Locks up when playing games (AGP)

I just upgraded to a 256mb x700 from 64mb 9000pro. I know, I know. Well it runs fine doing desktop things. But when i play games it locks up my computer. The screen freezes and the music sounds like a record skipping if it was turning 10rpm. It differs from game to game. Outrun 2006 and Most Wanted Black will lock up in 2mins or less. Microsoft's Dungeon Siege I got 35mins of play before it did the same thing.

I have the card's fan running at 75 and the GPU sits at a nice 50c, according to GPU-z. I did use the ati driver removable thing. But when i put my old card back in everything runs fine. I even when as far as upping the volts alittle to the x700

You could have either A) a defective X700 or B) a PSU that can't handle the x700.

I fail at life. I didn't follow one of my rules. Just because the heatsink looks clean don't mean it is. I hook my remote temp probe to it and the temps starts to jump to 60c and higher. Now after i cleaned it, idle sits at 47c. About to do some testing now.

Problem number two, my PCI cards butts right up next to the intake fan. Oh well at least i know it works

you just upgraded to an x700? what year is this? lol. I used one of those cards back in 2004. :eek:

60C doesn't sound very hot at all though.

Back