Lone Industries L2: Dual slot version of L1 anyone?

I was considering the Noctua cooler for a awhile, good to see it works well in there even in the orientation they discourage. It's one of the only coolers that would work in the optimal orientation with my mobo though it would stick out over the VRM board a bit so I wasn't sure about fan interaction wouldn't be a problem now.

How's that fan held on?

using 3M VHB tape...without the primer. Adding primer would make it impossible to take off :)

Will the Scythe Shuriken Big 2 Rev.B fit within the case? I see a lot of love for the Noctua NH-L12 here, but as the Scythe seems to cool just as well and is 25% cheaper..?

Will the Scythe Shuriken Big 2 Rev.B fit within the case? I see a lot of love for the Noctua NH-L12 here, but as the Scythe seems to cool just as well and is 25% cheaper..?
Yes it will. It was my first choice...but back ordered for 2 weeks

Is there enough space between the chassis flanges for a 200mm fan on the L1? I kind of want to get an L1, and just murder a side panel to turn it into a 200mm side intake.

It looks like you'd need to move the DIN and power switch cutouts to the space above the I/O (obviously won't need to use 80mm top fans). You'd also have to relocate the SSD bracket to the opposite side of the case. What do you guys think?

Is there enough space between the chassis flanges for a 200mm fan on the L1? I kind of want to get an L1, and just murder a side panel to turn it into a 200mm side intake.

It looks like you'd need to move the DIN and power switch cutouts to the space above the I/O (obviously won't need to use 80mm top fans). You'd also have to relocate the SSD bracket to the opposite side of the case. What do you guys think?

You're looking at ~195mm(slightly less) between the flanges, probably would need to shave the fan's exterior down a bit. You'd need to probably mount any drives directly to the front wall flange, as the drive mount would interfere.

Yeah, i noticed Lone has put the L2 on his site again, do you think that means he's going to do another run then?

I have (just) enough interest based on my waiting list to do another run of the L2. I'd need to start accepting pre-orders to be sure though. Things are delayed because of: 1. time/summer, 2. I need to decide on colors and finishing method (don't want to take pre-orders without knowing which colors to offer), 3. was hoping for more feedback (guess not everyone uses the forums!).

I have (just) enough interest based on my waiting list to do another run of the L2. I'd need to start accepting pre-orders to be sure though. Things are delayed because of: 1. time/summer, 2. I need to decide on colors and finishing method (don't want to take pre-orders without knowing which colors to offer), 3. was hoping for more feedback (guess not everyone uses the forums!).

Are we allowed to change our color preference on the waiting list? I picked white but now I kinda want black...

On a side note is there enough space under the motherboard to use a 24 pin extension and keep at least a bit of a picopsu hidden?

Are we allowed to change our color preference on the waiting list? I picked white but now I kinda want black...

Absolutely. The color selection on the waiting list is just to help me get an idea what colors people are interested in.

On a side note is there enough space under the motherboard to use a 24 pin extension and keep at least a bit of a picopsu hidden?

No, there's probably not enough clearance for that. You don't really notice the PicoPSU too much when it's plugged into the motherboard. That said it would be cool if the PicoPSU was a little more stylish. I think the green PCB and yellow ATX connector are supposed to make you feel like the PicoPSU is eco-friendly or something. :)

You're looking at ~195mm(slightly less) between the flanges, probably would need to shave the fan's exterior down a bit. You'd need to probably mount any drives directly to the front wall flange, as the drive mount would interfere.

Hmm. Thanks for checking that out! I wonder if it'd be possible to offset the fan position by using two of the flanges (top and back, maybe) as mounting positions for the fan, and drilling extra holes in the flange. I might pick up an L1 just to try this... I love the Spectre Pro!

Ok, so the picopsu doesn't fit... Does anyone know the exact distance between the back of the motherboard and the side panel? Just planning out cable management.

Hmm. Thanks for checking that out! I wonder if it'd be possible to offset the fan position by using two of the flanges (top and back, maybe) as mounting positions for the fan, and drilling extra holes in the flange. I might pick up an L1 just to try this... I love the Spectre Pro!

Maybe use the 230mm version?

