LOGMEIN free is terminating 20140128

rhavern

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Apr. 2013/Oct. 2014
For GPU folders, using something not RDP is essential for remote management. For years I've been using logmein as it was good and has a central interface. This morning they have announced a pay only scheme effective today. Confirmed reports are that you have one week's usage grace: "If you do not take action, the Free computers highlighted in your account will become inaccessible on 1/28/2014.". Due to this steaming pile of poor PR, I have no intention of moving to their pay model, as there are other free for personal use choices available, such as teamviewer. I'm sure others are available.

Details here: http://blog.logmein.com/it-management/logmein-changes

I paid for Ignition some time ago, I wont have any changes will I? It's hard to read through all their nonsense.

Yeah, this sucks for me. I'm not going to pay $300 a year.

What other options are there?

1 week warning? How nice....

Guess I'll be checking out teamviewer in the next couple of days...

Ultra vnc?

you can use it, but to access from ouside your local network you'll just have to forward ports on your router, so change the listen port from the default (security risk, but opening ports is always a security risk). and you'll have to know your external IP or use a dynamic dns service.

you can use it, but to access from ouside your local network you'll just have to forward ports on your router, so change the listen port from the default (security risk, but opening ports is always a security risk). and you'll have to know your external IP or use a dynamic dns service.

I've been using Tight VNC. Works well if you don't mind forwarding ports and such.

I have been slowly adding Team Viewer on all of my boxen because of the last time Logmein changed things. Last time they reduced you to just 10 PC's on a free list. You also have a limit on how many PC's you can have on your account with Team Viewer but it is a lot more than 10. Just FYI for those that may have several setups.

VPN on your network endpoint + VNC (TightVNC in particular). It's what I use.

I was going to use TeamViewer and/or LogMeIn, but given that's what most of the scammers and whatnot use to try to hack machines these days, plus the fact that connection data is stored in the cloud, yeah, no. I want NOTHING that potentially points to my machines in terms of connection information stored in some central repository somewhere just begging to be hacked.

I bought Ignition for Android for about $30. Feel sorry for the people that spent $129 for Ignition on IOS. Time to find a new app I suppose. I don't use it frequent enough for a monthly / annual fee.

Could chrome remote desktop work for any of you? it's what I use for my mining rigs... win7 based though, I'm not sure if you can get the same extensions in the linux version or not.

any good alternatives? I tired echovnc but UAC seems to break it (every time you get a UAC notice you are SOL)

I use Team Viewer as an alternative so that I don't have to worry about port forwarding or anything. Pretty simple to use AND you can use their web console from any computer like Logmein does. Granted you lose some of the options like file transfer using their web client, but it still does the important part...

The other huge advantage is that you can have someone run the install file but not do a full install. This allows them to use the software as a one time shot so that you can get in and help them with whatever they need and not worry about you logging in later unannounced...

I use Team Viewer as an alternative so that I don't have to worry about port forwarding or anything.
Teamviewer:
+ no port forwarding to mess with
+ free
+ remote desktop control and file transfers (two-way file transfers if connecting from local console to remote console, haven't tried through the Internet management console)
+ cross platform - Linux to Windows, Windows to Linux (seamless)...don't know about OSX, Android, et cetera
- lag can be pretty bad sometimes when in remote control mode (file transfers are typically fast)
+ can set static IPs for faster access across a LAN (connections are reliable with DHCP or static IPs)
+ reliable

VNC
+ some free
+ typically faster than TeamViewer
- requires configuring ports/forwarding
+ reliable

I've been using TeamViewer for over two years for files transfers and to monitor remote Folding boxes. Apart from the lag, I'm quite pleased with it. I had previously used LogMeIn, but dropped it when added Linux boxes to my inventory.

Total dick move on LogMeIn's part though I think this was the writing on the wall when they restricted free accounts to 10 machines a year ago.

TeamViewer is great but whenever I log in to a guest computer it kills Aero Glass (specifically the 'Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager') and the only way to bring it back is to stop and restart the service (or do net stop uxsms and then net start uxsms).
I don't like the 'thanks for playing fair' popup on disconnection either.

Started using UVNC, pretty happy with it. Router forwarding is fairly easy. I like that it has file transfer, single click, and you can encrypt it with the free SecureVNC plugin...but their website is atrocious. I would go with TightVNC instead but it doesn't have the file transfer or single click.

Teamviewer I believe binds to your mac so if they detect that you are abusing, they man your mac addy. This is what I've heard, no idea on truth.

I have a paid subscription to LMI, I do not see any machines highlighted. LMI has been slowly going down hill over the past few years. I am quite surprised they did not end free sooner, TBH.

Teamviewer I believe binds to your mac so if they detect that you are abusing, they man your mac addy. This is what I've heard, no idea on truth.

I've heard both. I've seen people say they got cut off, and I've seen others say it's no longer capped.

I have no experience on either side - have never been cut off, and cannot find official word that it's unlimited.

