• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Little help?

Gambrinus

n00b
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
53
OK, I'm new to folding. I just built a new rig, Phenom II (six cores!), with a Radeon 5770. I have the smp client running thanks to Zero82z's awesome guide, but I'm wondering - is it possible to run a GPU client along with the smp client? Is that worth doing? Is there a FAQ that I missed that spells all this out for me? Sorry for the noob questions, I just can't figure this stuff out.
 
Yes, it is possible to run both SMP and GPU clients simultaneously. I don't have an ATI gpu in any of my boxen (all 2 of them), so I don't know what the present state of the ATI client is, but last I heard it was kinda meh. Hopefully someone else around here who knows the "red team" a little better can give you some better advice on whether it's worth it.
 
OK, I'm new to folding. I just built a new rig, Phenom II (six cores!), with a Radeon 5770. I have the smp client running thanks to Zero82z's awesome guide, but I'm wondering - is it possible to run a GPU client along with the smp client? Is that worth doing? Is there a FAQ that I missed that spells all this out for me? Sorry for the noob questions, I just can't figure this stuff out.

Yes it is possible, but most here advise against it. Especially if you are going to fold -bigadv units. The ATI GPU client uses a lot of the CPU cycles. So it reduceds your CPU production, eats extra electricity, and produces more heat.

Nice rig BTW. Congrats and welcome!
 
If you has a higher end nVidia card, it probably would be worth running a GPU client. With your ATI, it will not be...yet. Hopefully something breaks soon on a new client that will make it worth it. Stayed tuned...
 
I also have a Phenom II x6 and a 5770. Good stuff, but yeah, stick with SMP only til us ATI folders get a better client. *crosses fingers and holds out hope*
 
Back
Top