Long time Android user to iPhone.

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Morning. This week I made the jump from Android to iPhone. Let me say I had the first iPhone, none since, and was Android all the way since.
After being fed up with the fingerprint reader in the Pixel 6 Pro and just other little things I decided to jump back in the ios pool.

I grabbed an iPhone 13 pro max, green. No complaints. At all. Great premium feel to it, though much heavier. Screen is sweet, scrolling is butter. Texting for me is night and day. I cant explain but having fat thumbs was a constant hit or miss for me. I can text way faster and make less mistakes on the 13.

All my Google apps are available.

I thought the whole 'customize' the Android screen would be missed, but not yet. There's a YouTube guy that customizes his screen and it's amazing but dont even know if I'll go that route. Finally being able to alphabetize the icons on the 13 is wonderful. No more scrolling from page to page to find something. I'm not saying this applying to Android since we know you can do that.

I like the 'stack' feature and do use it. Also the 'focus' idea is great and I have that set up to use everyday.

Havent had a real good sit down with it yet but so far I'm VERY happy with my switch.

I got an iPhone 13 last time, but returned it in favor of a Pixel 6. I can confirm that I could type faster on the iPhone. Don't know what it is, but something there is better.

I got an iPhone 13 last time, but returned it in favor of a Pixel 6. I can confirm that I could type faster on the iPhone. Don't know what it is, but something there is better.
I know right? Odd.

Depending on where things go with Google's folding phone, I might go back too. I mainly left because I hated managing my files and syncing things with iTunes. At this point there are other apps that can do it instead. Plus, it's not like I'm copying files to and from my phone as much as I used to anyway. With Android, I feel like I can never win. You're always battling the hardware or the software depending on which OEM you go with. Touch sensitivity has gotten way better, but it's never been as good as on the Apple front.

You mentioned Google apps being available. Do you find that you need them or are Apple's working well enough? From memory, you could integrate Gmail, calendar, contacts, etc. with Apple's baked in apps,

Depending on where things go with Google's folding phone, I might go back too. I mainly left because I hated managing my files and syncing things with iTunes. At this point there are other apps that can do it instead. Plus, it's not like I'm copying files to and from my phone as much as I used to anyway. With Android, I feel like I can never win. You're always battling the hardware or the software depending on which OEM you go with. Touch sensitivity has gotten way better, but it's never been as good as on the Apple front.

You mentioned Google apps being available. Do you find that you need them or are Apple's working well enough? From memory, you could integrate Gmail, calendar, contacts, etc. with Apple's baked in apps,
Right now I'm using....Google, Gmail, Google Photos, Google Calendar, Drive, Chrome, Home. I know right? Why use an iphone! I'm invested in some of these so for right now its fine.

I plan on getting the 14 Pro (maybe Pro Max) after being with Android since 2015. I'm not unhappy with my Pixel 6, I just switch back and forth between iOS and Android every few years.

I just had a situation where my old v30 smoked the camera on an iPhone 17 or whatever newest is, side by side. Sure it's niche (illuminated point sources) but still something where a 4 year old phone shouldn't win.
Why? For the simple reason you cannot adjust the camera settings. I thought the camera was one of the high points for apple?

Anyway enjoy and I hope you don't run into bs like that.

I understand what you are saying but since the beginning of the Pandemic I basically stopped all social media so the camera has fallen to second place for me.

I just had a situation where my old v30 smoked the camera on an iPhone 17 or whatever newest is, side by side. Sure it's niche (illuminated point sources) but still something where a 4 year old phone shouldn't win.
Why? For the simple reason you cannot adjust the camera settings. I thought the camera was one of the high points for apple?

Has there been a smartphone camera better than the Nokia Lumia 1020 that came out in 2013? Sure, it's super niche but still something where a 9 years old phone shouldn't win. And I thought camera is one of the high points for Google/LG/Samsung/Apple?

Anyways enjoy and I hope you get the sarcasm

Has there been a smartphone camera better than the Nokia Lumia 1020 that came out in 2013? Sure, it's super niche but still something where a 9 years old phone shouldn't win. And I thought camera is one of the high points for Google/LG/Samsung/Apple?

Anyways enjoy and I hope you get the sarcasm
Thank you for not /s to show something is sarcasm. I cant stand that.

Android's UI has regressed with the past few major releases IMO. I would be take tempted to switch to iPhone too if I didn't vehemently hate Apple's constant anti-consumer/repair practices (and no, their just-launched repair program doesn't help much).

I know they make good products, they wouldn't be so ubiquitous (esp in the phone market) if they didn't. But I just can't get past their overall shitty practices and pretentious aura. Petty, I know. 😑

Last edited:

Have you looked at third-party apps like Camera+ 2? Apple does give camera app developers the option of more control that it offers in the default app. Think it's an attempt to keep the experience relatively simple for everyday users without denying options for pros.

As it is, I know I'd much rather have my iPhone 13 Pro in most situations than a V30.

Have you looked at third-party apps like Camera+ 2? Apple does give camera app developers the option of more control that it offers in the default app. Think it's an attempt to keep the experience relatively simple for everyday users without denying options for pros.

As it is, I know I'd much rather have my iPhone 13 Pro in most situations than a V30.
I love my V60 and it has a very good camera, but it's noticeably inferior compared to the last few late generation iphones some friends have. I do wish it "just worked" like iphones seem to, it drops calls once in a while and apps do crash on occasion. You'd have to pry the wired DAC/Amp away from me, though!

As the cameras for all phones have "improved," I've noticed that it takes more and more work to get simple shots to work. Especially anything close. iPhones are the only phones I've seen where people can take a shot of something up-close and text is readable and details are sharp. No swapping lenses or effort needed. The Pixels used to be like that, but not anymore. Everything has that faded effect outside of the very center.

As the cameras for all phones have "improved," I've noticed that it takes more and more work to get simple shots to work. Especially anything close. iPhones are the only phones I've seen where people can take a shot of something up-close and text is readable and details are sharp. No swapping lenses or effort needed. The Pixels used to be like that, but not anymore. Everything has that faded effect outside of the very center.
I've had some good close-up shots with my Pixel 6 'sidearm' phone, but it is true that you have to be more careful with it than an iPhone. One thing that can help is using portrait mode, as that'll help you get a tightly cropped image without having to get as physically close as you normally would.

This is part of why my main phone is an iPhone 13 Pro instead of a regular iPhone 13. While most close-ups should still turn out well with the regular 13, I like that the Pro can automatically switch to a macro mode if you're too close for the main lens. And the telephoto lens can help with other close-ups.

I haven’t used the Pixel 6 Pro but I have been an iPhone user for the past five years and I’ve got to say, no matter how much people may criticise Apple, it has its own perks. Hope you enjoy your new cell phone.

Hope you are enjoy your new phone. Don't forget to move your icons into positions that best suit you... :D

I already switched to iPhone a few years ago. But I didn't switch directly from Android to iPhone, but from Android to WindowsPhone (which I liked) and only then to iPhone. I am still satisfied and have no reason to think about a new switch at the moment.

Back