Well, I have tapped out my installations for the free account (Team Viewer) and have set up a second because I have quite a few friends and family I help out. I also have a dozen or so BOINC boxes to manage. From my experience, they could determine if I was logging in from work or home (most likely IP address based) because if I took my laptop to my works wifi, they would say they detected corporate use. But from home they never say a thing... My account continues to be free even though I had that message multiple times while at work.

Here is another alternative for these remote services, while this one is also a pay service it is a one time payment and you are done.
You get one year of updates and support when you purchase a license, then do not have to renew unless you need support and or want to get the newest release of the software:

http://simple-help.com/

I've used Crossloop before and liked it though I'm not sure how secure it is as far as encryption. Ultra VNC is free as well, though harder to set up. Crossloop is easy enough to guide family through installing and giving me the access code to connect when they need help.

Guys, I do want to point out that a lot of you are complaining about port forwarding - most routers these days have a VPN server built into them, though how many of us are really using stock firmware anyway? If you're using DDWRT or Tomato or something realistic like that, set up OpenVPN on your router and don't even mess with port forwarding since it will (or at least should) be handled automagically for you. Use whatever VNC you want or whatnot over your secured connection, plus you get access to the rest of your network at the same time over that same secured connection. The BEST part is that you'll be able to open simultaneous (VNC) sessions to multiple machines on your network just like you're on your home LAN rather than trying to forward ports to individual machines in a port forwarding nightmare.

SunnyD, I think that you are missing that a lot of us also like to use the same software to help out on networks outside our control. For this, port forwarding still needs to be done or use a service like LogMeIn or Team Viewer is necessary. I still have routers that aren't supported by DDWRT (haven't looked at Tomato), so that isn't an option for me at least.

Guys, I do want to point out that a lot of you are complaining about port forwarding - most routers these days have a VPN server built into them, though how many of us are really using stock firmware anyway? If you're using DDWRT or Tomato or something realistic like that, set up OpenVPN on your router and don't even mess with port forwarding since it will (or at least should) be handled automagically for you. Use whatever VNC you want or whatnot over your secured connection, plus you get access to the rest of your network at the same time over that same secured connection. The BEST part is that you'll be able to open simultaneous (VNC) sessions to multiple machines on your network just like you're on your home LAN rather than trying to forward ports to individual machines in a port forwarding nightmare.

Yup -- i just bought a TPlink - AC1750 gigabit wireless router, and one of my requirements was built in no-ip.org functionality.

setup a VPN connection on my phone or any modern PC and I can remote into my 3 mining boxes on my home LAN.

SunnyD, I think that you are missing that a lot of us also like to use the same software to help out on networks outside our control. For this, port forwarding still needs to be done or use a service like LogMeIn or Team Viewer is necessary. I still have routers that aren't supported by DDWRT (haven't looked at Tomato), so that isn't an option for me at least.

Valid point, I'll give you that. Though as I said in my previous post, I'm anal enough that I would absolutely NEVER trust my network to any "cloud" based discovery system. That's just scary.

But since we're talking about them, you can add SplashTop to the list. I'm not sure how many PC's it will let you use, but it's "Free for Personal Use."

edit: Nevermind, I forgot it's an additional $1.99/month "subscription" for off-lan (remote) usage now.

Users at Fatwallet are bitching about LMI as well. One poster pointed this out:
Teamviewer is nice, but is free for personal use only. I'm now using it for support work with my family.

If you need something for work though, check out Remote Utilities. Because of this crazy lack of notice from logmein they've started offering a free license for up to 10 machines, personal or business use.

http://www.remoteutilities.com/

thanks for the link.. def gonna check this one out...

“We have taken this step to encourage users of other products to migrate to our solution. In the light of recent changes to the licensing policy of some of well-known remote support solution providers, people are looking for a viable free alternative. And we can provide that alternative - at no cost,” said Marat Magomedov, the CEO of Usoris Systems.

The new free license replaces the license previously offered for free, which was for personal use only.

Thanks for the heads up about this program. I'm trying it out and so far it's pretty cool imo. Lots of features for a free program and the remote full control is smoother than any VNC connection. I was curious about the encryption used though, and found this on their website:

"All data Remote Utilities sends over the network is encrypted with the secure encryption algorithms (RSA 2048 asymmetric + AES 256 symmetric) using Microsoft Crypto API. Encryption is always active and cannot be disabled."

Not bad.

I switched to teamviewer and activated two-factor authentication with Google Authenticator, took all of a minute to set it up.

You are using TFA, aren't you? If you aren't, you should. :cool:

Or, if you have ssh access setup (which if your running linux you should!) and just public/private key for access and your golden :)

Couldn't you use teamviewer to hit one pc and then just vnc to all the other rigs on your home network? Just a thought.

sorry I deleted the quote by accident - someone had said there was a limit to how many boxes you can have in your teamviewer account, or something like that.

Couldn't you use teamviewer to hit one pc and then just vnc to all the other rigs on your home network?
You can, but the lag and screen confusion (which screen am I really looking at?) is really difficult. I've tried it. The lag is cumulative for Internet and the home network VNC server/receiver software.

Back