Linux v7 client

Mtnduey

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2013/Nov. 2014
so...i've missed a bit going on in F@H land, saw the new v7 client for Linux and it all looks to be graphic based.

Is it possible to run it in CLI only? I don't have graphics on any of my linux boxen, just shell access.

Any tips would be appreciated, have some dual hex's freed up for a while and I'd like to not waste that time sitting idle.

*edit* I guess my point is the instructions online say to install the client (easy) and the control (also easy) but then to launch the F@H Control app from the desktop (not so easy in cli w/o some more splaining on where things are/what needs to be done)

Any particular reason why you want to use the v7 client? I think everyone else with CLI Linux is still using 6.34.

Nice to see you back in the [H]ard Command Center, Mtnduey!

Agree with Musky here...Using 6.x on my linux 2p.

so...i've missed a bit going on in F@H land, saw the new v7 client for Linux and it all looks to be graphic based.

Is it possible to run it in CLI only? I don't have graphics on any of my linux boxen, just shell access.

Well, you're in luck. While the V7 client has a GUI added, it's still split up into multiple parts, installed separately (the CLI client, the GUI control front end, and the viewer). This allows you to install just the CLI client if you wish.

Or, your other alternative is to install the V6 client as others have already pointed out.

I was just assuming the new client would get the latest cores and the old 6.34 wouldn't. Kind of like previous v6 clients how some couldn't do bigadv, etc...

for 6.34 is -bigadv -bigbeta still the way to go? These are dual hex servers with 2.53ghz as the slowest

Just straight -bigbeta, 2.66Ghz is the absolute minimum for finishing an 8101 within the deadline. -bigbeta will allow access to the older 69xx WU, which are far more beneficial

Actually, -smp and -bigbeta are the two flags you want.

But if you are going to run the beta flag, you really should be a member of the beta team so you can report any issues on the foldingforum. Otherwise the beta forum is read-only and you will not get official support outside of that forum with any beta flag. Just sayin'.

But if you are going to run the beta flag, you really should be a member of the beta team so you can report any issues on the foldingforum. Otherwise the beta forum is read-only and you will not get official support outside of that forum with any beta flag. Just sayin'.

I get what you are saying but how does this work:-

smp 24 with the bigbeta flag gets you 690x wu and no support

smp 12 with the bigadv flag gets you 690x wu and all the support you need from FF if things go tit up

That is messed up:confused:

I get what you are saying but how does this work:-

smp 24 with the bigbeta flag gets you 690x wu and no support

smp 12 with the bigadv flag gets you 690x wu and all the support you need from FF if things go tit up

That is messed up:confused:

Kind of laughable isn't it. :p

FWIW I've picked up 2 6903s in the last couple of days using -smp 48 -bigadv.

But that's on v6.

okay I've got a web proxy going now so lets see what a dual x5690 can do

so here's what its looking like with 6.34

Core = 6099
[01:33:02] Completed 10000 out of 500000 steps (2%)
[01:36:30] Completed 15000 out of 500000 steps (3%)
[01:39:59] Completed 20000 out of 500000 steps (4%)

I'll let this guy finish and upload, if the upload goes through the proxy okay I'll try to start things going again

Just straight -bigbeta, 2.66Ghz is the absolute minimum for finishing an 8101 within the deadline. -bigbeta will allow access to the older 69xx WU, which are far more beneficial

This isn't fully true, the units swing, and even I'm having barely scraping by times on my 3.1Ghz vm. I'll get 5-6hrs buffer 1 unit, 1hr the next.

This isn't fully true, the units swing, and even I'm having barely scraping by times on my 3.1Ghz vm. I'll get 5-6hrs buffer 1 unit, 1hr the next.

I'm talking dedicated 24/7 folding on a native install, i'm guessing this is your daily rig under a VM?

