Logitech Z625 Speaker System

Algrim

[H]ard|Gawd
Would anyone who has had this product like to comment on it? Since I partially killed the line out of my motherboard‘s sound module and the speaker system I currently have is exhibiting problems I am very interested in this product as it has an optical input thus eliminating the need to purchase an internal sound card.

I know I could go down the route of purchasing a DAC unit and headphone amplifier (in addition to external speakers) but at the moment I am leaning towards saving the big purchase for a separate sound system.

Go for Edifier S350DB, all these logitechs and creatives are subpar in audio quality, especially in the bass reproduction.

Go for Edifier S350DB, all these logitechs and creatives are subpar in audio quality, especially in the bass reproduction.

I may just put "don't buy plastic computer speakers" in my signature at this point.

An intriguing recommendation. Since Best Buy carries them I may be able to listen to them.

I may just put "don't buy plastic computer speakers" in my signature at this point.

My current speaker system is an old Monsoon PlanarMedia Flat Panel Satellite and Sub arrangement (probably around 2001 to 2003 vintage) . Thankfully, they're metal (probably to protect the electrostatic ribbon) as I have a cat that likes to use the satellite as a spring point to get on top of the computer. If they were plastic I doubt they'd have survived as long as they have.

My Kanto YU2s are plastic... and if I nailed you with one, you'd know it ;)

(they're on a different level though)

Mostly, don't buy Logitech. Plenty of 'audio monitors' that come with various digital interfaces (and thus their own DAC). My YU2 set is USB, for example.

And since Microsoft put the audio output switcher into the volume dialog... I've come to prefer having separate DACs. But if you want that, you could get a pair of studio monitors at whichever size fits best and use a real USB interface like a Focusrite Scarlett, or one of the dozen other popular series that isn't red.

This is going to be attached to my Linux workstation. I’m really interested in using the optical out and completely bypassing the internal DAC though it does play nicely with Debian 10...

This is going to be attached to my Linux workstation. I’m really interested in using the optical out and completely bypassing the internal DAC though it does play nicely with Debian 10...
I've used my USB speakers as well as USB DAC and combo USB and optical DACs without issue with every modern distro family. Stuffs all driverless these days unless you want to run software apps or utilities (i.e. Creative / ASUS) for additional functionality, but most of those parts will work as sound devices with the base Windows / Linux drivers too.

As long as my current speakers continue to work on my dresser top workstation I’m going to continue to use them. I’ve tracked down the weak point to the controller input (the one that goes from the subwoofer to the volume/bass/treble controller) and I sometimes just need to apply differential pressure to the DIN plug to get sound back.

Once we get our house I will be moving my workstation to a dedicated office space and desk. I have an old pair of JBL L20Ts I don’t use any more along with a B&K amplifier which will take over workstation sound duty. I’ll just need to get an external DAC and pre-amplifier for the rest of the audio stack. The L20Ts will be mounted back on their stands on either side of the desk and set back slightly as i don’t believe they are very near-field capable.

Back