Longevity of system

Graphxproblems

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 10, 2008
Messages
65
I just bought a 512MB HD 4870 to replace the 2 X1950 XTX's I had in crossfire. Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo OCed to 3.22 GHz
Intel D975XBX mobo
Radeon HD 4870 512MB
3 GB RAM

Do you guys think this system will be good for the next year or two in terms of running the next generation of games? Thanks.
 
for the next year ya, the next 2 prolly not the latest games at the highest settings
 
Depends on your screen resolution.

I know my 1600x900 will tide a 9800GX2 with a C2D @ 3.0GHz for a long time. (not that I game much)
 
Considering a lot of games are console ports it may last until the next gen consoles come out! Of course in all seriousness (although the above is still a factor) the resolution you play at and your willingness to decrease AA/AF and in game settings will also determine how long you're able to keep using the HD4870. I don't keep up with upcoming games so I don't really know if we have any system killers coming out next year.
 
It might be playable, but not the "60FPS 1080P maxAA stuff." that people love to hype.

The 4870, however, will be a decently performing card for a while.

The nice 3.2GHz OC you have on your C2D system is just spot-on perfect for a C2D system.
 
It might be playable, but not the "60FPS 1080P maxAA stuff." that people love to hype.

The 4870, however, will be a decently performing card for a while.

The nice 3.2GHz OC you have on your C2D system is just spot-on perfect for a C2D system.

I never check exact frame-rate, but based on my experience it seems that 20 fps or higher simulates normal motion, so that's all I'm looking for.
 
A single 4870 512Mb is teetering on the edge of playable for 1920x1080 with max settings, as long as the multiplatform consolized games like MW2 are rolling out you'll be fine, but you'll start to see some future games you can't play at max settings.
 
A single 4870 512Mb is teetering on the edge of playable for 1920x1080 with max settings, as long as the multiplatform consolized games like MW2 are rolling out you'll be fine, but you'll start to see some future games you can't play at max settings.

Yeah, I think so too. I will most likely change the monitor when that starts to be a problem. Based on the reviews of the card, though, it seems like it can run modern games pretty well at max settings.
 
Depends on your expectations. If you can live with medium quality graphics it might last you 3 years...
 
Back
Top