside of your computer, use a portable battery powered vacuum designed to do this job."

Taken from: http://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm

you dont have to worry about static if you have a plastic entension and your vaccume has a hose, hopefully someone gets that. i vaccume my pc's out every 6-12 months or so.

You guys must smoke and have pets, and don't vacuum your rooms. I haven't a spec of dust anywhere.

A lot of tech books still advise not to use vacuums when cleaning parts either... that computerhome site probably didn't do their homework. I rather not take the risk myself and prefer canned air... besides, I do it outside and its fun to see that giant cloud of dead skin & other particles recycle back into mother.... mother earth. w00t!

noobtech said:
A lot of tech books still advise not to use vacuums when cleaning parts either... that computerhome site probably didn't do their homework. I rather not take the risk myself and prefer canned air... besides, I do it outside and its fun to see that giant cloud of dead skin & other particles recycle back into mother.... mother earth. w00t!

if thats what floats your boat go for it.

The vacuum will of course generate static since it's got brushes running across the carpet really quickly. But the static conducting though a plastic hose (not to mention that vacuums nowadays are almost completely made of plastic) is an entirely different thing.

I'd put the HS in the dishwasher, and burn the fan *shudders*. Put on a mask and get out some canned air! OP, where's your computer situated at? The middle of the Nevadain Desert? :rolleyes:

boredguyatcomp said:
i have a feeling i should get that. please explain its confuseing me...ahhhhhh.

It's from Stephen Kings, "It"... That's what penny wise says about the baloons in the sewer. LoL

take a lighter and burn the shit off of it or it wont be clensed of the evil dust spirts

Make sure your getting more air exhausted from the case then you are intaking. That would be my suggestion, my dad's computer did the same damn thing until I flipped-a-bitch with his side mount 120mm and had it exhaust instead of intake.

I thought about just blowing it out but I decided that it was just to much dust.
Part of it was 1cm high!!!!

I got a small plastic vacuum and used it It worked very well.

no static electricity or anything
everything is working well now

I just live in a normal house in San Diego during the weekends and up in LA in a Dorm during the week

I have had that computer for 3 years and never checked before

wee96 said:
Home vaccum cleaners can cause static electricity, thats what hes talking about. Oh and holy CRAP howd you let your rig get so freak nasty? *shiver*

[H]Opterown said:
I will laugh at you when you kill your computer with static electricty.

"Users can use a vacuum to suck up dirt, dust, or hair around their computer on the outside case and on their keyboards. However, do not use a vacuum for the inside of your computer as it generates a lot of static electricity that can damage the internal components of your computer. If you need to use a vacuum to clean the inside of your computer, use a portable battery powered vacuum designed to do this job."

Taken from: http://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm

I said SHOP VAC... like the 1HP 1L version I bought from Lowe's for $14.95.

Explain to me how that generates static electricity, particularly since it's grounded thru the wall socket and uses small plastic adapters on the hose.

jcll2002 said:

:rolleyes:

Stinkfist said:
Make sure your getting more air exhausted from the case then you are intaking. That would be my suggestion, my dad's computer did the same damn thing until I flipped-a-bitch with his side mount 120mm and had it exhaust instead of intake.

That's exactly backwards. If your FILTERED air flow IN is greater than your exhaust OUT, then you end up with a slightly pressurized case which should keep dust from being sucked in through every nook and cranny—as it would if the reverse were true.

Was the side mount fan on your dad's case filtered? I'm betting it was not.

Back