Logitech G513 Carbon Mechanical Keyboard Reviewed

I'm still waiting on someone to give a legitimate reason why mechanical keyboards are such a fad now. Back in the early nineties basic keyboards were like that. I had one, and couldn't be happier to get rid of it. Loud, way to long key travel, and after the switches got worn some keys barely worked. So what do these modern ones offer, that make them so popular that people are willing to pay these outrageous sums for them?

I kinda agree. I admit I'm a sucker for cool, all lit up, gaming keyboards. Not because they're necessarily better than the basic membrane keyboard my wife uses but because they're more "fun" for lack of a better word. Cool feel to the keys, cool lights to fidget with, cool macros to tinker with. I'll never be convinced they work better than standard office keyboards tho.

That said, I'll probably end up buying one of these for those reasons, looks cool and has lots of cool things to play with on it.

Mechanical are the best no doubt using a moded orion spark with spectrum keycaps. I used a Razer ornata for about 2 month I liked it for typing but mushing the W key down was depresing fatigue set in unless the wrist rest wasn't good enough which I tried several. You can just graze the keycaps on a mechanical for a response to the game your playing.

The leather fake wrist rest seems good on this 513 I mean my logitech orion has a plastic one I have gorilla taped on cause it can detach. Corsair wrist rests can break as well the plastic hinges broke on me once luckily eBay had some extras.

Well aware that the G413 is the direct predecessor and the new version is a small update.

And the G413 had Romer-G switches with linear actuation, which apparently the reviewer didn't both with finding out. Also the G513 is not plastic caps where the etching wears, which was a problem the reviewer noted. So the major complaints from the reviewer are not even present in the G513. In addition, the reviewer mentioned the longevity should not be a problem, which is something you were saying.

So basically a fail.

Are the Romer-G switches really that bad? The design looks really smart. I'm not shopping for one, but it's fun to try different boards. Sometimes you get a pleasant surprise. e.g. I was very happy with a cheap Ducky board I picked up for a friend. It was MX Cherry Blue, and an absolute delight to type on.

No experience with Romer-G, but in Chyrosran22's review of the previous G413 model, he dismantles the Romer-G "tactile" and finds that they have 2 sets of contacts should the first one fail. So the switches themselves should be relatively reliable.

In addition, the reviewer mentioned the longevity should not be a problem, which is something you were saying.

So basically a fail.

QFT. 70 million cycles and features back-up contacts... from his own link. :facepalm:

$150 for a good keyboard isn't what I would consider outrageous. Some people just like the feel of mechanical switches, I do.
Considering that you can get a fairly good quality Logitech keyboard for like $10 I do find $150 to be outrageous. It's not that I'd not pay 150 if I felt it was justified. But I'm not willing to buy one blindly and find out that it's horrible for me.
I guess I'll never know.

I did a google search for "G513 double shot" and came up empty. So yes, there's certainly the potential for worn etchings. That said, in my experience this isn't a problem that Logitech keyboards tend to have. It's Razer that tends to get worn etchings. Likewise, it's Razer that has a history of bad switches. And Razer products, especially mice, have a tendency to disintegrate with use. Really, Razer is the worst of the bunch.

Logitech has a history of brittle and thin keycap stems that break around the end of the warranty period. This was endemic in the G710/+, and even the replacements Logitech sent out had the same issues despite claiming they were fixed. The G413 had a few common issues including poor tolerances on the keyboard stabiliser causing that key to catch during use for many. And their gaming mice have a tendency to wear out as well, albeit not to the extent of Razer.

The fail rate of LEDs on Corsair keyboards is legendary. Don't have enough experience with their mice to comment on them though.

