Logitech G9 Mouse Coming soon

moetop

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok Just caught this on the gadget sites, and heres the link to Logitech's site.

$99 seems a bit much, but the ergonomics look like they would be better for me than the current generation. The right side looks like it flares out a bit where the current ones taper down and my pinky drags. Hopefully the "Interchangable grips" will make it better for bigger hands.

At $99 I wonder how many people are actualy considering one?

Yikes that design looks hideous! Yes, $99 seems extreme to me. At least the release of this ugly thing will bring down the price of their older models.

Hmmm it looks... interesting. Seems more like a Fataility mouse than the usual Logitech styling. Guess we'll have to wait and see how it performs, though.

Hmmm it looks... interesting. Seems more like a Fataility mouse than the usual Logitech styling. Guess we'll have to wait and see how it performs, though.

Pretty sure that the Fatal1ty mouse is modeled after a Logitech mouse of yesteryear.

i like how they're bringing the mousewheel "click" back, always loved having that feel

I might buy one at BestBuy when the come out and return it before 30 days are up. 3200 DPI... that's just plain superfluous. It will come down to a few things: the design of the grips, the mouse feet, the mouse cord and the scroll wheel. The tilt wheel on the G5 was the worse. The cord was too stiff (my year old G5 still has the kinks in it from being curled up in the original box). The mouse feet were unparalleled in slickness, smoothness and quietness on the G5, we'll have to see how they do it. We will also have to see how the interchangeable grips look. Seems like a far more useful customizable feature than the useless weights in the G5.

That looks like shit... :I

I still have no need to replace my mx518.

I might buy one at BestBuy when the come out and return it before 30 days are up. 3200 DPI... that's just plain superfluous. It will come down to a few things: the design of the grips, the mouse feet, the mouse cord and the scroll wheel. The tilt wheel on the G5 was the worse. The cord was too stiff (my year old G5 still has the kinks in it from being curled up in the original box). The mouse feet were unparalleled in slickness, smoothness and quietness on the G5, we'll have to see how they do it. We will also have to see how the interchangeable grips look. Seems like a far more useful customizable feature than the useless weights in the G5.
I really don't understand why logitech doesn't just release a special edition of the mx518 with the mouse feet and dpi indicator from the G series mice. Everything about the 518 was terrific, but those two additions/changes would make it even better. Of course, I would prefer a different look than the "dimpled metal", but the aesthetics are secondary.

As far as the G9 goes, I'm skeptical. Their laser technology in general just isn't all it's cracked up to be. I mean, it's neat to say you have a laser mouse, but it doesn't really do that much for you. I'll have to give it a test run at best buy and see how it feels in my hand, but I can't imagine spending $99 on a mouse: especially when I prefer logitech's older mx models.

I'm still waiting for a suitable replacement for my MX1000. This doesn't look like this will be it.

I really don't understand why logitech doesn't just release a special edition of the mx518 with the mouse feet and dpi indicator from the G series mice. Everything about the 518 was terrific, but those two additions/changes would make it even better. Of course, I would prefer a different look than the "dimpled metal", but the aesthetics are secondary.

They did. It's called the second generation G5.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/359&cl=us,en

whoa.. now that's a departure in form from the lineage of Logitech's meeces. I sure hope it's comfy because it looks like ass to me. lol.

Definately do not like the design. I'll reiterate the MX518 being the best so far, and I would love to have the added features. The second-gen G5 looks like something to consider - If it wasent laser! :(

Same here... MX518 rules... best blend of features/weight.

qft

That looks like shit... :I

I still have no need to replace my mx518.

I love my MX518 as well, but the one thing I dont like about it I allready mentioned
The right side looks like it flares out a bit where the current ones taper down and my pinky drags. Hopefully the "Interchangable grips" will make it better for bigger hands.

This is my only issue at the moment, and aside from it looking ugly it actualy does look like it will fit my hand better..

Sort of, except it has a laser sensor, adjustable weights, and a sidescrolling wheel which is awful for gaming. All features I have no need for, don't work as well, or I simply will never use and thus don't want to pay for. Not to mention it's the ugliest mouse logitech has ever produced. All I want is the mx518, exactly like it is now, with bigger feet and the dpi indicator. The only other change I would consider making is the removal of the scroll buttons, but I don't use those so they also don't bug me.

