List Vista's issues/annoyances!

Dario D.

Gawd
Can everyone list all the Vista issues/annoyances/etc you can think of? (Examples: Folders are unable to remember their view settings for very long... Dragging folders around in the start menu, under All Programs, is iffy)

I'm wondering how much junk has lasted through 2 years of Windows Updates, never to be addressed.

Last edited:
I'll start with a couple that jump to mind (the ones listed above), since they bothered me on a regular basis:

- Folders randomly forget their view settings (such as 'Thumbnail', 'List', etc) after a while
- Dragging folders around in the Start Menu (under All Programs) doesn't work like you'd expect

What would be even more fun is listing the reasons why Vista is better than XP.

And just so you know, managing the start menu is supposed to be done through windows explorer. It's a lot easier that way ace.;)

Vista issues/annoyances/etc:

-It's not Windows 7.

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

What would be even more fun is listing the reasons why Vista is better than XP.

And just so you know, managing the start menu is supposed to be done through windows explorer. It's a lot easier that way ace.;)

That list would be too big. It's best just to install Win7 and enjoy life.

Honestly though, I can't think of anything against Vista (maybe a little bit too much disk thrashing at startup?), but I can think of a lot of reasons why Vista was (and still it) better than XP.

Issues:

This whole, Apple-fueled notion that Vista is fundamentally broken and just like Windows ME.

Issues:

This whole, Apple-fueled notion that Vista is fundamentally broken and just like Windows ME.

Pretty sure most of the people behind the "Vista is fundamentally broken" mentality are mostly XP users.

Pretty sure most of the people behind the "Vista is fundamentally broken" mentality are mostly XP users.
True that... but that isn't to say that the Mac user-base in nearly its entirety doesn't blow the "Vista is broken" horn... just that the skeptical XP users outnumber them many times over.

It seems the only people who understand Vista properly are the ones who use it.

Last edited:
Yeah, at work, a lot of users tell me they don't like Vista because the Microsoft Office formats are not compatible with XP.

I smack my forehead and walk away.

Vista seemes to not play well with my laptops.

They run hotter (definately), but do maintain a slight lead in useable battery life over XP.

I'm kinda horrible, so I reimage my computers every two months. In a silly bit of nostalgia, I reinstalled XP after 2ish months of Vista....

XP = horrid crap for multitasking (my useage patterns, anyhow)
Vista64 = at least good at it.
7 = pristine.

Vista... just the 'hot laptop' issue for me.

I fixed the window view thing in Vista a long time ago and it never broke again.

What bugged me about Vista.. hmm...

- That giant sea green area on the left of Control Panel (in classic view). Useless.
- hmm.. that's really all I can think of.

In fact I *miss* Vista over Win7 because in Win7 they pretty much took the windowing system and did hari-kari on it, removing all of the nice functionality it used to have. People whined about Vista having a bugged window view, so in Win7 they simply yanked it all out. Every window opens the same size in arbitrary locations. Brilliant!

(I hate it)

Don't even get me started with Control Panel and the various slide panels that are all different sizes.

ugh...

some of the other stuff I could stand, but the lack of decent icons in the 7 Control Panel really irks me.

I mean... yeah... I can get a 'large list'... but it isn't the same, for me. (I liked 95-Vista's way of portraying the 'Classic" control panel - with the big icons, and small text underneath).

The only thing I don't get about vista is why it takes up so much more disk space than 7 for the base install. A vista sp2 install takes up like 16gb. A win7 install is like 8gb.

I've heard people say it's because of the shadow copy and system protection, but even if you turn off system protection is still uses the same amount of space.

Now I know everyone is just going to respond "disk space is cheap, who cares?" but don't you think its still odd that vista is so much bigger?

The only thing I don't get about vista is why it takes up so much more disk space than 7 for the base install. A vista sp2 install takes up like 16gb. A win7 install is like 8gb.

I've heard people say it's because of the shadow copy and system protection, but even if you turn off system protection is still uses the same amount of space.

Now I know everyone is just going to respond "disk space is cheap, who cares?" but don't you think its still odd that vista is so much bigger?

WinSxS? (side by side) is all I can think of.

The x64 install sizes are bigger, too.

It doesn't run as nice on not so great hardware. It's the one thing I hate about my Laptop, it's slow with Vista, nice and perky with 7.

If this thread isn't pure flamebait I'm not sure what the definition truly is!

Back