Lone Industries L2: Dual slot version of L1 anyone?

@ellroy80, If by "going" you mean removed, then most likely no. It's pretty hard to make that kind of change after everyone's already ordered, and the L2 is sent to production. However, that's not to say I couldn't do it if everyone who's already ordered wants it a little shorter by removing the 80 mm case fans. I could cancel or put it on hold, but my thoughts are to just add a few vented side panels for those who want to try that.

I was trying to see if an AXP-100 was available in Aus and it sadly is not. Looks like the Scythe Big Shruken rev b for me..but newegg just started shipping to aus...soooooo it'll be one of those two.

I think a *small* vent near the bottom (but above the GPU) would be best for theoretical air motion with the case fans at the top.

I agree that too many vents will have issues with air flow in the case.

Will the Big Shuriken block your expansion slot? I have a Big Shuriken 2 Rev B, but it blocks the expansion slot. Want a used one?! I still have the box and all the parts. :)

These smaller rectangle side vents I've been showing are positioned right above the GPU. They may be larger than what you're thinking of though. They're 160 mm wide, which extends slightly beyond the motherboard (since it's centered on the side panel).

I think the strip of perforation is not really ideal, as it's too low to do the GPU any good and cool air will be mixing with runoff warm air from the GPU before getting over to the CPU. From the GPU, most of the air will likely take the path of least resistance up the front of the case as the GPU will be effectively blocking most of the bottom vent..

Measured the perforated area of my ghetto cover, roughly 100x115mm so I taped that down to 92mm square. Even that raised the CPU/mobo differential ~2C, though the CPU dropped 3C and mobo dropped 1C, normally the mobo raises 1C with the ghetto cover with larger area while CPU drops more.

I think the strip of perforation is not really ideal, as it's too low to do the GPU any good and cool air will be mixing with runoff warm air from the GPU before getting over to the CPU. From the GPU, most of the air will likely take the path of least resistance up the front of the case as the GPU will be effectively blocking most of the bottom vent..

Measured the perforated area of my ghetto cover, roughly 100x115mm so I taped that down to 92mm square. Even that raised the CPU/mobo differential ~2C, though the CPU dropped 3C and mobo dropped 1C, normally the mobo raises 1C with the ghetto cover with larger area while CPU drops more.

Not sure I follow. The GPU gets it's air from the bottom vent. The side panel vent is for the CPU.

Have to remember that your ghetto cover holes do not provide nearly the free air ratio that my vent does (ie. your holes are much smaller and more restrictive than mine). My 52x160 mm vent cut outs are 1 x .25 inch. Two per column, with 17 columns. That gives a area of 5483.86 square mm, or a 120 x 45.7 mm hole in your side panel.

I'll have to get some straight on side shots. But the rectangle strip covers nearly half the motherboard. The smaller option I posted, not so much.

Last edited:
Just for comparison: 120 x 120 mm vent, brick style. I'd be really worried about warping with this one.

Note, on all of these the panel can be rotated 180 degrees to move the vent up or down.

Not sure I follow. The GPU gets it's air from the bottom vent. The side panel vent is for the CPU.

Have to remember that your ghetto cover holes do not provide nearly the free air ratio that my vent does (ie. your holes are much smaller and more restrictive than mine). My 52x160 mm vent cut outs are 1 x .25 inch. Two per column, with 17 columns. That gives a area of 5483.86 square mm, or a 120 x 45.7 mm hole in your side panel.

I'll have to get some straight on side shots. But the rectangle strip covers nearly half the motherboard. The smaller option I posted, not so much.

My point was that from the render it looks like the strip extends from roughly the pcie slot up, which would appear to only cover a portion of most HSFs locations (probably could use a head-on render). I was thinking being that wide might rob some air from the CPU, it'll just get sucked up and out the front side and yet also low enough to mix from expelled/sucked GPU air. Hard to predict air resistance paths though(anybody have the Solidworks flow simulator ;) ).

I realize my perforation is probably only 1/2 as open as yours, that's why I'm thinking 92mm square above mobo is really enough now, even with my limited "openness" temps still dropped quite a bit.

At this point I'm just inclined to get the solid cover and if I think I may need it in the future just cut a hole and use a fan grille with a filter.

My point was that from the render it looks like the strip extends from roughly the pcie slot up, which would appear to only cover a portion of most HSFs locations (probably could use a head-on render). I was thinking being that wide might rob some air from the CPU, it'll just get sucked up and out the front side and yet also low enough to mix from expelled/sucked GPU air. Hard to predict air resistance paths though(anybody have the Solidworks flow simulator ;) ).

