Logitech G930 at Newegg. 90$ no MIR

I'd jump on this deal myself but I am too broke after throwing down for a Filco keyboard and the rest of my comp

These are fake 7.1s right? How much better would it be over stereo headphones (HD555s in my case)

These are fake 7.1s right? How much better would it be over stereo headphones (HD555s in my case)

Right, it's simulated 7.1. They work well imo but I couldn't tell you how much better they are over anything else.

I've been using the G930's for about a month or two now. Although they are comfortable and have clean sound, they are defiantly not 7.1 or even 5.1. Running sound checks, you hear the sound out of the left ear, or the right ear with very little distinguished direction from fronts, sides, and rears. I've used the Logitech z-5500 speakers for years on my gaming rig and they do 5.1 very nice for PC speakers. I also have a home theater powered by an Onkyo receiver using Atlantic Technologies 6200e THX 7.1. You want true surround sound, get speakers and a receiver. The gimmick of getting surround through a headset is way over praised. I fell for it, tried it, and as expected, didn't get the effect through them. But as a headset, they are comfortable, and have great sound... just not surround as I'm use to hearing it. When you flip the switch for "surround" all you get is an echo/reverb effect, not distinctive surround sound. I bought these for the mic and to be able to hear and communicate with my team mates in L4D2 & BFBC2 better. Nothing beats a good speaker setup, but we can't always have the sound cranked. A headset like this Logitech G930s and is't brother, the G35, fill the needs very well. I do recommend them, but don't be too sold on the 5.1/7.1 effect out of a headset gimmick. They do make a great gaming headset otherwise.... and at $90, it's a STEAL!!! I paid $120 (on sale) for mine.

I've been using the G930's for about a month or two now. Although they are comfortable and have clean sound, they are defiantly not 7.1 or even 5.1. Running sound checks, you hear the sound out of the left ear, or the right ear with very little distinguished direction from fronts, sides, and rears. I've used the Logitech z-5500 speakers for years on my gaming rig and they do 5.1 very nice for PC speakers. I also have a home theater powered by an Onkyo receiver using Atlantic Technologies 6200e THX 7.1. You want true surround sound, get speakers and a receiver. The gimmick of getting surround through a headset is way over praised. I fell for it, tried it, and as expected, didn't get the effect through them. But as a headset, they are comfortable, and have great sound... just not surround as I'm use to hearing it. When you flip the switch for "surround" all you get is an echo/reverb effect, not distinctive surround sound. I bought these for the mic and to be able to hear and communicate with my team mates in L4D2 & BFBC2 better. Nothing beats a good speaker setup, but we can't always have the sound cranked. A headset like this Logitech G930s and is't brother, the G35, fill the needs very well. I do recommend them, but don't be too sold on the 5.1/7.1 effect out of a headset gimmick. They do make a great gaming headset otherwise.... and at $90, it's a STEAL!!! I paid $120 (on sale) for mine.

They're not all gimmicks. I used to have a turtle beach headset that was true 5.1 and it was awesome. I was able to pinpoint everything perfectly in L4D. Unfortunately they fell apart and were uncomfortable after a few hours. I then bought into all that crap about all surround headsets being gimmicks so I thought I would get the same effect from regular headphones and got the HD555's and boy was I wrong. The only good thing about them is that they're extremely comfortable even after as much hours of use.

I've noticed this will every surround sound headset I've ever tried.

I have the Tritton AX720s and they do a very nice job of emulating surround sound (directional audio, footsteps, etc.) when gaming. I run the optical out from my sound card into the Tritton amp, so I'm not sure if you can get the same effect when plugging directly into the sound card.

Not sure how these Logitech's are but if you want a decent set of headphones that can produce nice directional audio for gaming, I would look for something that comes with a separate amp.

Must have been something wrong with your set, because my G930s have SUPERB 7.1 sound and it's clearly properly spaced surround, not just a "reverb/echo" effect. I play a lot of games and as long as the game has a good audio engine (games like Bad Company 2, Source engine games, etc) the surround effect is just perfect.

