Logitech Z623 Opinions

Bun-Bun

Gawd
Couldn't find an appropriate thread to put this in so I decided to create my own.

I have been reading a lot about 2.0 and 2.1 systems lately as my Corsair SP2500's died and I need some new work speakers. People have compared the Z623's to the Corsair SP2500 say they are just as good for less.

This couldn't be further from the truth. All the R&D in the Z623 was put into the sub. Which is alright. But the speakers are garbage. Sounds like there is a blanket over them, crossover point is all wrong, no sound stage to speak of, look stupid, and the system is limited in features.

The Corsairs are an active 2 way (the speakers are bi amped), have an incredibly designed bandbass sub for the price point, volume control with various options including a night mode that works well, and exceptional build quality. The only thing I can fault the Corsair for is the 150hz hole as the speakers are on the small side. But really given the price point I can't blame them for that either given the rest.

And since the Corsairs can be found on sale that put them only $40 more than the logitech's it is a no brainer. If $200 is still too much then get the Klipsch promedia 2.1's.

Unless all you care about is having a good sub, then sure buy the Z623's. I am taking them back and would advise everyone not to waste their time with these things.

pfft logicrap.. you must be fucking mad to create a thread for this shit here.. anyway, take a look of whats inside those Z623 "35W" satellites:

GIYJR.jpg

Hahaha. That's awesome.

Anyway I made a discovery for those who are unfortunate to have these speakers and can't return them. I raised the speakers up to ear level and it made a huge difference. I could actually listen to these now. But I am still taking them back.

The speakers are horribly designed. I think even though they are angled they are have reflections issues when sitting on a desk. Raising them up lifted the veil that was over the imaginary tweeters and opened up the sound stage.

so if you have them, raise them up or try different positions different materials to put them on. But stay away from them if you can.

What do you recommend? if this is the case? What did you ultimately end up getting to replace your setup?

I haven't yet. I have been looking at the Audioengine P4's with a seperate amp. But that's quite a bit more money and would still need a sub. There are the Audioengine A2's as well but again would need a sub still.

In the $100-$150 bracket get the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. $150+ get the Corsair SP2500's. I bought my first set for $200 cnd and then had a $35 mail-in rebate.

I'm probably going to end up with another SP2500 set.

Personally speaking, there are a few key area's in a PC build / experience that I think deserve more budget than other parts. That's your computer chair, monitor, speakers and graphics card.

You may not want to invest $300 - $400 in speakers but I personally think it's well worth it.

Hit craigslist up. If you're fortunate enough to live in a high populated area start doing searches for KRK, Klipsch etc or anything else speaker wise you're interested in. You would be very surprised what people buy then decided they would rather have the money back on.

I agree. Except that most desktop's don't have the space for some monitors or bookshelf speakers and a amp. That's the problem I have with my work set up. The Audioengine P4's are the biggest speakers I want on my desk. There is not much available in that size.

But definitely there are a lot of really good deals on hifi speakers on the used market. If I could fit something 6-7" wide, 6-10" deep and 12" tall on my desk then there a lot of different options to pick from.

if you want bury pretty much any pc speakers for small money

(and you can make a bit of room on your desk)

used.. atm i am listening to my Kenwook KR-V106R (100WPC) receiver ($20) and my Monitor Audio Silver S1 speakers from thriftstore ($11.25) (in fairness the MA's looked a bit rough when i got them i cleaned them up) but for $31.25 this is some of the best computer audio i have personally ever heard.

On my desk i also have a Pioneer SX-3600 ($70) and NHT SuperZero speakers ($50/pr used) w/ a Polk PSW10 Sub $100.. so that set up is more like $220 but it sounds fantastic as well.

if you lack room for a receiver you can go with a little digital amp (T-amp + bookshelf speakers and sub (optional)

inexpensive and good new speakers : Pioneer SP-BS21 $80 (keep an eye out for deals on these they were $60 yesterday on newegg and have been a few times recently)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405

and a little t-amp

(cheap one...i personally don't recommend)

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepa...&ie=UTF8&qid=1395253529&sr=1-1&keywords=lepai

and this is mine that i have had for a couple years that I do recommend

http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-TA2021B-...TF8&qid=1395252456&sr=8-1&keywords=smsl+sa-s3

but many other decent options (topping , muse..etc)

while I don't care for it so much w/ the Lepai and the Pioneers for ~$100 you can have something much better sounding that any logitech's and imho much better than the Klispch 2.1's or the corsairs SP2500 (having heard all)..

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
my desk

note some smaller still good sounding speaker options (used) smallest speaker top (towards monitor) Optimus Pro X5 ($10/pr) next to the them are NHT SuperZero's (mine i got used $50/pr.. but they can be had new $100~ ea) and lower Optimus Pro X44AV (like minimus 7s but shielded and ported) mine cost $10/pr.

obviously on the vintage / used stuff availability/price can vary greatly..

Yeah like I said if there is room on the desk there are tons of options for bookshelf speakers and lots of deals on the used market.

I am not convinced about the T amps but a lot of people seem to like the Topping ones and they can be had on amazon for $60-130. Audioengine N22 is $200.

NHT Superzero is another option I have been considering (though I can't get them as cheap as you did) but I have read they don't go very low resulting in a higher crossover point.

Those optimus can be found for cheap. I should try a pair.

I am possibly getting a pair of Audioengines P4's in bamboo for a good deal, if that falls through I am seriously considering building my own speakers and sub. I have built sub's before but not speakers. And I really like the corsiar sub so I may take a stab at building a bandpass sub box.

hey Bun-Bun

i have (as you see :) ) a lot of vintage audio gear and i still like the sound my little SMSL put's out when comparing it i think it can depend on speaker pairing and which t-amp (or in the case of some like the lepai what power supply ..the lepai's don't sound very good with the included weak psu and benefit from buying a better one 5A+)

but yeah if you see the Optimus / Minimus Speakers out and about for reasonable money try them they are actually nice sounding little speakers and for the minimus 7's there are also some crossover mods that some do that supposedly (haven't tried it myself) make them even better.

hopefully you can find some SuperZero's (mine are older USA made verse the new ones ..china..oh well) they are so nice.. you are correct they don't try / claim to go very low so a sub will likely be required... however using them at my computer desk at night (we have a condo) I turn the sub off (to make sure i don't piss off my neighbors) and it isn't too bad.

People have compared the Z623's to the Corsair SP2500 say they are just as good for less.

LOL. The Z623's don't even have a dedicated tweeter. That mid-range driver will only get it so far. They get loud though, primarily due to the sub/amp.

I would have gotten these instead, since you're in Canada.

http://www.amazon.ca/Edifier-S330D-...e=UTF8&qid=1395258538&sr=8-2&keywords=edifier

They're likely not as loud, but I bet the clarity is better. You can also find them on sale from time-to-time.

There's even these:

http://www.amazon.ca/Harman-Kardon-...sr=8-1&keywords=harman+kardon+soundsticks+iii

Anything else is going to cost you more. You want the best, you'll likely have to go bookshelf/studio monitor; if you can find used though, go for it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The swans look nice but after shipping and customs to canada that is a lot of money.

The Audioinsider even had a open box for $50 less. $400 shipped.

The swans look nice but after shipping and customs to canada that is a lot of money.

The Audioinsider even had a open box for $50 less. $400 shipped.

I remember you said something about that. Sucks.

Good deal for anyone else though, I guess.

Back