The feedback I have is make the back dc-dc jack point accept 20mm c to c for hd-plex users. And have the ability to mount fans to the vented side panel.

The flanges appear to be wide enough, and are quite strong. You could possibly countersink the holes, and use long flat head M3 screws, similar to what's done at the front of the case for the drives. Kinda crazy idea, but might work. :)

Ok, so the picopsu doesn't fit... Does anyone know the exact distance between the back of the motherboard and the side panel? Just planning out cable management.

9.5 mm.

The feedback I have is make the back dc-dc jack point accept 20mm c to c for hd-plex users. And have the ability to mount fans to the vented side panel.

Thank you! The 20 mm center to center hole is done.

Last edited:

not sure about side-panel fan mounts (screwheads outside case would detract from the minimalist design. so unless internal mounting (from the flanges?) is the go im against that.

i was really happy with my L2, very little to complain about tbh. i know its a nitpick but maybe the next one could ship with some LP PCIE slot covers for those without 2 slot GPU plates.

what height mobo standoffs come in the L2 - an idea that might work would be to have slightly higher standoffs to allow SSD mounting below the motherboard (would require some additional backplating to be done of course...

just ideas...if no one asked questions we wouldnt have the L1/L2 at all :)

what height mobo standoffs come in the L2 - an idea that might work would be to have slightly higher standoffs to allow SSD mounting below the motherboard (would require some additional backplating to be done of course...

I know this is sacrilege... but if the SSDs would be cool enough in this location (and the back of the motherboard) I wouldn't mind another 0.5cm added to the width of the case to make it happen. I've been playing with cardboard mockups and really I can't tell the difference between a 10cm and a 12cm wide case - though admittedly this has so far been with larger width/height than the L2 has.

I must make a cardboard L2 :p

Hopefully no feedback means the cases are working well for people :) It would be nice to compile a Google spreadsheet of everyone's build listing which components they used and their build notes etc - are you able to email current owners asking them to enter this into a form? I'm happy to set up the spreadsheet & form if you'd like.

Give me another month and I'll be able to give you a pre-order or not - my desired build won't fit inside a 160W PicoPSU 12V rail envelope (Asus Z97I, 16G 1.35V RAM, i5 4590, fans, SSD, low profile GTX 750 Ti) so I'm a bit stuck unless I can live without the graphics card.

[I looked at the 'S' chips e.g. the i5 4690S but I think they have the same current draw under load - it's only that thermally they shut down before getting too warm]

Gunmetal grey is my preferred colour (like these speakers or fast car parts). Black's just a bit too dark to sit on my desk; white gets dirty too easily. Others I like are red, or more fancifully an accent of steampunk brass/gunmetal :)

Which ventilated side panels were made in the end? These are the ones I liked, the ones with smaller holes and wider spacing I thought really ugly.

Was there venting on the back panel too, or did that get dropped?

I'm enthused by what you're doing and just a little envious of you having the skills to do this and making it a reality! I don't know if you want to do larger production runs of cases as soldering the switches seemed to take long enough last time (or how much the production costs would come down with volume) -- but if you are, I'm very happy to volunteer my day job skills in marketing to help the project along and increase its exposure.

not sure about side-panel fan mounts (screwheads outside case would detract from the minimalist design. so unless internal mounting (from the flanges?) is the go im against that.

I was more thinking more silicone fan mounts (as used in the top) but your idea works as well!

And if one doesn't use a fan, then there are no issues with screwheads...

Hopefully no feedback means the cases are working well for people :) It would be nice to compile a Google spreadsheet of everyone's build listing which components they used and their build notes etc - are you able to email current owners asking them to enter this into a form? I'm happy to set up the spreadsheet & form if you'd like.

Give me another month and I'll be able to give you a pre-order or not - my desired build won't fit inside a 160W PicoPSU 12V rail envelope (Asus Z97I, 16G 1.35V RAM, i5 4590, fans, SSD, low profile GTX 750 Ti) so I'm a bit stuck unless I can live without the graphics card.

[I looked at the 'S' chips e.g. the i5 4690S but I think they have the same current draw under load - it's only that thermally they shut down before getting too warm]

Gunmetal grey is my preferred colour (like these speakers or fast car parts). Black's just a bit too dark to sit on my desk; white gets dirty too easily. Others I like are red, or more fancifully an accent of steampunk brass/gunmetal :)

Which ventilated side panels were made in the end? These are the ones I liked, the ones with smaller holes and wider spacing I thought really ugly.