Look, for all I know, the G513 is free from any of the usual corner cutting. I wouldn't bet $150 on that though. And there are better, cheaper options regardless. Ideally, I'd recommend a modular keyboard at this kind of price point because modern mechanical switches are less reliable than rubber domes and the rated life expectancy is derived from sterile laboratory conditions that aren't indicative of real world use. Admittedly, the extra set of contacts in Romer G probably helps to make that less of a concern (although that comes at the expense of ability to swap out for industry standard keycap and arguably key feel) but again, I wouldn't bet against something or other becoming an issue.

Last edited:
Considering that you can get a fairly good quality Logitech keyboard for like $10 I do find $150 to be outrageous. It's not that I'd not pay 150 if I felt it was justified. But I'm not willing to buy one blindly and find out that it's horrible for me.
I guess I'll never know.

There are useable cheap keyboards out there. Like anything else, build quality and features will drive price. This particular keyboard does seem light in those areas for the price.

You know what the best feature on a keyboard? Those volume rollers on the corsairs and high end logitechs when you take that thing away the whole keyboard is a downgrade.

You know what the best feature on a keyboard? Those volume rollers on the corsairs and high end logitechs when you take that thing away the whole keyboard is a downgrade.
I have one on my current keyboard, every once in a while I realize it's there, turn it up and down for fun a few times, then completely forget about it for a few weeks again.
It can be useful if you don't have any other means of adjusting the volume, but my dac is right there in front of me under the monitor where I can turn the volume knob.

Get the G413, the only thing the new one adds are individual RGB keys and the option for a linear switch, the G413 is also like $90 or $80.

I have the silver G413 ("white" LED lights and brushed, natural aluminum), it's super sturdy, heavy. I like the G-Romer keys too.

That is what I am currently using at home. It works like a champ and scored it on sale at Best Buy for $50.

Depends how you use your PC I suppose.
Its nice to have the immediate ability to quickly change volume levels when something unexpected happens.
My PC is used for multimedia duty in the living room.

Like your wife/GF walking in while your watching pron? :ROFLMAO:

No bells no whistles no macros.. comes with pretty crappy keycaps... cost $130 .. but is the best mechanical keyboard Filco Majestouch 2 TKL
mine is fitted with Vortex PBT double shot keycaps for another ~$30~ish from massdrop .... I'd have the filco all day everyday.. mine is 3~yrs old or so now.

deskJan16.jpg

No bells no whistles no macros.. comes with pretty crappy keycaps... cost $130 .. but is the best mechanical keyboard Filco Majestouch 2 TKL
mine is fitted with Vortex PBT double shot keycaps for another ~$30~ish from massdrop .... I'd have the filco all day everyday.. mine is 3~yrs old or so now.

View attachment 76111
Had to like only because that is damn beautiful setup!

At that price point, I feel as if it should have dedicated volume and mute controls, ala K70.

...and be a little bit lighter in price, since the market is flooded with almost every major, minor, and never-heard-of-before brands offering mech KBs.

Some of us don't want keyboards that have volume controls and other bullshit. We just want out 104 keys and that's it. Keyboards like the one in question are made because they sell well enough to justify their existence. There are plenty of options on the market that are more in line with stuff like the K70. Frankly, Logitech has too many options that fit that description and not enough elegant or classic inspired designs. Those extra media keys, headphone jacks and USB ports don't interest me. I'll even pay more to get a model devoid of functionality I didn't ask for and don't feel I need. One thing that's always bothered me is the cheap feel of those media keys after using the standard keys. That's just one of my issues with such designs.

Last edited:
Some of us don't want keyboards that have volume controls and other bullshit. We just want out 104 keys and that's it. Keyboards like the one in question are made because they sell well enough to justify that. There are plenty of options on the market that are more in line with stuff like the K70. However, those don't interest me and never have. I'll even pay more to get a model devoid of functionality I didn't ask for and don't feel I need. One thing that's always bothered me is the cheap feel of those media keys after using the standard keys. That's just one of my issues with such designs.

I have to agree. With so much diversity in the pc arena there ought to be enough market for all to allow for the right tool for the right job approach. I've mostly been in a kind of 'make do' state of mind with the keyboards I have but this one did grab my attention and I've got a number of logitech keyboards/mice.

