Login problem with Windows XP

ml1209

Limp Gawd
Local pawn shop has a laptop I am interested in getting. It's a HP 6730s. They are offering it for $299. However, they do not have the username or password to log into Windows XP. Is there a way for me to bypass that so I can what is on the laptop?

There are a bunch of free utilities you can use to reset the admin password. Google it, you'll find something.

Can't you rename the sam file and log in as Administrator with no password? I think that still works...

Just boot to a live CD and rename C:\Windows\System32\SAM to something else. When you start the machine you'll find the Administrator account has no password.

While you're renaming the file, you can also grab a copy of it and use one of the many tools to reverse engineer the SAM file to get the passwords back. Once you have the passwords you can put the SAM file back and you'll know how to get in.

In all honesty, if I were buying a PC from a pawn shop -- I would definitely reinstall XP. But regardless of your choice, there is always a way to get into a machine if you have physical access to it.

It has been my experience that if it is Windows XP Home, 99% of peeps don't even have an administrator password. reboot in safe mode and see if you are able to get in without a password. if so, then go to users and delete the passwords for all the users listed, then you have full, unrestricted access. Just my $.02

Fish :cool:

You wouold trust an OS on a laptop from a pawn shop? safer to reload it

Back