Yeah, My MX518 is still kickin strong (needs new feet tho), I don't like the ergonomics on this new mouse, I like everything about the MX518/G5, they don't need to change a winning combo.

I thought I had seen this "new" design before...

Behold!!

800px-Logitech_3_buttons_mouse.jpeg

Ok it's not exactly the same but it's eerily similar to me for some reason. :eek:

Wow that looks awful from a comfort standpoint. Who thought it would be a good idea to have hard edges on something your hand is supposed to rest on?

http://www.razerzone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_17&products_id=71

Razer answers with a 3G sensor from the DeathAdder in the Diamondback shell. Might be a good move, but there was nothing wrong with the DB sensor anyway. It would make more sense to put the infrared sensor into the Copperhead shell, since the laser in that was the cause of so many problems.

i wish it was the 3G in a copperhead shell. i really like how the copperhead feels in my hand.

i guess im the only one who thinks that new logitech mouse actually looks kina cool...whether or not its comfortable and performs well is another story...

Wow that looks awful from a comfort standpoint. Who thought it would be a good idea to have hard edges on something your hand is supposed to rest on?

well, it's no IME, but that old school Logitech frame was actually ok on the hand.. but I do like largish mice, personally.. anyways I am thinking this new G9 has to be comfortable otherwise they wouldn't make such a hideous thing. I am so not buying one though.. lol.. I have an MX510 on one machine and a DeathAdder on the other and I could not be happier with them.

Another vote for the MX518. Being going strong for a couple of years now.

Why is everyone complaining about laser??? I heard it's terrific!

Yeah, My MX518 is still kickin strong (needs new feet tho), I don't like the ergonomics on this new mouse, I like everything about the MX518/G5, they don't need to change a winning combo.

Until you actualy handle one I wouldent dismiss the ergonomics. That picture of the "paw" Mouseman was my main gaming mouse for quite some time, and it is still one of the best fitting for my hand. I have been threatining going back to it if it wernt for the resolution changing I can do with the MX518 I probably would have. I still have about 5 of them.

I thought I had seen this "new" design before...

Behold!!

*** Pic removed look above*******

Ok it's not exactly the same but it's eerily similar to me for some reason. :eek:

God I hope it fits my hand the same...

You dont even notice the edges, because your middle fingers are on buttons and your pinky and thumb are gripping the outside. Your palm never realy feels the edges because the mouse tapers at the back.

well, it's no IME, but that old school Logitech frame was actually ok on the hand.. but I do like largish mice, personally.. anyways I am thinking this new G9 has to be comfortable otherwise they wouldn't make such a hideous thing. I am so not buying one though.. lol.. I have an MX510 on one machine and a DeathAdder on the other and I could not be happier with them.

Actualy this shape was one of the first mice billed as a gaming mouse. Logitech wingman mouse. I am betting it will be comfortable, hopefully for biggerhands.

I just wish it was about $50 which is what a good quality wired mouse should cost.

I don't understand-why is everyone complaining about the laser?

All of the first generation laser mice suffer from (relatively) low failure speeds; they skip very easily if you whip the mouse quickly. They are not good for low sensitivity players in that regard because they more frequently have to do a whipping motion. Infrared and optical sensors can be moved essentially faster than anybody would ever move a mouse before their sensors fail.

Well, it looks hidious but ill save judgement till i feel one. I didnt exactly like the way my g5 looked, but the first time i wrapped my hand around it i had a handgasm. or something...

when it comes out ill probably drive down to best buy and see how it feels.

Looks like a pain to use but it should be comfortable with 3200 DPI.

Yeah, it can easily be disabled.

if the tilt can be eliminated i may just try one.
However this new mouse has my attention as well...but once again that damn tilt has to be turned off!
it may look like ass but if it handles fine and feels good in hand, im all over it....that sounded horrible

My first thought: "It looks like some shitty piece of electronics from the 80's"

My brother's first thought: "It looks like an electric razor"

Ugly as sin.

lol @ all the laser hate.

As with any Logitech mouse, you can customize every button and wheel setting through SetPoint, including the wheel tilt options. I used to have Alt+Left and Alt+Right bound to my tilt wheel so that I could go back/forth in firefox easily and use the side button for "close tab." Works well for me.

Back