Logitech needs to quit making mice

I switched BACK to my mx510 after trying a razer diamondback for 3 months. The DB sucked ergonomically as well as on the driver front.

Don't believe the razer hype people! For me, it was a waste of money.

ive never had problems with logitech mice, i dont like em much, razers are nicer IMO, but YMMV :p

oh man. i haaaaate logictech mice are like. not so cool. i have had this standard optical microsoft mouse. its the white one with the roller wheel for like 3 years now. i use it for css, and i am my teams awper (sniper) it reads everything fine, it doesnt jump, or misinterprate clicks.

but on my other machine i have gone through 4 logictech mice. 4. after the seccond one died i wanted a differant model but noooo my dad has to find a logitech one on sale! (and again he finds a logitech mouse on sale after the 3rd one died) and god knows if somethings on sale WE HAVE TO BUY IT! 4 mice, 2 years.

logitech still has my respect, because they have the peoples webbie! you know that one you can find in cereal boxes.

no mouse i see is as comfortable to use/hold as the mx510 series and its newer models (G7, mx518, etc.)

I have the MX518. It's reasonably comfortable, and it's light. I like it. Good selection of features and performance.

I will say, though, that from a comfort standpoint I think Microsoft has them all beat.

If anyone says I said that I'll deny it :)

-Larry

Molingrad said:
no mouse i see is as comfortable to use/hold as the mx510 series and its newer models (G7, mx518, etc.)

Well I've got several Logitech mice. I've never experienced any issues with them. I do agree their drivers suck bad. In fact the only mouse I've ever had trouble with is the MX1000. Other than that, all of them have been great.

Heres a list of them I currently have.

MX500
MX510
MX518
MX1000 <--------Only problem child of the bunch
G5
G7

Sometime in the late 90's I found out Logitech drivers blew. I have tried them every so often, and with the MX1000 I tried every driver release for 4 months or so and they always sucked.

Dan_D said:
Well I've got several Logitech mice. I've never experienced any issues with them. I do agree their drivers suck bad. In fact the only mouse I've ever had trouble with is the MX1000. Other than that, all of them have been great.

MX500
MX510
MX518
G5
G7

Sometime in the late 90's I found out Logitech drivers blew. I have tried them every so often, and with the MX1000 I tried every driver release for 4 months or so and they always sucked.

The G7 and MX1000 are the only cordless mice, am I correct? Hmmm, I don't see any uni-hand cordless mice that look promising.

eggrock said:
Hmmm, I don't see any uni-hand cordless mice that look promising.
What's your point?

If you feel like bitching about Logitech not having the "right" mouse for you, don't buy logitech. There are other manufacturers.

Dan_D said:

MX500
MX510
MX518
G5
G7

You havent seen sucky drivers until you go razer.

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
What's your point?

If you feel like bitching about Logitech not having the "right" mouse for you, don't buy logitech. There are other manufacturers.

AFAIK there are *no* manufacturers that are going to fit my needs, that being a reliable, accurate, wireless, optical mouse with good drivers, programmable buttons (that actually work) and fit either hand comfortably. Add the kicker of: a recharge stand.

If one exists, please, provide a link.

eggrock said:
AFAIK there are *no* manufacturers that are going to fit my needs, that being a reliable, accurate, wireless, optical mouse with good drivers, programmable buttons (that actually work) and fit either hand comfortably. Add the kicker of: a recharge stand.

If one exists, please, provide a link.
Maybe so. But the title of this thread is:
Logitech Needs to Quit Making Mice
So why aim it at Logitech, if you're going to complain at everbody?? ;)

Logitech is a quality manufacturer, IMHO.

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
Maybe so. But the title of this thread is:
So why aim it at Logitech, if you're going to complain at everbody?? ;)

Logitech is a quality manufacturer, IMHO.

Didn't you just suggest using another manufacturer?? :confused:

Personally I'd like to get the one I have working correctly.. If I have to go back to corded I will, but I'm spoiled by wireless, even one that doesn't work correctly all the time.

eggrock said:
The G7 and MX1000 are the only cordless mice, am I correct? Hmmm, I don't see any uni-hand cordless mice that look promising.

They are the only cordless mice. Correct. The MX1000 can work flawlessly even in games provided the location of the base is close to where the mouse will be. Some systems I have always showed lag issues with it in PS2 or USB configurations. Yet others worked fine with it.

My G7 is almost perfect. I love the feel and layout. I wish the grip was more like the MX518's instead of being so smooth. My hands grip to the MX510 and MX518 better than the G5. But I've tried the G7 and G5 side by side on the same machine and the G7 is absolutely just as fast and tracks just as well as the corded G5. Truely the G7 is the best cordless mouse I've ever used or seen.

