Locomotion control idea?

bluesynk

Limp Gawd
So I've been waiting on the tax man to get my Vive. Spent lots of time thinking about it, even made myself an overhead cable trolley system. Been watching demos and gameplay and such. Locomotion seems to be one of those areas that could use some help. I thought about what was required and I've had an idea but without a lot of seat time and no programming skills I thought i'd throw it out for anyone to grab.

Controls need to be quick and responsive.
(going back to d pads from a mouse is not ideal)
Motion cannot induce instant vomit.
(acceleration not experienced physically makes you sick)

Putting these together I started thinking about racing games. Everyone of us has "leaned into the corner". Its automatic, highly reflexive but with directional control. Sound familiar?

So what if when the controller is squeezed and the player leaned into the direction they need to move? The more you lean the faster you go, or head is walk shoulder too is run. The zero point is wherever the head was when triggered. 3d movement can be added from view direction depending on gameplay. These are already actions we make, semi-autonomously, so it should feel more natural and possibly helping the nausea as you ARE moving in the correct direction (just at a different scale without moving your feet so...)

I am sure to be oversimplifying here but does it sound like anything? Or should I just get used to this teleport mechanic?

Interesting, might be worth posting to /r/Vive where you'll get more responses than here.

Post a photo of your cable management!

You're going to love the Vive.

See that is an interesting idea but from my experience the number one cause is unexpected movement as the cause of motion sickness. So up and down movement is more of an issue than side to side. Real world movement can alleviate it somewhat by swinging your arms or walking in place physically. I noticed it easily in H3VR now that it has a whole lot of movement options. Arm swinging mode definitely makes you think you must look like an idiot in the real world, but it really is quite interesting that it fixes a lot of the motion uneasiness I feel during movement. In dpad mode or onward mode, I can still get an initial uneasiness feeling at the start of movement but it only lasts about a second. If I feel any kind of lingering motion issues in that mode I can just march in place as I move and it alleviates it.

Flight sims and race sims though are both bigger issues for me. In flight sims, straight level flight is absolutely fine so are slow low angle turns, but diving, barrel rolls, hard banking turns and motion sickness comes on rather quickly. Similarly in Race Sims, leaning into it helps a bit, but there are times you don't/can't and those are the parts that can induce it for me. For example, I was practicing on the nurburing track in Project Cars, and it seems fine, but then I spun out and I started feeling nauseous but I soldiered through it then spun out again shortly after and I had to stop cause I thought I would throw up all over my steering wheel. Also rapid uphill and downhill can cause the same issue (and rather quickly for me) especially in the go kart parts of Project Cars.

So I've been waiting on the tax man to get my Vive. Spent lots of time thinking about it, even made myself an overhead cable trolley system. Been watching demos and gameplay and such. Locomotion seems to be one of those areas that could use some help. I thought about what was required and I've had an idea but without a lot of seat time and no programming skills I thought i'd throw it out for anyone to grab.

Controls need to be quick and responsive.
(going back to d pads from a mouse is not ideal)
Motion cannot induce instant vomit.
(acceleration not experienced physically makes you sick)

Putting these together I started thinking about racing games. Everyone of us has "leaned into the corner". Its automatic, highly reflexive but with directional control. Sound familiar?

So what if when the controller is squeezed and the player leaned into the direction they need to move? The more you lean the faster you go, or head is walk shoulder too is run. The zero point is wherever the head was when triggered. 3d movement can be added from view direction depending on gameplay. These are already actions we make, semi-autonomously, so it should feel more natural and possibly helping the nausea as you ARE moving in the correct direction (just at a different scale without moving your feet so...)

I am sure to be oversimplifying here but does it sound like anything? Or should I just get used to this teleport mechanic?
I don't play the teleport games. Most are coming with toggles for teleport up to full motion which is the way to go.

Whatever helps VR is good!

I am also now playing robo recall even though its teleport. Fun game!

Back