Llano + 1600x900 + <= 14"

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
Title says it all. My dream laptop is a 14" Llano based 1600X900 screen'd 5lb-er. Has anybody seen one?

I can't stand the standard 1366x768 that's on pretty well all laptops today. Its not enough space to do anything,

I'd like to keep it under $1200 (CAD, that's $1215.19 to you yanks :p) but I'll spend upward of that if need be.

thanks for any help.

Doesn't exist, and probably never will, seeing as Llano is a budget platform and 1600x900 displays at that size are typically found only in higher-end notebooks.

bump, I've got the slightest glimmer of hope that Lenovo's 425 might be revved to a 425s with a 1440x900 or 1600x900 screen, which I'd be more than happy with.

Also Sony might do it, looking into their newer laptops they've done lots of things with high-res screens. The last Vaio I owned I played Age of Empires 3 on, so maybe its time I bought myself a Vaio.

Still nothing confirmed though, I think Zero82 might be right.

What do you guys think of the idea though? Am I crazy in asking for a product like this?

I don't think Sony will do so, despite almost completely dropping nVidia GPU in favor of AMD GPU this gen... The only chance of this happening is under a new extension of the Vaio S 2011 line, IMO, as it already has the right TDP headroom (i7 full power + HD6630m + 13.3" 1600x900), among other factors. I don't recall any current Sony 14" laptops. Though, probably, they will wait on a better CPUside before making the jump to something that is almost clearly a budget gaming platform... (on a laptop line that starts above 800usd, iirc)

..HP Envy 14 w/radiance? That's all I can think of

my hope is that hp releases a refreshed envy 14/15 in 2012 with the new bulldozer core powered trinity + discrete graphics. That should be very doable, use the time now to secure another supplier of a higher quality 1600x900 14.5" screen.

Place a higher capacity battery inside the laptop. Allow the disc drive to be swapped out for an SSD drive, the slit would stay for cost reasons, but the space internally would be used for something more useful (if the drive is not even blu ray, wtf is the point?)

my hope is that hp releases a refreshed envy 14/15 in 2012 with the new bulldozer core powered trinity + discrete graphics. That should be very doable, use the time now to secure another supplier of a higher quality 1600x900 14.5" screen.

I wouldn't count on that. Word has it that HP is getting out of the mobile consumer market.

The HP Probook 6465B should fit the bill. You'll have to use their system config, which really drives the cost up compared to their standard models.

I just did a quick config, and have an A8 with the 9 cell battery, a1600x900 screen and 3 year warranty coming in at $1227. That's with dropping the HD to 250gb and the ram to 2gb. Still north of what I'd be willing to spend, but near enough if you're really interested. Oh, and without a copy of Windows, too. But with all of the student deals for Windows, who doesn't have a few extra keys?

The HP Probook 6465B should fit the bill. You'll have to use their system config, which really drives the cost up compared to their standard models.

I just did a quick config, and have an A8 with the 9 cell battery, a1600x900 screen and 3 year warranty coming in at $1227. That's with dropping the HD to 250gb and the ram to 2gb. Still north of what I'd be willing to spend, but near enough if you're really interested. Oh, and without a copy of Windows, too. But with all of the student deals for Windows, who doesn't have a few extra keys?

wow, i'm blown away...

but where did you do all this configuration? On their online store all I can seem to buy is the prebuilt packages?

cheers,

edit:
found it, the worst part about HP is their web-site:
link

Last edited:
Has anybody here owned a probook?

My main concern is the chassis, is it made of more than cheap plastic? Considering the starting prices I can't imagine that its much better...

Last edited:
Back