I'm still waiting on someone to give a legitimate reason why mechanical keyboards are such a fad now. Back in the early nineties basic keyboards were like that. I had one, and couldn't be happier to get rid of it. Loud, way to long key travel, and after the switches got worn some keys barely worked. So what do these modern ones offer, that make them so popular that people are willing to pay these outrageous sums for them?
Because the keyboards that were getting mass produced in the early 90's were cheaply made pieces of shit that frankly weren't much better than the typical $5 membrane keyboard today. As other people have mentioned, you need to think back further, try the 80's when they were built like tanks and generally speaking still work fine today... connectivity issues aside.

Depends how you use your PC I suppose.
Its nice to have the immediate ability to quickly change volume levels when something unexpected happens.
My PC is used for multimedia duty in the living room.

I can hit the FN+F9 on my keyboard pretty fast if I need to. I don't need dedicated media control keys. The FN+Function key works well enough for any of that without being an aesthetic disaster. Obviously, that media keys being unappealing aesthetically is nothing more than my subjective opinion, but I've had keyboards that have had them and I've never missed them when switching to keyboards that lack them.

There are several reasons for this which I'm fairly certain have been explained before on this forum. I'm reasonably certain I've explained it before. There are two reasons for this. 1.) People like the way mechanical keyboards feel compared to membrane based keyboards. Reliability and other perceived advantages aside, they provide a nicer typing experience. Someone who just plays games or just does web browsing or may not type very often will probably have a harder time appreciating this. 2.) Such keyboards have been marketed towards gamers, who will spend money on nicer hardware for a variety of reasons which I could get into if you find it necessary.

The short version is that gamers will buy anything that's nice or offers a perceived advantage. I refute any nonsense about mechanical keyboards being better for gaming. I don't think that they are, even though I hate membrane based shitboards with a passion. They are simply nicer to type on. The key presses are more satisfying and mechanical keyboards don't show increased wear on more frequently used keys like membrane units do. Some people don't seem to notice this, but it bothers me. Keys I don't use very often on membrane keyboards feel fine. Keys I use constantly start feeling different after a few months of use. However, I type a considerable amount more than the average person so I may be much more sensitive to this than others.

I guess I'll never know.

A $10 Logitech keyboard is serviceable. It is not good quality. $150 is a lot of money to spend on a keyboard considering where the price range for a basic keyboard begins. However, for those who appreciate such keyboards the price is largely inconsequential. Many mechanical keyboard owners have more than one and would buy one again without a second of hesitation if forced to do it again.

Some of us don't want keyboards that have volume controls and other bullshit. We just want out 104 keys and that's it. Keyboards like the one in question are made because they sell well enough to justify their existence. There are plenty of options on the market that are more in line with stuff like the K70. Frankly, Logitech has too many options that fit that description and not enough elegant or classic inspired designs. Those extra media keys, headphone jacks and USB ports don't interest me. I'll even pay more to get a model devoid of functionality I didn't ask for and don't feel I need. One thing that's always bothered me is the cheap feel of those media keys after using the standard keys. That's just one of my issues with such designs.

That's precisely why I chose the K70. I did want basic media keys (volume and mute only) and the metal barrel roller of a volume mechanism drew me right to that particular KB.

I see your point, however. For those that don't want/need such extra controls, then it becomes scratched off the short list of possibilities...

That's precisely why I chose the K70. I did want basic media keys (volume and mute only) and the metal barrel roller of a volume mechanism drew me right to that particular KB.

I see your point, however. For those that don't want/need such extra controls, then it becomes scratched off the short list of possibilities...

I have a K70 as well. I bought it because it checked off a lot of features I did want. The aluminum body, the non-recessed keys, Cherry MX Blue switches, backlighting etc. However, I went to the Glorious PC Gaming Race unit which was identical from a feature perspective without the media keys and I was very pleased. However, I would have preferred an RGB version instead of the pure red one. I did pick up that $28 one on Amazon that's similar, but it emits the worst electronic whine you can imagine. Its a shame because the build quality and feel are superb, especially for the price.