At home:

MX510
MX518
MX1000

At work:
MX3100 desktop (MX1000 mouse)
G1 (not available in the states) 800optical DPI sensor

Flawless including the MX1000. Once Logitech fixed the "jumping" with the MX1000 by replacing the charging hub which was a firmware fix, its been beautiful.
And yes, I am left handed as well but learned to use my right for micing around.

As far as a mouse recommendation, hmm, you might have to go off-brand on this one (Belkin?). I've yet to find an ambidextrous mouse that didn't feel cheap.

-E

I love my mouse. :)

But a few month's ago my MX1000 developed an intermittant problem where the down scroll button would stick until I clicked it again, or the wheel button would not work. I put up with it for a while; but finally called Logitech support.

I told them what was happening. They used the serial number to determine warranty status. The CS rep said they were going to send me, "a fresh mouse," by ground shipment that would arrive in seven to ten business days.

"Yeah sure, " I thought. "They'll send me a refurb. But that doesn't matter so long as it works."

A few minutes ago a DHL truck delivered a sealed, brand new, retail-boxed MX1000 with all the trimmings to my door. I looked on the outside and inside of the packaging for the telltale signs it was a refurb. Nope....it really was a fresh mouse.

That's great service. :D If I have the need to buy another mouse in the next couple of years, unless some vendor comes out with something that's worlds better, I'll be getting another Logitech.

(Oh yeah, I almost forgot: 1st Post! Wheeeee!!!)

mx310 and mx700 so far. both flawless. mx1000 is gonna be the next one i buy

been using my MX 700 duo (wireless) for 3 years now and work like a charm

I have some problems with the drivers but i think it is my computers fault not logitech

The same battiers that came in the box for the keyboard are still working today and if i charge tha mouse over night it will work for around 4-5 days. Also i am on my computer about 6-8 hours a day (nothing else to do in the dorms).

Logitech Forever

MX310 at work, 518 at home. I was stuck on Explorer 3.0 for the longest time. The 518 would be *perfect* if it was a bit lighter

I'm going back to corded, I'm done screwing around with this. Logitech's going on the scrap shelf. :(

I'm giving a Razer a shot to see how well it performs. If that doesn't work it's back to the trusty Microsoft mouse that never gave me problems.

I'm left-handed and I've NEVER used the mouse on the left side, it feels awkward. I also use a Logitech MX518 (with drivers!) and love it.

I've also gone back to corded for both. No more dealing with interference or batteries. It's not REALLY wireless anyway, it only eliminates a small segment of the wiring. :rolleyes:

I however can't stand Logitech's keyboards. Compared to Microsoft's offerings, they feel quite cheap (Di Nuvo is the one exception).

keyboard.jpg

I've been using an MX1000 laser for about 5 months and its truly the best mouse ever!
Its extremely precise and smooth, has no perceivable lag, is amazingly comfortable and the battery lasts a very long time.

The battery goes over a week with almost constant use (16hrs per day) before needing a charge. I never switch it off.
The battery is rated for at least 200 full charges which is at least 4 years!
The transmitter is about 2 metres away and never gives a problem once working. To set it up, rotate the base until it works 100%, thats it :)

Its also very hard wearing.
My mouse pad is 4 ft off the floor on the sofa (home cinema setup). The number of times the mouse has crashed to the floor, hitting all manner of things yet it has no marks and works like it just came out of the box.
Its great for windows and awesome for gaming.

The drivers are only needed if you want to use all the buttons. The Forward/back, mousewheel and left/middle/centre buttons all work with default windows drivers.
The left/right and application buttons need the drivers to function. The drivers also allow you to program the buttons.
The drivers do install a load of wolla but I havent found them intrusive in any way and system performance isnt impacted.

I am so happy with this mouse that I dont bother reading any more mouse reviews. Its perfect.

Soooo, I reckon Logitech do know how to make mice and if you have a duff one, you should do the normal sensible thing and get a replacement.
Sure beats ranting about it on the web and making yerself look like a berk hehe.

edit:
a mate of mine who is a Counterstrike addict tried my mx1000 and liked it so much he bought one. He wouldnt change his either.

I love my mx1000. I wouldnt trade it for anything. Its the perfect size, I love the bunch of buttons heh. Ive never had a single issue, other than forgetting to charge it because I'm senile. No skipping, not problems in gaming at all. True it was a bit expensive but over the last 10 months, WELL worth every cent.

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
The cheap logitechs are horrible, but spend the $30 and get a mx518 or higher, you will love it.
I used to have a Logitech click! Worst optical spinner known to man, that thing was so evil Satan even went back to a ball mouse.

QFT. In my experience if you buy a cheap logitech (essentially any of their mice with just two buttons and a scrollwheel) it'll be the biggest pile of junk ever conceived. But get one of the mx5xx or higher ones and you're in mouse heaven. I personally avoided logitech for a while (and used M$ mice) because of the aforementioned shitty cheap ones, but then a few months ago I gave them a shot again and picked up an mx510. wow. the thing is amazing. And my friend's mx518 is just the same.

