Login to user acount

Hey guys,
I have a home network set up and I wanted to know how to login to user accounts from my networked pc's? I dont mean remote desktop. Do I need a domain to do this? :confused:
-thanks

thefewtheproud said:
how do you do this?
Magic.

That many of us spend years learning. That would be a non-trivial attempt to explain in a single post.

My advice to you is to go read. For the more immediate situation, just make user accounts on both systems with the same password and you should be set.

We have a few people asking some million dollar questions this week... lol

It really is difficult to explain in one post

yea i know. I was thinking about bying a pc and installing windows server 2003 on it in order to create a domain. My reason for doing this is that i want to be able to access the same user account from all my networked pc's.

thefewtheproud said:
yea i know. I was thinking about bying a pc and installing windows server 2003 on it in order to create a domain. My reason for doing this is that i want to be able to access the same user account from all my networked pc's.
$1000+ bucks for what you want on a home network is a bit much.

Just setup matching user accounts with matching passwords on all the computers ( unless we are talking about a house with 10+ computers ), and be done with it.

And you already have a qualifying Windows 2000 Server to use the 2003 upgrade with?

You know thats just a 5 pack of Client Access Licenses right, it only allows you to add 5 more users to an existing server. If you actually looking for a server os, you'll need this.

oh, i was thinking that was not the right thing. Can i just get one license for cheaper? Could i use xp pro for setting up a domain instead of this?

Nope, seems that the minimum amount of licenses you can get with a server is 5, and no, you need a server os to host a domain. If your in college, theres a possibility you can go through the msdnaa program and get a copy of server 2k3 enterprise edition for free, only thing is your supposed to only use it for education purposes.

Well, you could can get sbs from here too. ;)

But seriously, you could use linux for something similar to this too. You could setup Fedora LDAP, however, you would not have roaming profiles (i think) and no group policies. But you could investigate that.

Oh, there is another way. All you have to do is have a server with a folder shared on it. Create a user account on all the machines. Then, take one of them and copy the profile files to the server share. Then point the accounts on all the machines to the files on that share. Follow this guide to do that. Hope this helps.

thefewtheproud said:
what dont you like about sbs?
It's of little value and no use to business clients ( doesn't really matter the size ). Therefore I haven't worked with it much, so it doesn't spring to mind.

jbog91 said:
Oh, there is another way. All you have to do is have a server with a folder shared on it. Create a user account on all the machines. Then, take one of them and copy the profile files to the server share. Then point the accounts on all the machines to the files on that share. Follow this guide to do that. Hope this helps.

My pc wont let me make the acounts roaming. the option is greyed out. Is this because my os is media center?

Get on ebay.... you should be able to find 2k server for cheap. OR NT4... no AD, but it still works FINE for what you want to do with it. I've heard of people picking it up for around $25.

thefewtheproud said:
My pc wont let me make the acounts roaming. the option is greyed out. Is this because my os is media center?
You need XP Pro in order to join a domain or use the profile roaming option. A domain won't do you any good if you can't join it.

EDIT: I have found a way to 'hack' your windows version to allow you to join a domain. I don't know if this will allow you to try the roaming profile trick but you can see.

http://www.combobulate.com/node/18?PHPSESSID=5c42d251e7fbf4a9f94cd93bb8164392
http://www.tss2000.nl/vbforum/showthread.php?t=50

Back