Was there venting on the back panel too, or did that get dropped?

I'm enthused by what you're doing and just a little envious of you having the skills to do this and making it a reality! I don't know if you want to do larger production runs of cases as soldering the switches seemed to take long enough last time (or how much the production costs would come down with volume) -- but if you are, I'm very happy to volunteer my day job skills in marketing to help the project along and increase its exposure.

Hey, thank you for your comments. I may be able to send out a survey to existing L2 owners. The vented side panel on the last run is the smaller/wider spaced one. I'd like to try something different the next time around. It was a little too late to add the back vents that were mentioned. I appreciate your offer to help. If you'd like to discuss marketing feel free to email me.

Hey, thank you for your comments. I may be able to send out a survey to existing L2 owners. The vented side panel on the last run is the smaller/wider spaced one. I'd like to try something different the next time around. It was a little too late to add the back vents that were mentioned. I appreciate your offer to help. If you'd like to discuss marketing feel free to email me.

ill happily take part in any survey - thats a pretty good way to do it really.

i was really happy with my L2, very little to complain about tbh. i know its a nitpick but maybe the next one could ship with some LP PCIE slot covers for those without 2 slot GPU plates.

just ideas...if no one asked questions we wouldnt have the L1/L2 at all :)

The vented side panel is a pain. So many different ways to do it. :)

I'll have to look into the cost of including expansion slot covers. I need to buy them pre-made, or produce them myself, and then have them powder coated.

I've looked at SSD's under the motherboard a number of times. I like the idea in theory, but it has issues. Even though the standoffs are 9.5 mm tall, there's not really room under there right now for anything else except backing plates and some wiring. I'd need to add 7.5 mm taller standoffs to make it truly usable space for 7.5 mm thick drives. Increasing the standoff height without increasing case width moves the motherboard further toward the center of the case fans, and decreases CPU clearance. Then there's the issue of mounting. If I make room for drives under the motherboard, then I also need to provide a mounting solution besides double sided tape. :)

ill happily take part in any survey - thats a pretty good way to do it really.

I'll see if I can come up with something. If there's any questions people think would be good, feel free to let me know.

The vented side panel is a pain. So many different ways to do it. :)

I'll have to look into the cost of including expansion slot covers. I need to buy them pre-made, or produce them myself, and then have them powder coated.

I've looked at SSD's under the motherboard a number of times. I like the idea in theory, but it has issues. Even though the standoffs are 9.5 mm tall, there's not really room under there right now for anything else except backing plates and some wiring. I'd need to add 7.5 mm taller standoffs to make it truly usable space for 7.5 mm thick drives. Increasing the standoff height without increasing case width moves the motherboard further toward the center of the case fans, and decreases CPU clearance. Then there's the issue of mounting. If I make room for drives under the motherboard, then I also need to provide a mounting solution besides double sided tape. :)

I'll see if I can come up with something. If there's any questions people think would be good, feel free to let me know.

yeh i understand - it would mean a significant redesign to the case (almost 10mm taller) to manage the underboard SSD mounts. tbh the easiest mounting solution would be 2x screw holes in the bottom flange on each side to mount the SSD's longways along the side of the flange. screw in from the bottom side up. not sure how people feel about only 2x screw points on SSD's, but given they are rock solid they can actually just float in most cases if they dont get moved too much.

haha yeh the side panel fan idea is a tricky one - for me its not much of an issue as my CPU cooler and fan sit high enough (and are big enough) that i have really strong draw through the side vents.

well i spose theres always the L3 to think about ;)

what kind of psu did you guys get for L1

thinking about building pfsense router using this case

pico or hdplex?

Last edited:
Either is good, have used both styles, more of a matter of picking your 12v vs 19v brick. Though he plex might be easier if your atx is on the case top side, but its still not a huge issue, look thru the L1 and L2 threads

Finally got the Kill A Watt on the rig, here's idle and Prime95+Kombustor assuming an 80% overall efficiency(doubt it's that high) for the sake of argument and nice round numbers makes about 132W to the mobo peak power;
Thanks Stevo_, it's really interesting to have someone's figures. I am wondering how safe that is (not that any of us tax our computers that hard in real life) as 132W would be ~11 Amps on the 12V rail, and the HDPlex is only rated for 9A with a peak of 12A.