I love my MX1000 for general surfing/computer use but I found it to be too heavy for my tastes when gaming. Bought a MX518 to replace and couldn't be happier.

Mouse MX1000, never had any problems at all with any games or apps
G15 keyboard, best one i have ever owned

Keep the flames and personal attacks out of this, and keep it on topic, or the thread gets locked. Simple.....

Thanks, guys - B.B.S.

It's clear that a significant majority of Logitech customers commend Logitech products. I'm surprised that this thread is still going, as if it's supposed to trigger a cosmic event against or in favor of Logitech.

Chernobyl1 said:
I've been using an MX1000 laser for about 5 months and its truly the best mouse ever!
Its extremely precise and smooth, has no perceivable lag, is amazingly comfortable and the battery lasts a very long time.

The battery goes over a week with almost constant use (16hrs per day) before needing a charge. I never switch it off.
The battery is rated for at least 200 full charges which is at least 4 years!
The transmitter is about 2 metres away and never gives a problem once working. To set it up, rotate the base until it works 100%, thats it :)

One thing I *love* about the Cordless Click! is that the (AA) batteries last a long, long time. The only time I've replaced them has been to try and fix the problems I've been having (the Logitech CP has always said fully charged when I've looked at it--when I've had their software installed.)

Razer is out for me. God a Copperhead yesterday and it's one of the most uncomfortable mice I've ever used; that ridge along the side feels a lot like the NES controller which would make my ring fingers numb, then painful after a few hours of use. The only mouse that felt more awkward was the old squared-off Apple mice.

So the Razer is going back. Easy decision, following their instructions wasn't exactly helpful: "Plug the mouse in, start your PC and install the drivers." Installing the drivers killed the mouse. Shutting down and re-plugging in the mouse fixed that but the software couldn't find the mouse after that. Repeated installs, same thing. Bye bye.

So I guess that leaves me with a Microsoft mouse of the MX318 recommended on the first page.

I haven't read every post but I just want to post my experiences with logitech.

Around 4-5 years ago I bought the MX700. I was very happy with the purchase. No interference unless the reciever was next to my CRT, or if a small hair got stuck next to the lens. Battery life was amazing. Whenever I was not using the mouse I'd just put it in the charger, so batteries never died while I was using the mouse. It is a very comfortable and ergonomic design, almost fit my hand perfectly. The extra buttons were very helpful in both browsing and gaming (assign certain tasks/spells/whatever to a button is so helpful)

I had been using it for around 4 years before I finally decided to replace the batteries it came with. Then when I went to college, the mouse randomly stopped working. It would not power up, and when I placed it in the charger, the batteries would just get extemely hot for some reason. I have no idea what happened.

So now I have a MX1000, and I'm sort of glad my MX700 died, because that helped me decide to upgrade. I thought this mouse looked weird before trying it, but it is actually a lot more comfortable to me than the MX700 was. I use this computer most of the day, and I can leave the mouse off the charger for days before it gets down to 1/3 on the battery meter. 0 interference problems, and I guess since it's a laser mouse, hair getting stuck by the lens does not create any problems.

I also own the G15, got it 3-4 months ago and it has been working great. I have the Z-5500 speakers too. They are amazing.

I just got off the phone with their customer support, and they said they will be shipping me a new mouse to replace the dead MX700. All I did was tell them the problem, read the serial numbers, and gave my address. I do not have to ship back the dead mouse. My friend did the same thing with his MX500, and they sent him a new MX518 to replace it.

If it were not for logitech we'd all be stuck with some very lame mice, I can't complain about them, good stuff

ChingChang said:

That's beyoootiful! Okay, so Logitech can now continue making mice. And thanks for the recognition in that article:

HANNOVER, Germany — CeBIT — March 8, 2006 — Logitech (SWX: LOGN) (NASDAQ: LOGI), the world´s leading manufacturer of computer mice, today announced the end of discrimination against the left hand. Some of the smartest and most creative people in the world favor their left hand, but they have always had to adapt to a world dominated by the right hand. While many have adapted well and become great achievers in spite of this hardship — Leonardo Da Vinci, Aristotle, Mahatmah Gandhi, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, eggrock and Mozart, for example.

Gotta love that, thanks Logitech! :p And thanks ChingChang!

My wife's gonna bitch, but that's just an excuse to buy another computer. :eek:

Does input and connector technology matter or is it merely one's 'personal experience' - (or a combination of both) - that makes a good mouse? Is there a way to determine whether wired vs wireless, optical vs laser or USB vs PS/2 gives the better performance? I'm leaning heavily towards upgrading from my MX700 to a MX518 - (I'm a moderate gamer but care about performance in my peripherals) - but I'm trying to assure myself that this is a better choice than the MX1000 and the G5 and the G7.

Back