As Nathan_P pointed out VM or Native makes a difference also which are you running.

its VM... I know why my time sucks, ie. in VM, but running the 8101s, I've had a few faster than the rest. I average about 32:30 tpf on them

I just bumped my vbox image to "above normal" priority. See if i get a boost.

V7 Linux Install Guide

Sections to note in the guide, terminal install option (with support for GUI, but not required), and the command line only install option. Just saying, when you're ready... ;)

FWIW I am running the V7 client on my linux box at home, an just have the CLI part installed. It seems ti get better PPD than the 6099's on the V6 client.

Just to make sure I'm using the correct flags with the 6.34 client (I would use the v7 but I don't see a way to make it use an http proxy)

-smp -bigbeta

This is a dual x5690

all I'm getting so far is 6097, 6098 and 6099 WU's

As with the v6 client executable, running the V7 CLI as "fahclient --help" (2 dashes, also noted in the V7 install guide) will display all of the configuration options, even more than the commonly used list linked by Tim_H.

For your convenience...

Code:
Usage: fahclient [[--config] <filename>] [OPTIONS]...
Command line options:
  --chdir                 <string>                Change directory before starting server. All files
                                                  opened after this point, such as the configuration
                                                  file, must have paths relative to the new
                                                  directory.
  --config                <string=config.xml>     Set configuration file.
  --configure                                     Create a basic configuration file, then exit.
  --dump                  <string>                Dump either 'all' or a specific work unit,
                                                  identified by its queue ID, then exit.
  --finish                                        Finish all current work units, send the results,
                                                  then exit.
  --help                  [string]                Print help screen or help on a particular option
                                                  and exit.
  --info                                          Print application and system information and exit.
  --install-service                               Install the application as a Win32 service then
                                                  exit.
  --license                                       License information and exit.
  --lifeline              <integer>               The application will watch for this process ID and
                                                  exit if it goes away. Usually the calling process'
                                                  PID.
  --lspci                                         List the PCI bus devices, can be helpful for
                                                  finding GPU vendor and device IDs.
  --print                                         Print configuration and exit.
  --queue-info                                    Print work unit queue then exit.
  --send                                          Send all finished work units, then exit.
  --start-service                                 Start Win32 service then exit.
  --stop-service                                  Stop Win32 service then exit.
  --uninstall-service                             Uninstall the application as a Win32 service then
                                                  exit.
  -v                                              Increase verbosity level.
  --version                                       Print application version and exit.
  -v                                              Increase verbosity level.

Configuration options:
The following options can be specified in a configuration file or on the command
line using the following syntax:
    --<option> <value>
  or:
    --<option>=<value>
  or when marking boolean values true:
    --<option>
  service-description     <string=Folding@home Client>
                                                  The description for the Windows service control
                                                  manager.
  service-restart         <boolean=true>          Configure Windows service to automatically restart
                                                  on failure.
  service-restart-delay   <integer=5000>          The amount of time in milliseconds to delay
                                                  between restarts of the Windows service.

Client Control:
  cycle-rate              <double=4>              The maximum cycle frequence in Hz.
  cycles                  <integer=-1>            Run at most this many cycles. A value less than
                                                  zero means run indefinately.
  data-directory          <string=.>              The directory, relative to the current directory,
                                                  where WU data and cores are stored.
  disable-project-lookup  <boolean=false>         Turn off project downloading of project
                                                  descriptions from Stanford servers
  exec-directory          <string=C:\Program Files\FAHClient>
                                                  The directory, relative to the current executable,
                                                  where executables and dynamic libraries are
                                                  located.
  exit-when-done          <boolean=false>         Exit when all slots are paused.
  threads                 <integer=4>             The number of unit processing threads.

Configuration:
  config-rotate           <boolean=true>          Rotate the configuration file to a backup when
                                                  saving would overwrite the previous configuration.
  config-rotate-dir       <string=configs>        Put rotated configs in this directory.
  config-rotate-max       <integer=16>            The maximum number of rotated configuration files
                                                  to keep. A value of zero will keep all
                                                  configuration file backups.

