• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Logisys? Any good, or explosive Junk?

eastpetersen

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 7, 2008
Messages
277
I have been using logisys psus for a couple years now, mainly as replacements in emachines and dells. I do have a couple systems I built with this psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170017
Most of the systems I built draw less than 300w, and I have never had any die on me in two years. My mind was set on Logisys being decent low end psus but lately it seems like everyone just dismisses them as junk. So are these really junk or are they just viewed as too cheap to be good, 30 bucks for a 575w w/free shipping. I have looked everywhere for reviews over the last year but just can't find any that actually apply, there are positive reviews of the new 650w but not very thorough. I want to know this more for past reference than future reference, basically don't tell me to just buy corsair(it's in the mail), i want to know if I have to worry about the systems I built.
 
my guess is that "575w" psu is really about equal to a quality 350-400w psu, I made a mistake once skimping on a psu in my first build, a Powmax Assassin for $25 with a $25 rebate which ended up assassinating itself within 9 months, not only was I sans psu, I was also sans rebate, a $25 life lesson that I have made a point to never forget...

this Antec Earthwatts 380w is probably as good or better than that Logysis "575w", at 380w it even has more amps on the two 12v rails than the 575w Logysis has on it's one 12v rail, weird huh...?
 
I bought a logisys power supply from New Egg (I think the one you are talking about) and when I got it the SATA power leads did not work. Then after a few days the thing blew up on me. In my opinion they are very cheaply made. I would stay away from them if I were you.
 
A few easy ways to tell that a power supply is crap (ignoring the brand and price): -5V rail inclusion, multiple 80mm fans, less than ~80% of power on 12V rails (~50% in this case).
 
The PSU is probably the single most thing you don't want to be stingy about.
 
. So are these really junk or are they just viewed as too cheap to be good, 30 bucks for a 575w w/free shipping.

No they really are junk. That "575W" PSU only has 25A on the +12V rail. I know of a 380W PSU that has more power than that on the +12V rail as wol-va-rine noted. So for all the reasons that Blue Fox listed and the fact that Youngyear makes some of their PSUs, Logisys PSUs are crap.

FYI, Youngyear makes some of the worst PSUs out there. The fact that Logisys uses them to make their PSUs should tell you something.
 
a Powmax Assassin for $25 with a $25 rebate which ended up assassinating itself within 9 months,

I had a cheap powmax that came with a case. Just for grins I wanted to try this "400W beast" on an old P4 build I was getting rid of. It popped before POST was done. I'd say 9 months out of yours was luck.
 
Well... I'd rather use a Logisys than a POWMAX, but ideally I would never find either in my case (or even my house).
 
I had a cheap powmax that came with a case. Just for grins I wanted to try this "400W beast" on an old P4 build I was getting rid of. It popped before POST was done. I'd say 9 months out of yours was luck.

yeah, that was before I realized how important the psu is, I was more fixated on the "sexy" parts of the build, mobo, memory, video card, etc., and decided a "free" (after MIR, which I never received) psu was a good way to save $$ on my build, I got a 500w Antec Basiq off craigslist for $30 the next day and it's still going strong, I just replaced it in my main rig with a 650w True Power Trio I got off of craigslist as well (it was installed in a Coolermaster Mystique that I got for $50)...
 
Anything manufactured by Seasonic (including corsair) are the best power supplies you can buy, period.
 
I'm familiar with other good options, For gaming rigs I don't use these, and I didn't realize how cheap the earthwatts had gotten though love those things, Its just I've been running some of these supplies for in excess of 2 years and have used at least ten of them, and never had any problems, maybe I've just been really lucky, I plan to stay away from them in the future since the price difference is so small these days, and I never really looked to closely at the specs becuase I wasn't putting them in anything that drew anywhere near the 575w, always figured them as 400w. Crazy though because i had an antec trupower 2.0 550 die on me as well as three cooler masters, and never had one of these die on me, also had a coolmax die on me and was expected, only reason I bought it was I thought it was Cooler Master, that was in my early days of system building.
 
If you tend to go through power supplies, you might want to get some sort of power filtering in addition to PFC, like a filtering surge protector.
 
Back
Top