Would you mind repeating your testing running HWiNFO in sensor mode, and see what the power figures are for the CPU ("CPU Package Power") and the GPU (unknown) please? It would be very interesting to know what's reported internally.

Thanks Stevo_, it's really interesting to have someone's figures. I am wondering how safe that is (not that any of us tax our computers that hard in real life) as 132W would be ~11 Amps on the 12V rail, and the HDPlex is only rated for 9A with a peak of 12A.

Would you mind repeating your testing running HWiNFO in sensor mode, and see what the power figures are for the CPU ("CPU Package Power") and the GPU (unknown) please? It would be very interesting to know what's reported internally.

Posted a pic a few pages ago you can see both, CPU package power 68W and GPU limits at 60W normally running high 90% of TDP(shows percentage in HWINFO), pretty unrealistic but I ran it for an hour, twice. Under more realistic gaming loads(as much as you can do with this card) I don't think you'd be pushing it at all on current.

Stevo_ (and others): what have you found the best source of power adapters for use with the HD-PLEX et al? I've been looking on eBay and surprised by how expensive the Dell adapter is. I'm pretty sure 330W is overkill for me (esp if output power, not input) so I can look at smaller ones - but am finding it surprisingly difficult to track down a source.

Stevo_ (and others): what have you found the best source of power adapters for use with the HD-PLEX et al? I've been looking on eBay and surprised by how expensive the Dell adapter is. I'm pretty sure 330W is overkill for me (esp if output power, not input) so I can look at smaller ones - but am finding it surprisingly difficult to track down a source.

I don't remember if I got the brick off ebay or not it may have been some laptop supply place. I do remember having issues with first order unable to deliver but filed a Paypal dispute and was reimbursed immediately. Paid $80 USD but who knows probably a clone as it has Dell printed and not their logo, no issues so far absolutely silent and runs cool, made by Delta.

I think the 240W are up to that price now.

EDIT: Damn, just searched around $130-160 and one over $200(330W)

Last edited:
I bought an HP 230W power supply for the HD-plex 160W..it was $50 inc shipping, however, if I was to do it again I'd get the Dell Slim power adapter (240W) as it's MUCH smaller than the one I have (which is a giant brick)

I bought this one for 42 pounds, but I'm from Europe. Not sure what the options are in the US, but I would always think US people got their stuff cheaper?
I'm in the UK so European prices being cheaper (for once) is good!

I'm in the UK so European prices being cheaper (for once) is good!

Looks at least parity pricing, 42 pounds ~ $70, the 240W can easily be had for that with shipping in the US, the 330W has gone thru the roof. I think the cheapest I saw the 330W for yesterday was $120, got mine for $80 shipped which was a common price at the time. Maybe the demand from uSFF builders is having some effect.

If I get this Dell adapter, can I connect it to the Picopsu?

I was suspecting not, because I would need this, right?

12V_16A_192W_AC_DC_Power_Adapter_for_picoPSU-150_160_Detail_product.jpg

So for the picopsu i would be better off with this adapter, yes?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If I get this Dell adapter, can I connect it to the Picopsu?

I was suspecting not, because I would need this, right?

12V_16A_192W_AC_DC_Power_Adapter_for_picoPSU-150_160_Detail_product.jpg

So for the picopsu i would be better off with this adapter, yes?

Correct. Not because of the connector (the PicoPSU-160-XT includes both styles), but because the PicoPSU you'd want to use only accepts 12V input.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Damn, I heard that the 192w adapter is pretty bulky. Oh well. :p

60W AC-DC adapter next to 192W AC-DC adapter:

https://flic.kr/p/nE2nsk

192W adapter dimensions: 183 x 81 x 42 mm

Not sure if it'll work for you, but there's also this one (150W/160W peak):

150W adapter dimensions: 171 x 71 x 40 mm

Anyone have the Dell PA-9E (or other) adapter dimensions?

Back