To make sure this wasn't some kind of placebo effect I did some "tests" by closing my eyes and listening to sounds and attempting to rotate myself and position a sound source either in front of or behind "me"/the player, and 100% of the time it was spot on. I could tell a sound in front or behind me all the time, every time.

Conversely if I turned the 7.1 feature off (by clicking the switch to the stereo position) I could track to center front/rear but couldn't tell which was which. So yeah, it definitely works.

However I have read that some people have difficulties spatially tracking "psychoacoustic" sound (i.e. positional sound that does not actually come from different positions) so there will be some small amount of people that the effect does not work for. I'm not in any way trying to tell you it did or should have worked for you, just that it DOES work for many.

Anyhoo, the 930s aren't perfect but if you want a quality circumaural PC headset that is wireless these cannot be beat for $90. The wireless feature is freaking awesome, can't stand using my old wired headset at all now.

Oh yeah, one more thing. If anyone was wondering, two G930s (or more, but I have only tested two) work perfectly well together in the same room. My roomie has a pair as well and they don't interfere in the slightest. :)

I've noticed this will every surround sound headset I've ever tried.

See above.

I have the Tritton AX720s and they do a very nice job of emulating surround sound (directional audio, footsteps, etc.) when gaming. I run the optical out from my sound card into the Tritton amp, so I'm not sure if you can get the same effect when plugging directly into the sound card.

Not sure how these Logitech's are but if you want a decent set of headphones that can produce nice directional audio for gaming, I would look for something that comes with a separate amp.

I'm not really an audiophile but from what I understand, these are powered (either by battery or by the USB cable) so doesn't that mean they are effectively amplified? In any case I have had no trouble going as loud as my ears can take the and the sound quality is not mind blowing but as good as I've heard in any set of headphones under $200. Also being USB they are essentially a portable sound card - the processing is all done by the wireless receiver so it actually processes true 7.1 streams into the "Dolby Headphone" logic.

Last edited:
There really are not a lot of options for wireless PC headsets. These are amazing for $90, I've been very happy. The only caveat is you may have to move the dongle around to find a spot where it doesn't disconnect every so often.

If the surround effect works for you, then that's great. I don't want to make anyone look for problems where they don't see it naturally. Kind of like someone pointing out a back light issue in their monitor when you never noticed it before. All of a sudden, you aren't as happy with it.

... but for those interested in testing their surround effect, just load up a THX dvd, like any Pixar film and there is usually a THX setup menu where you can play sound test to test your surround speaker placements. With these or any headphones, you'll be struggling to notice the difference from front left and rear left. Judging surround from a game isn't a good method. I once used a pair of noise concealing ear buds and in BFBC2. I was able to distinguish enemy positioning even with them. All it takes is turning your head in game and pin-point where the sound is coming from. Sit still with no movement and it isn't as easy to know if the shots around you are coming from the rear left, just left, or even front left. But if you do have true 5.1 speakers, you'll defiantly notice the effect. Earphones just can't do that. But again, I don't want to make anyone look for an issue where they believe there is none, so we'll just leave this to the opinion of the user.

I do have to say, surround or not, I'm loving these earphones. So comfortable and the sound from the mic is so clear. Some say the bass isn't that good, but for earphones, I don't think they are all that bad. Like a person above said, I'll never use a wired headset again. Its so nice to be able to step away to go to the kitchen for a drink or a snack and not miss out on any discussion going on in Ventrilo or game chat.

At $90, what are you waiting for? Go steal these before it's too late!!!!!

Here's a [H]ardLink to newegg. Use it so Kyle can get the commissions!

Right now I'm using a wired Senneheiser headset and I keep tripping on the wires...

I am also using my XBOX 360 Turtle Beach Earforce X31. The sound and voice is great except I hear little static in the background and it bugs me out...

DO I WANT TO BUY THIS HEADSET? HELL YES!!!!!!!!!

I have the wired version (G35) and I LOVE THEM! 7.1 or 5.1 whatever the game/movie I"m watching/playing supports, and the sound location is 100% spot on! LOVE THEM!

I have a similar question about whether or not these would be better than Senn HD590s.

