Logging into domain vs local computer??

Tolem

n00b
What is the difference between logging into the local computer / logging into the domain if both ways say they are connected to the domain (via the "Computer Name" info screen).

Im not using roaming profiles, the main reason these workstations are on the domain is so they have trusted access to the share drives / servers.

The reason this issue came up is because I have a few windows 7 workstations that dont "remember" that they were last logged into the domain so when you boot up some users are just logging into the local computer instead.

This all depends largely on your domain setup and permissions, etc.

But logging into the local computer itself may restrict access from those network drives you were talking about. If there are login scripts that run on login those won't run when logging in locally either. This is something you'll have to ask your network admin about though.

Two main differences; when you login to the domain, you are utilizing the domain's login account, and running the domain's user GPOs.

When you login to the local system, you are using a local system account and utilizing the local workstation's user GPOs.

Local user accounts may not have access to domain resources ( well, they don't. But if they are named the same as a domain account, with the same password, then it'll work ).

Why can your users log into thiee machines locally? I setup the admin acount on our local machines then have tge users log into the domain. If tgey use the domain its easuer to troubleshoot issues. Only a few can install their own apps most cannot. I also map thier docs to a network drive.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

""remember" that they were last logged into the domain so when you boot up some users are just logging into the local computer instead."
That only works if you have the same exact local username setup with the same password...why do the domain users have a local account setup?
Access to the share drives and servers is by the users domain account, thats why they need to log in as a domain user, and domain users can only log into domain computers, not a new PC from Best Buy with there domain account.

Back