Error Handling:
  max-slot-errors         <integer=5>             The maximum number of errors before a slot is
                                                  paused.
  max-unit-errors         <integer=5>             The maximum number of errors before a work unit is
                                                  dumped.

FahCore Control:
  checkpoint              <integer=15>            Tell cores to checkpoint at least every # minutes.
  core-dir                <string=cores>          The directory to store core files in.
  core-prep               <string>                Run this command on cores after they are
                                                  downloaded. This option is useful for running
                                                  Linux cores on BSD machines.
  core-priority           <string=idle>           Set the core priority. Valid values are: idle or
                                                  low
  cpu-affinity            <boolean=false>         If true, try to lock core processes to a fixed CPU
  cpu-usage               <integer=100>           The maximum percentage of the CPU a core should
                                                  use.
  no-assembly             <boolean=false>         Tell cores to disable optimized assembly code.

Folding Slot Configuration:
  cause-pref              <string=ANY>            The cause you prefer to support.
  client-subtype          <string=STDCLI>         The client subtype
  client-type             <string=normal>         The client type. Can be 'normal', 'advanced' or
                                                  'beta'.
  cpu-species             <string=X86_PENTIUM_II>
                                                  CPU species.
  cpu-type                <string=X86>            CPU type.
  cpus                    <integer=-1>            How many CPUs a slot should use. <= 0 will use all
                                                  the CPUs detected in the system.
  cuda-index              <integer=0>             The CUDA device index of the GPU, counting starts
                                                  from 0.
  extra-core-args         <string>                Pass extra arguments to the core.
  gpu                     <boolean=false>         Enable or disable auto-confiugration of GPU slots,
                                                  requires appropriate hardware.
  gpu-index               <string>                The index of the GPU as detected by the client.
                                                  This index corresponds directly to the GPUs listed
                                                  in the client's '--info' output.
  gpu-usage               <integer=100>           GPU usage as a percent from 10-100
  max-packet-size         <string=normal>         Max size in bytes of a work unit packet. Can be
                                                  small=5MB, normal=10MB, big=500MB or a number.
  memory                  <string>                Override memory, in bytes, reported to
                                                  Folding@home.
  opencl-index            <integer=0>             The OpenCL device index of the GPU, counting
                                                  starts from 0.
  os-species              <string=WIN_XP>         Operating system species.
  os-type                 <string=WIN32>          Operating system type.
  project-key             <integer=0>             Key for access to restricted testing projects.
  smp                     <boolean=true>          Enable or disable auto-configuration of SMP slots,
                                                  requires appropriate hardware.

Logging:
  log                     <string=log.txt>        Set log file.
  log-color               <boolean=false>         Print log messages with ANSI color coding.
  log-crlf                <boolean=true>          Print carriage return and line feed at end of log
                                                  lines.
  log-date                <boolean=false>         Print date information with log entries.
  log-date-periodically   <integer=21600>         Print date to log before new log entries if so
                                                  many seconds have passed since the last date was
                                                  printed.
  log-debug               <boolean=true>          Disable or enable debugging info.
  log-domain              <boolean=false>         Print domain information with log entries.
  log-domain-levels       <string ...>            Set log levels by domain. Format is:
                                                  	<domain>[:i|d|t]:<level> ...
                                                  Entries are separated by white-space and or
                                                  commas.
                                                  	i - info
                                                  	d - debug
                                                  For example: server:i:3 module:6
                                                  Set 'server' domain info messages to level 3 and
                                                  'module' info and debug messages to level 6. All
                                                  other domains will follow the log verbosity level.
  log-header              <boolean=true>          Enable log message headers.
  log-level               <boolean=true>          Print level information with log entries.
  log-no-info-header      <boolean=true>          Don't print 'INFO(#):' in header.
  log-redirect            <boolean=false>         Redirect all output to log file. Implies
                                                  !log-to-screen.
  log-rotate              <boolean=true>          Rotate log files on each run.
  log-rotate-dir          <string=logs>           Put rotated logs in this directory.
  log-rotate-max          <integer=16>            Maximum number of rotated logs to keep.
  log-short-level         <boolean=false>         Print shortened level information with log
                                                  entries.
  log-simple-domains      <boolean=true>          Remove any leading directories and trailing file
                                                  extensions from domains so that source code file
                                                  names can be easily used as log domains.
  log-thread-id           <boolean=false>         Print id with log entries.
  log-thread-prefix       <boolean=true>          Print thread prefixes, if set, with log entries.
  log-time                <boolean=true>          Print time information with log entries.
  log-to-screen           <boolean=true>          Log to screen.
  log-truncate            <boolean=false>         Truncate log file.
  verbosity               <integer=3>             Set logging level for INFO and DEBUG messages.