I realize my perforation is probably only 1/2 as open as yours, that's why I'm thinking 92mm square above mobo is really enough now, even with my limited "openness" temps still dropped quite a bit.

At this point I'm just inclined to get the solid cover and if I think I may need it in the future just cut a hole and use a fan grille with a filter.

Thanks for clarifying for me. I see what you're saying. It's only bypassing the bottom vent a short distance, and then may not be directly over your CPU at all depending on the motherboard, in which case what are we gaining? Like you say, centred over the motherboard is the only way to ensure it's over the CPU at all. I guess the reason I put it at the bottom was the thought that air would be pulled in, and across all CPU locations by the case fans. I did test a narrow slot cutout, but my cooler was right under it, so it's not accurate for those with CPU's located near the top of the board.

EDIT: It could be rotated 180 degrees to locate it over your CPU if it's on the other side of the motherboard.

Last edited:
Will the Big Shuriken block your expansion slot? I have a Big Shuriken 2 Rev B, but it blocks the expansion slot. Want a used one?! I still have the box and all the parts. :)

These smaller rectangle side vents I've been showing are positioned right above the GPU. They may be larger than what you're thinking of though. They're 160 mm wide, which extends slightly beyond the motherboard (since it's centered on the side panel).

Because I'll be going with a H87/Z87 mobo from Asrock or Asus (which has the altered CPU socket placement) I think it should work. And yes I'd be interested in a used one :)

The smaller vent that you showed is fine as well. Although for some cases it's important to have a CPU vent, I think it's not necessary as long as you have a well thought out intake and exhaust vents that that allow airflow across the HSF.

Re-trimmed as much as possible given the medium to match the grill pattern on my L1 and taped off to match a 92mm fan outline, results were an additional 1-2C drop in temps 3-4C differential( the only standard I can use given the differing ambient ~20C right now). and standard test load. Definitely don't need a 120mm square hole(mine is probably too far towards the IO). YMMV.

WP_20140410_002_zpse918b603.jpg

@ellroy80, If by "going" you mean removed, then most likely no. It's pretty hard to make that kind of change after everyone's already ordered, and the L2 is sent to production. However, that's not to say I couldn't do it if everyone who's already ordered wants it a little shorter by removing the 80 mm case fans. I could cancel or put it on hold, but my thoughts are to just add a few vented side panels for those who want to try that.

Yeah by going I meant removed. But I agree with what you are doing - leave it as it, and have the vented side panel as an option.

As far as the venting options go, I like the one with the holes. However, given this is likely not an option, I think the 52mm strip looks good.

That's about the same width and length of the top and bottom vents, correct? I think that is just about right, aesthetically. Functionality wise, its good, allows for users to cater to direct airflow path to cpu cooler or with the vents oriented a little lower(prior to 180 degree rotation) would allow air to travel past some components and finally out the top via exhaust.

If people feel that it's not worth it for the extra money, I could also add vents to the back of the case above the IO shield. This *might* help bring more direct air to the CPU.

lone, could you sketch this up if you have time? When you first wrote this I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about. However, I saw it on a case today at work and thought of the L2 straight away. It might negate, at least to a certain degree, the need for a vented side panel. The only downside, compared to the vented side panel, might be cooling of other components on the mobo. However, I suspect they'll be fine if people use larger coolers with 120/140 mm fans.

That's about the same width and length of the top and bottom vents, correct? I think that is just about right, aesthetically. Functionality wise, its good, allows for users to cater to direct airflow path to cpu cooler or with the vents oriented a little lower(prior to 180 degree rotation) would allow air to travel past some components and finally out the top via exhaust.

Not quite as wide. Same as the one I showed previously. Haven't tried the wider one yet.

lone, could you sketch this up if you have time? When you first wrote this I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about. However, I saw it on a case today at work and thought of the L2 straight away. It might negate, at least to a certain degree, the need for a vented side panel. The only downside, compared to the vented side panel, might be cooling of other components on the mobo. However, I suspect they'll be fine if people use larger coolers with 120/140 mm fans.

Here's a quick example. My original L1 prototype actually had vents on the back. It's been quite awhile since I did those first tests, so I may have to test this out again (drill holes in a spare part).

https://flic.kr/p/n1wGkL

Would a more expensive(thicker) side panel allow larger slots on the side panel?

How much more would the IO cut outs be?

I really like the vents at the back of the case. Two things:

1. Could you make them a little larger? They seem fairly narrow, potentially restricting airflow.
2. If you decide to put them in, is it worth moving the PSU socket and (what I think is) WiFi antenna holes up, near the power switch? Would this better align the vents with the CPU socket? I'd say most CPU sockets are closer to the bottom of the board these days. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

I like the one that is the best with the back vents.