How are the MIC on these? I have read mixed reviews about the mic. I'm going to be using this for work. Yea I know it's a gamming head set but I need somthing thats got good range and good battery life. But the mic has to work well as I do help desk and it can't drop signal or voice or i'm screwed lol. Thanks

How are the MIC on these? I have read mixed reviews about the mic. I'm going to be using this for work. Yea I know it's a gamming head set but I need somthing thats got good range and good battery life. But the mic has to work well as I do help desk and it can't drop signal or voice or i'm screwed lol. Thanks

I have the G35 and VoiP and Ventrilo people say my voice is crystal clear. Extremely happy with my wired version G35. I'm almost tempted to purchase these and sell my G35 to a friend.

Still wondering about sound quality vs. higher-end stereo headphones.

Also, are there any other (better) wired choices for this price or less? Wireless is not a huge deal to me.

Also, are there any other (better) wired choices for this price or less? Wireless is not a huge deal to me.

You'll probably want to go into the audio forum. You'll get a more informative response there. One thing to keep in mind is even if you got a sweet set of headphones, the sound will be a lot better if it is delivered from a dedicated sound card from your computer. These types of headphones does all the audio decoding internally and bypasses the sound card.

Sound quality is pretty meh, it's on par with a low end set of wired headsets. I bought it because it's wireless and convenient. The quality of the headset itself is fine and comfortable but my router appears to interfere with the signal even though I have the USB no further than 2 feet from me so it disconnects and reconnects sometimes every 5 minutes or 2 hours. The microphone works great though and it's got a pretty decent battery and range. If you don't care about wireless then get a good pair of sennheiser's like the HD555 for roughly the same price or cheaper.

Well like I said I already have a pair of HD590s, so I guess I'll skip this. Was just wondering if the 7.1 virtualization was worth it. Wireless would be nice but not totally necessary.

Well like I said I already have a pair of HD590s, so I guess I'll skip this. Was just wondering if the 7.1 virtualization was worth it. Wireless would be nice but not totally necessary.

7.1 just makes everything seem more echoed throughout the headset, not true 7.1. You could accomplish the same effect by plugging your headphones into a decent soundcard that supports headphone virtualization or the crystalizer. It sounds good in some games but awful in most.

Sound quality is pretty meh, it's on par with a low end set of wired headsets. I bought it because it's wireless and convenient. The quality of the headset itself is fine and comfortable but my router appears to interfere with the signal even though I have the USB no further than 2 feet from me so it disconnects and reconnects sometimes every 5 minutes or 2 hours. The microphone works great though and it's got a pretty decent battery and range. If you don't care about wireless then get a good pair of sennheiser's like the HD555 for roughly the same price or cheaper.

I hate to sound like I'm doing a paid advertisement for these or something, but I think it's pretty unrealistic to say the sound quality is on pair with low end wired headsets. I've owned a few, including Plantronics Gamecoms, and a couple of Microsoft headsets (USB and standard minijack). They were in the $40-50 range, and I can tell you without a doubt the G930 blows them out of the water, not even remotely comparable. Maybe because of all the interference issues you have the sound quality was getting messed with as well.

7.1 just makes everything seem more echoed throughout the headset, not true 7.1. You could accomplish the same effect by plugging your headphones into a decent soundcard that supports headphone virtualization or the crystalizer. It sounds good in some games but awful in most.

Does not sound more echoed on my set, just sounds like proper positional audio. If the game only supports stereo sound then it sounds like crap until you flick the 7.1/stereo switch back to stereo.

Anyway, if you already own a set of high end wired head phones, don't care for wireless, and don't need a high quality mic than this set would not be for you.

If you love the idea of going wireless and not rolling over the cord from your headset with your chair all the time, want a better quality sound than a standard USB headset, and need a crystal clear mic for gaming or voicechatting, you really can't go wrong with these (unless you are one of the unlucky people who run into interference issues. Personally I have my own wireless network, a second G930, as well as 4 other wireless networks close enough for me to connect to and I have not had one problem)

I think that answers my questions thoroughly, thanks. :cool: I'd like to give these a try, but not for $90...maybe if I find them for $40-50 sometime I will give them a shot.