Network:
  proxy                   <string=>               Set proxy for outgoing HTTP connections
  proxy-enable            <boolean=false>         Enable proxy configuration
  proxy-pass              <string=>               Set password for proxy connections
  proxy-user              <string=>               Set user name for proxy connections

Process Control:
  child                   <boolean=false>         Disable 'daemon', 'pid' and 'respawn' options.
                                                  Also defaults 'log-to-screen' to false. Used
                                                  internally.
  daemon                  <boolean=false>         Short for --pid --service --respawn --log=''
  pid                     <boolean=false>         Create PID file.
  pid-file                <string=Folding@home Client.pid>
                                                  Name of PID file.
  priority                <string>                Set the process priority. Valid values are: idle,
                                                  low, normal, high or realtime.
  respawn                 <boolean=false>         Run the application as a child process and respawn
                                                  if it is killed or exits.
  service                 <boolean=false>         Ignore user logout or hangup and interrupt signals

Remote Command Server:
  command-address         <string=0.0.0.0>        The address to which the command server should be
                                                  bound. Setting this to an empty string will
                                                  disable the command server.
  command-allow           <string=127.0.0.1>      IP address ranges that are allowed access to the
                                                  command server
  command-allow-no-pass   <string=127.0.0.1>      IP address ranges that are allowed access to the
                                                  command server with out a password if the
                                                  'password' option is set. These addresses will
                                                  also have to be allowed IP based access.
  command-deny            <string=0.0.0.0/0>      IP address ranges that are denied access to the
                                                  command server
  command-deny-no-pass    <string=0.0.0.0/0>      IP address ranges that are not allowed access to
                                                  the command server with out a password if the
                                                  'password' option is set. Overriden by
                                                  command-allow-no-pass
  command-port            <integer=36330>         The port to which the command server should be
                                                  bound.
  eval                    <string>                Evaluate the argument as a script.
  password                <string>                Set a command server password. Warning, setting a
                                                  password disables the default IP address blocking.
  script                  <string>                Run commands from a script file.

Slot Control:
  max-shutdown-wait       <integer=60>            The maxumum amount of time to wait in seconds for
                                                  a unit to exit on shutdown.
  pause-on-battery        <boolean=false>         Pause the client or slot when the OS indicates the
                                                  machine is running on battery power.
  pause-on-start          <boolean=false>         If true the slot will be started in a paused
                                                  state.

User Information:
  machine-id              <integer=0>             The machine ID.
  passkey                 <string=>               Your passkey.
  team                    <string=0>              Your team number.
  user                    <string=Anonymous>      Your user name.