Because the keyboards that were getting mass produced in the early 90's were cheaply made pieces of shit that frankly weren't much better than the typical $5 membrane keyboard today. As other people have mentioned, you need to think back further, try the 80's when they were built like tanks and generally speaking still work fine today... connectivity issues aside.
I have one that has an AT connector and still works today. And I can connect it to most modern PCs trough a AT->PS2 cable, but I'm not sure I'd prefer it over a new cheap membrane keyboard, even putting aside the color scheme issues.

I have one that has an AT connector and still works today. And I can connect it to most modern PCs trough a AT->PS2 cable, but I'm not sure I'd prefer it over a new cheap membrane keyboard, even putting aside the color scheme issues.
Well, the good news is that the broad range of products today allows for a wide variety in what people can get to fit their personal tastes. A lot of people prefer various types of mechanical switches for a number of reasons. Additionally, you can get various media controls, 20 keys to control everything, a dozen macro keys, a volume knob/wheel/slider/nothing,a half dozen layouts considered "normal", and so on.

As far as a "legitimate reason they're such a fad now", again, consumer choice. Some people who type all day long(could be due to a job, or just derping around on the internet) prefer them(myself included). I haven't had a mech KB crap out other than something dumb happening like dumping a soda on it by accident, I have had rubber dome keyboards get annoyingly mushy after just a couple of years making a noticeable impact on typing. As far as the "way too long key travel" that just doesn't make much sense, because most of the popular mech switch keyboards don't require full travel of the key, and as a result aren't particularly loud either(blues and similar aside), unless the user is just hammering on the keys for no reason(most people just don't know any better). Plus, if you are concerned about switch over-travel, you can actually just get some cheap o-rings(no, not one of those silly overpriced bags of keyboard "silencers" either, I mean $2 for a bag of 50 o-rings cheap) and limit the travel to the actuation point or just beyond if you want. Regarding price, they're all over the place. You can get mechanical switch keyboards from $50-$300... if you're willing to ignore the too fast too furious tokyo drift RGB LEDs and a half dozen macro keys most people never make use of, you can actually get a quality mech keyboard for under $100 pretty easily. "but $100>$10" which is true, but when you spend hours typing on the thing every day, $100 over the course of a few years isn't a big deal.

Hell, even this logitech G513 keyboard that this thread is for. The logitech K840 is basically the same thing except without the RGB and can be had for $70.

Meh, maybe I'm just spoiled from having a K90 and now a K95 Platinum but this Logitech just isn't blowing my skirt up. Kind of feels like Logitech missed the boat on the high-end keyboard market after the G15.

Meh, maybe I'm just spoiled from having a K90 and now a K95 Platinum but this Logitech just isn't blowing my skirt up. Kind of feels like Logitech missed the boat on the high-end keyboard market after the G15.

Logitech may not have something as good as the K95 if you are into what that product has to offer. However, this keyboard isn't intended for the customer who wants all that bullshit on their keyboard. It's intended for people like me and from what I can see, Logitech did a good job in creating something that appeals to people like me.

So I needed a new keyboard anyway and with all of this talk of keyboards and a sell at Best Buy on the K95 Platinum for 169.99, same price on Amazon new, I picked on up today. Will take a little getting used to but love the feel of the thing. And I'm on of those guys that likes the media function keys.

So I needed a new keyboard anyway and with all of this talk of keyboards and a sell at Best Buy on the K95 Platinum for 169.99, same price on Amazon new, I picked on up today. Will take a little getting used to but love the feel of the thing. And I'm on of those guys that likes the media function keys.

Corsair's higher end models are nice if you like that sort of thing. I can't stand the CUE software though. That licks a Rhino's ass after it's had the runs.

Back