This one has an area of 711 mm2, which isn't much. 85 mm from top to bottom. See variation below.

Would a more expensive(thicker) side panel allow larger slots on the side panel?

Not sure, I'd have to check with someone who knows a little more about it than myself. I don't think it's an option at this point.

How much more would the IO cut outs be?

Shouldn't cost any more.

I really like the vents at the back of the case. Two things:

1. Could you make them a little larger? They seem fairly narrow, potentially restricting airflow.
2. If you decide to put them in, is it worth moving the PSU socket and (what I think is) WiFi antenna holes up, near the power switch? Would this better align the vents with the CPU socket? I'd say most CPU sockets are closer to the bottom of the board these days. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

1. They may be a little narrow at 2 mm wide. I tried 3.18 mm wide, but didn't like the appearance. Here's a spin on the same width, which is one way to bring the air right to the side panel (952 mm2):

https://flic.kr/p/n2tNR1

2. I'm sure there are exceptions, but from what I've seen of current boards, the socket is in the center, or towards the top. This was probably done in response to everyone complaining about the socket being next to the PCIe slot. :)

@Everyone,
I need to know where everyone's at in terms of a vented side panel. It's looking like I'd need to make at least 10-15 to keep the price around $15-20. This is a little more than I thought, because I forgot to include the cost of powder coating.

Last edited:
1. They may be a little narrow at 2 mm wide. I tried 3.18 mm wide, but didn't like the appearance. Here's a spin on the same width, which is one way to bring the air right to the side panel (952 mm2):

https://flic.kr/p/n2tNR1

2. I'm sure there are exceptions, but from what I've seen of current boards, the socket is in the center, or towards the top. This was probably done in response to everyone complaining about the socket being next to the PCIe slot. :)

@Everyone,
I need to know where everyone's at in terms of a vented side panel. It's looking like I'd need to make at least 10-15 to keep the price around $15-20. This is a little more than I thought, because I forgot to include the cost of powder coating.

Most haswell itx boards (except gigabyte and msi) have their socket placement near the top or the middle.

I may be interested in a vented panel...it depends on which vent style and the price, and if it will offer any real benefits over a vented rear...which if designed right it should, but *how much better* is also the question.

Thanks for the mention uptop J :) though now that you can see the case in its entirety with the venting idea, the venting I've worked out seems bulky(to say the least).

I actually like this more,
13803350444_37746083aa_c.jpg

than the 2nd idea...

regarding the side panel, I'm in!

Thanks for the mention uptop J :) though now that you can see the case in its entirety with the venting idea, the venting I've worked out seems bulky(to say the least).

I actually like this more,
13803350444_37746083aa_c.jpg

than the 2nd idea...

regarding the side panel, I'm in!

I second this design, it's like the strip I liked earlier but with some more height. Simple and hopefully effective.

I'm in for the side panel as well.

Last edited:
The cutouts above the I/O board look great. And I'm with Saint and Luftij about the slightly wider holes for the side panel. I like how the cutouts on the top and bottom look, but for some reason the slightly smaller holes look better on the side panel (and are probably better for the integrity of the panel).

I'm in for one if you decide to make them.

I'm finding that render#1 from the latest ideas are more fitting, aesthetically, but since we also need it to function on a performance level, I think idea#2 would be worth investing in...however the off centered venting is more eye catching.

Brilliant work Lone!
:)

The rear vents look great!! Can you render the latest iterations of the side panels? I prefer the off centered look myself, but that might change once seeing it rendered.

Personally I prefer a shorter vent on the side, but I do like the thinner width of the holes!

How many people would need to be "in" to get the panels made?

Personally I prefer a shorter vent on the side, but I do like the thinner width of the holes!

How many people would need to be "in" to get the panels made?

See
@Everyone,

I'm planning on getting the vented side panels made whether I have enough interest or not at this point. :)

Daemos, can you confirm which ones you're referring to. Thanks.

I'm planning on getting the vented side panels made whether I have enough interest or not at this point. :)

Daemos, can you confirm which ones you're referring to. Thanks.

These two...but with thinner vents as in the newer renders.

One of these two sizes and position...

52 mm height:

42 mm height:

With the width of the vents as seen here:

https://flic.kr/p/n3jYng[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
My order of preference is 1, 3, 2, 4. With 1 and 3, the narrow slots, being much preferred over 2 and 4. But I agree, I think any of them would work ok.

Back