Good luck finding these for less then this. I've never seen them below $100 before, let alone for $50. Maybe the wired G35's, but not these.

Just wait till the next fancy thing comes out and they'll drop in price. :cool:

I have these and the razer chimaeras. Overall I like the logitechs a lot more.

I've been using them for a little bit now and I really like the quality of them. My one complaint is kind of a non-issue, they make my head and ears HOT. They're so incredibly isolating it's like nothing escapes, heh heh. Very good deal a great headset I'm really enjoying.

FWIW, the street price on these was a little over $100 just two weeks ago, so this is not some mega-deal. (I know because I was comparing e-tailer prices with Best Buy's laughable $160 MSRP pricepoint.)

I owned (and then sold) the wired G35 equivalent. The sound was decent for overall non-gaming use, but not as good as my HD280s. In some games, the positional audio is pretty good, but for the most part good positional audio in PC games died with the end of EAX, let alone A3D. It's all done in software. When I pair my HD280s with the Dolby Headphone + 7.1 function on my Xonar DG, it sounds better than the G35 in games in terms of sound quality, though I'm not sure whether it offers the same positional quality.

Last edited:
I jumped on this deal last week with the $10 newcustomer10 (yea, I'm one of those guys) code for a nice $80 out the door. The quality and comfort of these headphones is fantastic IMHO, I've actually been forgetting that they're on my head at night while watching movies and find myself freaking out during high volume scenes thinking the sound is coming from my surround speakers. No drops in connection, even upwards of 40 feet away from the base station. I can't really find anything to complain about at this price point.

I jumped on this deal last week with the $10 newcustomer10 (yea, I'm one of those guys) code for a nice $80 out the door. The quality and comfort of these headphones is fantastic IMHO, I've actually been forgetting that they're on my head at night while watching movies and find myself freaking out during high volume scenes thinking the sound is coming from my surround speakers. No drops in connection, even upwards of 40 feet away from the base station. I can't really find anything to complain about at this price point.

Good deal, I am trying to avoid buying these because my current pc build is already way over budget, but I may end up picking them up if I get the overtime I expect this week.

I have the G35, got it for my bday. And I will say its garbage tbh. First of all this may just be an issue with my head, but this thing slides down if I move my head at all. It feels kinda heavy and the sounds is stupid. Unless it is in 7.1 I hear basically everything in the left ear and barely anything in the right.

Sound card + headphone/set is way better. And I heard that these are 2.4ghz wireless? So they may interfere with other wireless stuff. If you never had a sound card I guess they could be good.

Unless it is in 7.1 I hear basically everything in the left ear and barely anything in the right.

You're doing it wrong. You need to switch the game audio to 2.1 and your G35's toggle to non-Dolby mode.

If I could afford it I'd go with those new Sennheiser RS 160s with Kleer technology. The first truly perfect wireless audio technology, so it seems.

Has anyone run into interference problems with these? I currently use a 2.4 GHz wireless mouse (one of Logitech's mice, actually), and I have my WAP sit very close to my computer (usually on a shelf right next to it). I would love to buy these, and I really like the idea of wireless, but I'd hate to lose signal while speaking.

Has anyone run into interference problems with these? I currently use a 2.4 GHz wireless mouse
(one of Logitech's mice, actually), and I have my WAP sit very close to my computer (usually on a shelf right next to it).
I would love to buy these, and I really like the idea of wireless, but I'd hate to lose signal while speaking.

I just ordered mine today. I can report on my experiences with it when I get it in if you want.
I do have quite a bit of music and games, but I'm by no means an audiophile or anything.

I've been watching this headset since I built my first PC in college but bought a cheap Gamecom 777 deal I found because I didn't think I could afford the Logitech G930 at the time.
I'm loving the new-ish price. The price crawled down to the point where I couldn't ignore it anymore. Wireless is just too tempting for that price.

I may not have a dedicated sound card, but I'm willing to forego that for convenient features at the right price. I can't wait to try these cans on. :p

I'm not an audiophile either...you will love these. They are great for some non picky audio guys :) Got mine about a month ago.

Back