Work Unit Control:
  dump-after-deadline     <boolean=true>          Dump units if their deadline has passed.
  max-queue               <integer=16>            Maximum units per slot in the work queue.
  max-units               <integer=0>             Process at most this number of units, then pause.
  next-unit-percentage    <integer=99>            Pre-download the next work unit when the current
                                                  one is this far along. Values less than 90 are not
                                                  allowed.

okay switched to V7 client

got proxy working fine

currently running just smp mode on a dual x5690

Here is what I'm getting right now:

WU = 8049
00:18:28:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 25000 out of 250000 steps (10%)
00:18:59:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 27500 out of 250000 steps (11%)
00:19:29:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 30000 out of 250000 steps (12%)
00:20:00:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 32500 out of 250000 steps (13%)
00:20:31:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 35000 out of 250000 steps (14%)
00:21:02:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 37500 out of 250000 steps (15%)
00:21:32:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 40000 out of 250000 steps (16%)
00:22:03:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 42500 out of 250000 steps (17%)

Based on that, do you think I should stick with smp 24 or bump it up to bigadv or something? (I've been out of the F@H loop for a while as you can see from my stats, so help is appreciated)

With those chips i would try bigadv, x5670's will make the deadlines ou you should be good.

switched to bigadv, first one I got:

WU = 7647
21:40:52:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 750000 out of 2500000 steps (30%)
21:47:15:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 775000 out of 2500000 steps (31%)
21:53:36:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 800000 out of 2500000 steps (32%)
21:59:51:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 825000 out of 2500000 steps (33%)
22:06:06:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 850000 out of 2500000 steps (34%)
22:12:21:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 875000 out of 2500000 steps (35%)
22:18:40:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 900000 out of 2500000 steps (36%)

Is that fast enough to jump to bigbeta?

Bigadv is the big units. This is not a big unit.

Bigbeta will give you the same units as bigadv does, as youre a 24t setup.

gotcha, so I'm just not getting actual big units yet

guess I'll try to be more patient.

does bigbeta require more than 24 threads?

16 cores (16 threads), real or virtual, are the minimum requirement for bigadv and bigbeta projects

gotcha, so I'm just not getting actual big units yet

guess I'll try to be more patient.

does bigbeta require more than 24 threads?

Umm you should be what are the flags you are using.

Flags should be
client-type
bigadv

max-packet-size
big

Okay here is what I added, does this look correct?

<max-packet-size string='big'/>

This is what I see in the log now:
05:43:25: <!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->
05:43:25: <max-packet-size v='true'/>

Is that correct? I kind of expected it to say big in the log somewhere but I dont see it.

nm I figured it out :D

<max-packet-size value='big'/>

shows up in the log with:

06:01:27: <!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->
06:01:27: <max-packet-size v='big'/>

this 8049 WU is due to complete shortly, will see what I get next

okay this looks a bit "bigger"

06:07:52:WU00:FS00:0xa5:project: 8101 (Run 7, Clone 4, Gen 91)
06:08:02:WU00:FS00:0xa5:Completed 0 out of 250000 steps (0%)
06:37:06:WU00:FS00:0xa5:Completed 2500 out of 250000 steps (1%)

Yes sir, 8101 is a -bigadv unit. That is about all the bigadv units you can expect to receive now.

okay this looks a bit "bigger"

06:07:52:WU00:FS00:0xa5:project: 8101 (Run 7, Clone 4, Gen 91)
06:08:02:WU00:FS00:0xa5:Completed 0 out of 250000 steps (0%)
06:37:06:WU00:FS00:0xa5:Completed 2500 out of 250000 steps (1%)

Now you got it and if the tpf stays there you should complete it in about 2.2 days which gives you about 110,000 ppd but it does not give you much time to spare the preferred deadline is 2.4 days so you will be cutting t close.

You know, I feel so dumb for not spending 60 bucks more and getting 5640s now...

I hope everyday they ditch the stupid 8101s for happier units

Now you got it and if the tpf stays there you should complete it in about 2.2 days which gives you about 110,000 ppd but it does not give you much time to spare the preferred deadline is 2.4 days so you will be cutting t close.

Should be getting more than that with 5690's. My 5670's can get 120k out of 8101

these are non-oc'd boxen, just factory clocks as it's a OEM server and I can't really tweak it.

Back