Loading/Forcing a Bios

MISMCSA

2[H]4U
I have a pre-built system (Asus Essentio), which comes withe an P5QL-VM EPU mobo. Asus has a custom bios for this pre-built machine, which has basic/limited bios options. I tried to update the boards bios, through the provided utility, with the latest bios for the P5QL-VM. I received an error they were incompatible, which I'm sure stems from its pre-built status.

Is there a way for me to force the P5QL-VM EPU stock bios, over this modified one?

If you unzip/expand the bios download there should have been a program to burn the actual separate bios file. Most of them will accept command line options to force a flash. Just type the program name by itself and usually you can get a help screen or Google it for command line options.

This means a floppy or flash drive set up as a boot disk or boot CD with needed files will have to be available.

You stand a decent chance of bricking your board.

You stand a decent chance of bricking your board.

+1

Supermicro picked up the tab for my life learning experience. IIRC bricked an 820 trying to use an 815 BIOS. It loaded, and then it died hard. I thought, eh, what's 5 points between boards. :D Glad RMA worked.

I didn't brick it, but it also didn't work so well. Perhaps they disabled aspects of the hardware when they used this mobo for pre-built systems. I reflashed to the previous bios, and everything is back to normal. I figured it was worth a shot, since if I did brick it, it's pretty cheap to replace ~ $40. Learned a lot in the process, so I'll classify it as a positive failure.

Back