Logon entire computer lab remotely

Terillius

Gawd
I work in a school district and the younger kids have serious issues with remembering their passwords so we have one generic login for everyone under 3rd grade. Is there a way to cause the entire lab to logon with a batch file or something that can be run from the lab manager's machine? I considered auto login, but that would allow everyone access to the machine without credentials, not acceptable.

To simplify, 30 computers have to be logged on everyday in the morning and it is quite a pain for one person to do it sometimes twice a day.

Would something along the line of this software work for ya:

http://www.rebootex.com/

RebootEx is a system utility for Windows NT, W2K, XP operating systems that allows to automatically shutdown, reboot and/or relogon to your computer. The program provides the following key features: ability to reboot, shutdown, shutdown & power off the computer, log off the current user, schedule logon after reboot, shutdown remote computer on your network and schedule a computer auto shutdown at a specific time. A number of additional command line options makes it a highly efficient and secure tool.

Sounds like that will do everything except what I need it to do - log on when the computer is just sitting there.

Someone just told me that what I want to do is impossible simply because to allow it would be a huge security risk or something along those lines.

I run a lab of 24 comps , 12 are win2k , 11 thin-clients and one Fedora Core 4 K12-ltsp of which is a file and printer server for the lab as well ... all of this is behind a smoothwall box with dansguardian with clam av and other mods to keep lab buttoned up or heavily filtered if I allow certain comps out to internet ...

with the smoothwall box governing over entire computer lab network ..security is not an issue and so I have the win2k boxes auto log on and then I have usernames on the monitors of the thin-clients and one password for all the thins that all the kids know.

my setup may or may not be useful/helpful to you ...just thought I'd throw what I have going at yuh..

Terillius said:
Sounds like that will do everything except what I need it to do - log on when the computer is just sitting there.

Someone just told me that what I want to do is impossible simply because to allow it would be a huge security risk or something along those lines.

ummm

Auto shutdown your computer at a specific time daily.
Reboot and power off your computer.
Log off current computer user.
Auto logon current computer user.
Schedule logon after PC reboot.
Remote computer shutdown.
Command line mode - ideal for scripting.
Save money with saving energy.

But anyways, how come you just dont try teaching them how to log on? My 6yr old can log on to a computer. Even if you get 80 percent of them to do it sucessfully, that is less for the you or the teacher to do.

in my scenerio , the win2k boxen and linux server are always on running FAH 24/7

Terillius said:
I work in a school district and the younger kids have serious issues with remembering their passwords so we have one generic login for everyone under 3rd grade.

Yikes...my kindergarden kiddo remembers his password at home, I change it weekly, helps him to learn new words and spelling....he is far ahead of the goobs at school....heheh....

Met-AL said:
ummm
Auto logon current computer user.
Schedule logon after PC reboot.

This works great, even though it requires a reboot to auto logon, but how can I make the entire lab do what I want? Do I have to make a batch file that creates a one time AT task on each computer?

But anyways, how come you just dont try teaching them how to log on? My 6yr old can log on to a computer. Even if you get 80 percent of them to do it sucessfully, that is less for the you or the teacher to do.

The teachers also have trouble. Then there are the kids who don't speak english. It's just hopeless trying to teach conservative country people, period.

I dont have that software, I just know what it says on their webpage. I am assuming that it is something that interacts with Windows Schedular.

Back