loading win7 in ssd

CHECKUP

Limp Gawd
i have presently a 300 velociraptor with the vista 64 ultimate and games. for some reason win7 will not upgrade my vista. i would like to install a ssd drive and load win7 64 on that. will i still have access to my 300gb velociraptor programs and games. doing a clean install would be very labor intensive to recoup my existing software.

You'll be able to view the files/program folders by going to the hard drive in My Computer. You just won't be able to run most of them because they're not installed.

What error are you getting during the Upgrade?

If you must do an upgrade, you'll need to close the existing Vista install to the SSD then run the upgrade.

If you're thinking that you can install Win7 to your SSD, and still run programs installed, under Vista, on your VR300, then you are mistaken. It basically doesn't work that way. None of the registry setting, etc., are going to be available under Win7, so most things will complain. You must reinstall everything, whether you enjoy that option or not.
If you must do an upgrade, you'll need to close the existing Vista install to the SSD then run the upgrade.
I presume this means "clone" the existing drive.

Yep, and even just cloning to the SSD is a bad idea, since Win7 has all the optimizations and partition alignments that help SSD performance and are a pain to do under Vista, pre-done for you on a clean install.

Back